Was what the teacher said fair? (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
You need to accept that your teacher is incapable of teaching harder content. Most teachers are like this including mine; understand that it is somewhat NORMAL. In fact, whilst my tutor was very capable (elected into maths olympiad boot camp), he rarely went through harder questions but instead only focused on strong foundations from which I could solve harder problems. I ended up with a 98 & 93 in 3U and 4U respectively (though I argue I could've gotten 94 or 95 easily in 4U if I didn't miss seeing 2 sets of questions).

My point: take it upon yourself to reach that higher level. You have a lot of resources around you including boredofstudies which was absolutely vital for me as I didn't have peers that could help me with questions coming from a rank ~400 school. A teacher in my opinion is simply a guide and a provider of resources, so you don't really need them. If you have troubles, just post a question here.

Last edited:

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
That was totally unacceptable of your teacher! I mean, regardless of whether you have a tutor or not, the most basic aim for a teacher is to help a student in any problems they have with maths-related questions. I think your teacher is incompetent, I mean its great she's organising this study session but if she isn't willing to help you with a tutoring question related to the maths topic that's unacceptable.
Don't worry about her. A lot of students have tutors so teachers shouldn't be biased or angry against this.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh if you know the teacher well and they seem nice, they could have just been having a horrible day altogether and really didn't want to be there.
That is exactly what I wanted to say, lol. But to OP, don't get too upset over one instance, life is rarely fair and you meet all kinds of people, since you know you can't change your teacher, just try to deal with the situation as best as you can and don't lose faith in continuing to study hard, maybe you can ask the questions on BOS forums-I am sure there are plenty of maths geniuses on here that are willing to help you out:)

milkytea99

HSC
I know that the word "tutor" is a taboo in school and I realise that teachers won't be helpful when they know the student goes tutoring. So at school I never let anyone and even the teacher knows that I go to tutor. So even if I have questions from tutor, I would just copy the maths question down and ask my teacher. Or just say that I got this question from a friend in another school. So that I don't create any conflict and will be In peace.

Last edited:
HSC
Woah that teacher is so uncalled for!! What she said was totally out of line and it's definitely not fair on you to to have her behave in such a rude manner direct towards you. As someone who aspires to teach senior mathematics one day, it's actually not that big a deal to have students doing extra tuition outside classes. It's common, from what I've seen so far, especially for seniors. Since those questions were from past papers, the content is all relevant and as a teacher she should have been able to handle that and help you - since that's what teachers are for. And seriously, #1 rule of being a teacher is the fact that there's no such thing as a stupid question.

You didn't overreact - I would've been major pissed if a teacher did that to me. ^^

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Woah that teacher is so uncalled for!! What she said was totally out of line and it's definitely not fair on you to to have her behave in such a rude manner direct towards you. As someone who aspires to teach senior mathematics one day, it's actually not that big a deal to have students doing extra tuition outside classes. It's common, from what I've seen so far, especially for seniors. Since those questions were from past papers, the content is all relevant and as a teacher she should have been able to handle that and help you - since that's what teachers are for. And seriously, #1 rule of being a teacher is the fact that there's no such thing as a stupid question.

You didn't overreact - I would've been major pissed if a teacher did that to me. ^^
Yes there is such thing as a stupid question, there was a student in my class that asked my maths teacher "why is the remainder theorem called the remainder theorem?"

srs

vivo vixi victum

HSC
N/A
Coming from someone who used to attend CC's school and knows the teachers (and them) quite well, I'd agree with everyone above that the (yes, old) teacher is a grumpy lady who picks on some and glorifies others without reason. Pick yourself up and dust yourself off - going with what others have said, make the most of all the other resources you have, and try to make the most of the teacher as best as you can also.

Also, I quite like the above ideas of pissing the teacher off by putting them on the spot. I don't condone or recommend it, I just really, really like it. ;)

P.S.: Almost forgot to mention the best part of this - about half a year ago, I remember CC talking to me, quite upset, over the fact that this specific teacher had told them to go to tutoring for maths because they "weren't keeping up" and were "not smart or capable enough to pass year 12 without one" (keep in mind they had a rank of 13th in quite a big cohort (I think 150 or so?? CC, correct me if I'm wrong), and 5th or so in their class of (I assume) 30ish, with no tutoring at all in their academic years prior). *eye roll*

[Sarcasm] Yeah, personally, I'd nominate this teacher for the 'Australian Teacher of the Year Award'. [/Sarcasm]

Christofu01

HSC
My maths teacher doesn't care at all if we have tutoring outside of school, and doesn't mind if we bring questions to her from our tutoring. She also highly encourages us to do past paper questions to prepare ourselves for the type of questions that we could be asked.

So basically, to me it seems like what your teacher said was fairly unfair, but then again it would change between schools and teachers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)