Weekend cars. (1 Viewer)

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Classic RX-7 arent bad as well..
I am really regretting I didn't buy a SA22C when I was shopping for a car, they were sooo cheap when I was car shopping... they've gone up in price a little bit now...

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
What most people here haven't considered is that while you CAN buy some of these cars cheaply, the servicing costs or simple the cost of bringing the car back up to scratch can easily run you into another 30% or 40% of your purchase price. Unless you simply don't care that you're driving a disintegrating wreck. RX7's are a classic example, apex seal failure and subsequent engine rebuilds cost a small fortune.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What most people here haven't considered is that while you CAN buy some of these cars cheaply, the servicing costs or simple the cost of bringing the car back up to scratch can easily run you into another 30% or 40% of your purchase price. Unless you simply don't care that you're driving a disintegrating wreck. RX7's are a classic example, apex seal failure and subsequent engine rebuilds cost a small fortune.
Do remember that with any rotary engine they pretty much lose output and get damaged frequently with use.

As for any of these more performance type sports vehicles, they require a lot more maintenance than people think.

My ej25 barely requires maintenance at the moment, but I have a feeling if I don't sell soon then I'll start finding potential chassis problems soon (engine is completely fine though and as healthy as ever).

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
My ej25 barely requires maintenance at the moment, but I have a feeling if I don't sell soon then I'll start finding potential chassis problems soon (engine is completely fine though and as healthy as ever).
I went from a 2008 NA to a 2007 turbo and my running costs practically doubled.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I went from a 2008 NA to a 2007 turbo and my running costs practically doubled.
Well I think that is more related to the fact that I said this:

As for any of these more performance type sports vehicles, they require a lot more maintenance than people think.
Indeed once you go for something that pushes equipment to the limits, you require more frequent parts replacement or servicing. I basically only replaced my rocker cover gasket after having the car for 70 000 km. Pretty much everything else since we have gotten the car has not required a change (exception of most oils and fluids, battery, brakes (brand new ones at the moment) and the tyres) and is working fine (though I keep complaining about the brakes but a mechanic says they are working perfectly fine after doing some testing on them). My brakes are brand new, brake fluid is new, everything new, still finding it that if I ever have to slam the brakes, I'd be doomed (luckily I don't drive in a way that requires slamming of brakes). Also, brand new power steering pump, brand new fluid, still not as easy to turn as some other vehicles' steering lol (with good tyres haha).

But yeah, in general, once you go for more performance you need more engine maintenance rather than chassis type replacements. Everything I said above was a chassis related problem (power steering, radiator and stuff needed to be changed when someone whom I told not to drive in a certain way crashed it). Other than that, the rocker cover gasket change is expected out of an ej25 so that doesn't really count. I have a feeling there will be a day where a new starter motor may be required in a few years time, but hopefully that's when I don't own it anymore.

Since most weekend cars people consider are performance cars, I couldn't agree more on your point regarding running costs.

Although your 2007 turbo is more of an everyday car but you use it as a weekend car, it relates to performance so the point still stands :p

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
i guess aerodynamics... idk I just wanna drive the thing..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)