• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

weirdo question (1 Viewer)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
awesome question. it sure worked my brains out.:jaw:

kwabon

Banned
HSC
fark sorry, by the time i wrote the first letter of my question, i figured what i did wrong and i stupidly clicked enter, and was like, "oh fark".

epic fail thread by me, mods please delete, unless bosers want to do some shit here. ;)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
ah, this is going to transfer into the most epic thread on BoS... der... -_-

and clearly the answer was x^2.y+z not xyz... farrout.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, this is a really hard question. Don't think it's that easy to solve! lmao.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
fark sorry, by the time i wrote the first letter of my question, i figured what i did wrong and i stupidly clicked enter, and was like, "oh fark".

epic fail thread by me, mods please delete, unless bosers want to do some shit here. ;)
You can delete it yourself with thread tools.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I guess it depends on your construction of w

if w = v x v

then,

w = vv

Thus,

w = v^2

is correct. :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it depends on your construction of w

if w = v x v

then,

w = vv

Thus,

w = v^2

is correct. :)
I always wondered why English speaking people don't call w "double v" as it looks more like two v's rather than two u's.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It has to do with the vowel sounds. With the development of latin, v did not represent the appropriate tone of the sound. Or something like that. I'm sure you could wikipedia it to find a better definition. :)

Brontecat

HSC
W
"The earliest form of the letter W was a doubled V used in the 7th century by the earliest writers of Old English; it is from this <uu> digraph that the modern name "double U" comes. This digraph was not extensively used, as its sound was usually represented instead by the runic wynn (Ƿ), but W gained popularity after the Norman Conquest, and by 1300 it had taken wynn's place in common use. Other forms of the letter were a pair of Vs whose branches cross in the middle. An obsolete, cursive form found in the nineteenth century in both English and German was in the form of an "n" whose rightmost branch curved around as in a cursive "v" (compare the shape of ƕ).

The sounds /w/ (spelled with U/V) and /b/ (spelled B) of Classical Latin developed into a bilabial fricative /β/ between vowels, in Early Medieval Latin. Therefore, V no longer represented adequately the labial-velar approximant sound /w/ of Old High German. In later German, this phoneme /w/ became /v/; this is why German W represents that sound. In Dutch, it became a labiodental approximant /ʋ/ (with the exception of words with EEUW, which have /eːβ/), or other diphthongs containing -uw. However, in many Dutch speaking areas, such as Flanders and Suriname the /β/ pronunciation is used at all times.

The ancient Phoenician letter shin had a W shape; the sounds and histories of the two letters, however, are entirely unrelated—shin represented /ʃ/ or /s/, and developed into the Latin alphabet S."

... the correct answer according to wikipedia :)

-Ego

HSC
wikipedia cannot be trusted.

then again....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)