Welcome to Faculty of Commerce and Economics (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
Can anyone tell me (preferably as objectively as possible):

1. Is Economics better at UNSW or USYD? What are the differences, if any?

2. In the Financial Review (Monday 24/11/03), it said that there was a concern by the Economic Society of Australia that standards in Economics courses were falling... what does that mean exactly and has anyone experienced major problems in Economics courses that are out of their control and a hindrance to their studies???
1. This depends - its generally accepted that the Faculty of Commerce and Economics at UNSW is one of the best in the south east asian region, and has a very good School of Economics - however, if u are intending on a more Social Science side of economics, u should consider USyd's degree, as it is more flexible in that regard. However I believe the straight Economics degree at UNSW is one of the best out there, and ppl with an Economics degree are usually promoted much faster.
Degrees at both uni's are essentially the same, except at UNSW, one of your majors has to be in an Economics discipline, I am not sure how this works at Sydney.

2. Well, as most people here are 1st years', we have only done foundation economics courses. I really couldnt compare, except the fact that in this year's Macroeconomics 1 course, there has been a shift in focus from simply the short run, to more of a long-run orientation. Bambul is a person to ask about this.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Thanks a lot Minai.

Chat to you about it further on msn soon (I hope James told you I needed to speak to you! Otherwise you're staring blankly at the screen right now I'm guessing...)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
Thanks a lot Minai.

Chat to you about it further on msn soon (I hope James told you I needed to speak to you! Otherwise you're staring blankly at the screen right now I'm guessing...)
No worries.

Well, I guess u should add me to MSN then - PM me for it

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
When you choose BCom, and you get in to it, is the only other thing you have to choose at enrolment your major?
Like is BCom, majoring in Actuary sufficient?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by marsenal
When you choose BCom, and you get in to it, is the only other thing you have to choose at enrolment your major?
Like is BCom, majoring in Actuary sufficient?
Yes, at enrolment, u choose ur major/s, and if u want to combine with Arts or Science or Engineering etc

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by marsenal
Ok cool...so you don't have to choose like minors or anything?
Well, not really
either way, u can change them whenever, usually mid year or end of year

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Im planning to do commerce (actuarial) next year and i dropped economics just before the hsc year. Although i heard they brush over the stuff learned in the hsc in 1st year, i dun want 2 walk in completely unprepared as I only have a very flimsy memory of the economics prelim course. Would looking through HSC economics text books by dixon and riley et al be an good idea or are there any uni books you would recommend?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
Im planning to do commerce (actuarial) next year and i dropped economics just before the hsc year. Although i heard they brush over the stuff learned in the hsc in 1st year, i dun want 2 walk in completely unprepared as I only have a very flimsy memory of the economics prelim course. Would looking through HSC economics text books by dixon and riley et al be an good idea or are there any uni books you would recommend?
I wouldn't bother - its better going in without knowing much, because it encourages u to actually learn, and not be lazy and complacent. I know a lot of ppl that didnt do HSC economics in high school, but got HD's in Microeconomics, whereas ppl that did economics became complacent, didnt study, and therefore failed.

HSC
so... if u havent done economics or business related subjects.. u can still kik ass??:D

and i was wondering if i did commerce can i add law after the first year??? and do i still have a good chance if i do arts or soc sci at unsw???:confused:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by zaijan_85
so... if u havent done economics or business related subjects.. u can still kik ass??:D

and i was wondering if i did commerce can i add law after the first year??? and do i still have a good chance if i do arts or soc sci at unsw???:confused:
yes of course!

u can add law yes..but u have to transfer to it thru UAC...and u have to do well (since Law has high cutoffs)
if u do arts, there is no difference, u still have to get certain grades to get a Law transfer regardless of wat degree u take

mnbvc

hey i was just wondering is it true you cant do a combined degree with commerce and double major or something?

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
I'm thinking of doing a BCom/BSoc Sci, next year. Thing is i'll probably won't make it, My UAI this yr was 95.9, so I'll most likely miss the cutoff for BCom, Now if I do BEco/BSoc Sci first year, are my chances of transferring high?, I heard that its like 50%UAI and 50% Uni grades when they take tranfers into account. What GPA am I looking at in order to be able to transfer, And do I even have a decent chance of transferring into the BCom....
Thanks

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by mnbvc
hey i was just wondering is it true you cant do a combined degree with commerce and double major or something?
With a BCom/BArts or BCom/BSocSci, u can double major in Commerce and single major in Arts (3 majors all up)
but in a BCom/BScience, or BCom/BEngineering, u can only do a single major for each degree

Originally posted by scut
I'm thinking of doing a BCom/BSoc Sci, next year. Thing is i'll probably won't make it, My UAI this yr was 95.9, so I'll most likely miss the cutoff for BCom, Now if I do BEco/BSoc Sci first year, are my chances of transferring high?, I heard that its like 50%UAI and 50% Uni grades when they take tranfers into account. What GPA am I looking at in order to be able to transfer, And do I even have a decent chance of transferring into the BCom....
Thanks
Hopefully the cutoff stays below 96, but anyway, yes u have a very good chance of transferring provided u get a Distinction average in first year - and yes its 50% uai, 50% GPA - a GPA of 6.0 is exactly distinction average...so with ur UAI im guessing a GPA of at least 5.75 would be the absolute minimum u should look at

jpr333

HSC
Hmmm read somewhere the requirements for a transfer into law perhaps (?) at Syd Uni was 50/50 (UAI/GPA) 25/75 NSW. Off the topic a bit, but seeing the 50/50 for nsw Minai you mentioned is only for the Commerce/Economics Faculty? Just need to clarify this

HSC
Is it true dat u can combine n e 2 degrees together once u get into ur chosen uni????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)