What are people creating for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Dr_Doom

HSC
I have decided I am going to make a 3D game using the 3dstate engine.
It's really easy to work with. I'm thinking either a 3D shooter game, or a racing game. Or Both! That would be sweet :D

I was going to make a web browser with VB, but it was really easy and I didn't think it would be marked very high. I couldve added tabs, but seemed all a bit pointless.

I spoke to someone who made an rpg game, and got 39.5 / 40 . That inspired me to make a game :p

Anywayz, what are other people making for their final HSC software projects?

Thanks,
Josh

Ghost1788

HSC
remember its the theory not too much the programming that is marked in most schools.. as such concentrate more on theory...i made that mistake

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
I have decided I am going to make a 3D game using the 3dstate engine.
It's really easy to work with. I'm thinking either a 3D shooter game, or a racing game. Or Both! That would be sweet :D
You do realise a lot of the marks for the major project will come from the theory of the assignment, undertaking the system development stages, completing diagrams, research, social and ethical issues etc etc.

The prototype is worth 20 marks out of a possible 150 marks. Not seeing the point in making a web browser that has the potential to get you full marks with less time spent on making a prototype (which should be all that the major project asks for).

Dr_Doom said:
I was going to make a web browser with VB, but it was really easy and I didn't think it would be marked very high. I couldve added tabs, but seemed all a bit pointless.
Having completed the preliminary course and through talking with your teacher, ex-students it should be clear that a lot of SDD is theory based a common miss conception is that it isn’t yes there is a lot of theory based programming concepts that can be applied to actually programming but their isn’t many if any other assignments besides the major project where you would be asked to create a complex program.

Dr_Doom said:
Anywayz, what are other people making for their final HSC software projects?
My major project in which I have already completed Stage 1 for is Quiz that will be completed in Visual Basic with a backend database containing the questions\answers etc.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Wow I didn't know there was so much theory..

Our SD teacher isn't in the room 99% of the time, so I don't really know what its about.

He just handed us a piece of paper for our HSC project and thats it lol.

He does teach sometimes, but I forget most..

I decided, I will use VB.NET 2003, with 3DSTATE's engine. And I will make a 3d RPG game, either like crash bandicoot, or warcraft. I want to make it multiplayer aswell.

I would demonstrate each step, and take alot of screenshots, to build up the folio and explain how I made stuff. If your using 3D graphics, you have to think in 3 dimentions, with x, y and z axis. I think it will take some getting used to..

Thanks,
Josh

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Dr Doom it does of course depend on the marks given to each section, weighting of the major project and what it asks for. If and I am assuming so that it asks for a prototype then that’s all it has to be a prototype not every aspect of the program has to be finished but for the most part the basics do so your teacher can see where it was headed.

Also in the brief for the major project at my school you need to complete a problem statement, come up with a scenario etc does your idea fit that? Remember the scale of the project someone with a simple tick tack toe program can get if not full marks close it it as they are usually the ones who understand the course and know that it is not all about programming and that theory work carries a huge weighting.

Don't get to blown away in the solution remember that there are other classes with other major projects and time is limited if you are to complete your major project you will need to schedule everything in order to get it complete in time. Remember sometimes the smallest programs can come with the greatest reward...

sunny

meh.
HSC
No use guessing, ask your teacher for the marking criteria first.

Mumma

HSC
Im making a top-down multiplayer tank deathmatch game using Python . No fancy pre-made engines or anything - just using a python SDL wrapper (pygame) and a networking framework (Twisted). Everything else is handcoded ... down to the buttons themselves. It very rewarding and fun, but its a massive project. Check this out - dedicated server with running console... that command console took me a while to get right! Its even got a help system for commands. The help library is built during loading from an external file, so its very easy to maintain. The console is accesible anytime during the game, just flip it on with ~, just like quake and halflife.

Last edited:

Dr_Doom

HSC
Mumma said:
Im making a top-down multiplayer tank deathmatch game using Python . No fancy pre-made engines or anything - just using a python SDL wrapper (pygame) and a networking framework (Twisted). Everything else is handcoded ... down to the buttons themselves. It very rewarding and fun, but its a massive project. Check this out - dedicated server with running console... that command console took me a while to get right! Its even got a help system for commands. The help library is built during loading from an external file, so its very easy to maintain. The console is accesible anytime during the game, just flip it on with ~, just like quake and halflife.
Sounds complicated, do you know where I can get Twister?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
here my 2 cents...

my suggestion is not to make something so grand or fantastic. of course, i dont want to impinge upon ur decision, but do be aware that a lot of marks for the project is awarded for completion of the various stages of the software lifecycle. a diary is EXTREMELY important - the marker wants to know about how you developed the program, the decisions you have made, the problems u have encountered and the solutions you have come up with. that, along with other documentation is FAR FAR more important than the actual program itself.

however, i dont want to water down ur ambitions and desires. theres nothing restricting you from making anything you want. i did a chinese chess program with tutorials, and even without the AI, i found it to be challenging and complex concept-wise and coding-wise. just keep in mind that it is the process that matters rather than the end-product.

you might say that it is the journey itself, not the destination, that counts. ;)

good luck and have fun with ur projects!

Dr_Doom

HSC
Wow a whole engine. Yeah I have the source code for doom in VB using the 3DState engine. I also got some cs maps and used them on the engine aswell.

There is alot involved in making an engine. Good luck to you..

Josh

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Nothing wrong with that as long as it can meet the requirements people have to remember that a lot of the major project is theory based....

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
are you guys starting the major project in advance of the class or has your teacher given you notification and explained it etc. My teacher has not said a word about a major project.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
No my class has already been issued with the major project and have already completed stage 1 awaiting the results first day back this term :D. Can't belive that you haven't even been issued with it yet, best to start thinking about what you are going to do and make a start now.

Dr_Doom

HSC
We have been issued it but I think I lost it lol..

Well we still haven't got back our yearly assesment for the peliminary course. Our teacher takes ages to mark anything! lol

"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one." - Bill Gates
Thats what my mom always says lol.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
And yet it is what Bill Gates says maybe he is speaking from experience, well its a good quote and I like it.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
We made an Instant Messaging program that ran over the network as well as the Internet. Had a common whiteboard in it and some other things, and at the time the interface looked cool, but in retrospect it's really lame :p

'Twas fun though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)