What are u doing this Holiday? (merged) (1 Viewer)

tezable

HSC
Re: What are u doing this Holiday?

competing at the sydney royal easter show!!!!

yay!!

oh and a modern history assessment that i probably have to do st the show....sitting in the lofts...surrounded by horses and little girls...mmm...fun

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC

thebeardedlady said:
I'm visiting some family over the long weekend.
Going to the Blues and Roots fest while I'm up there.

Then coming back.
Fixing up a fuckload of class notes.
Fixing my budget.
Then spending alot of time with friends I haven't seen for too long. (changed schools.)
/jealous.

I was going to get work at that, but I found that I would be away. Stupid time.

`kyttie said:
Mostly schoolwork, since our school gives assignments specifically for holidays.
And tons of physio too, maybe I can get back out on the beach and surf if my knee can handle it. Also this holiday, I'm going to reformat and dual-boot XP with Ubuntu. I'm still a tiny bit hesitant with the dual-booting, though...

*dr00lz at the thought of at least 2gigs of RAM, and a 2.2*Ghz processor, and at least 19-inch monitor, and a terabyte HDD*

Heheh. I'm going to be compiling my b'day list of Things-I-Desperately-Want.
And they're all related to computers. Wow.
Dual booting is REALLY easy. I did it last holidays. It'll just take a day or two of your time to get Ubuntu completely set up, but it is so worth it. If you need help with the dual booting thing, throw me a line. Then again, maybe you don't want my help - i'm the guy that didn't set up his second hard drive in the BIOS after he installed it. o_O

I'm thinking of formatting my Linux Partition and trying another distro for Term 2 over the hols. Or maybe just changing to KDE. I'll see whether I have time.

LatK7 said:
Software Tutorials
Sounds like a plan.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

In addition to sleeping, I might do some of the following:
- Extension 2 maths work
- Legal notes
- SOR1 assignment
- Cosmology Modules

Probably only get the first and last points done, if any at all.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A

bringbackshred said:
Dual booting is REALLY easy. I did it last holidays. It'll just take a day or two of your time to get Ubuntu completely set up, but it is so worth it. If you need help with the dual booting thing, throw me a line. Then again, maybe you don't want my help - i'm the guy that didn't set up his second hard drive in the BIOS after he installed it. o_O
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. :)

Don't worry though heh, I've done silly things too.
I've wanted to change my XP theme to a visualstyle, but you know how you have to hack the uxtheme.dll file before Windows accepts it and all? Well, I did that all manually, except.. I think I had something else on my clipboard, and instead of replacing the original dll with the hacked version, I replaced it with a different system file on my clipboard (I think it was explorer.exe). I didn't even check to make sure it was right, and I cancelled my way out of Window's evil "Replace if altered system file" policy thing, and rebooted. Argh. Computer boots up with "uxtheme.dll not found in library", with - no desktop, no taskbar, no.. absolutely nothing. No Explorer, especially. Only thing I could do was Ctrl+Alt+Del. Safe Mode was exactly the same. Oh, and no mouse either.

Then I was hit by a brainwave. I went to my little brother's computer, copied the original dll file onto a USB, and came back here. I figured I'd replace it. But.. how, if there's no Explorer? I tried Safe Mode with cmd prompt, and had to remember how to change directories. I cd'd my way to the guessed drive letter of the USB, found the file, but - I hadn't a clue how to copy it. Oh well, I scrapped the whole idea because I was so sick of command prompt.

Then another brain wave hit me. You know in Ctrl+Alt+Del, that "New Task" button? Hit Browse and.. it takes you straight to Explorer! Oh joy! From there, I found the USB, copied the system file and placed it onto my computer, rebooted and.. ta-dah! Life was good again. :D

It was pretty stressful for me though, I had a hand-in assessment on the next day and it was all on my computer. Hadn't gotten into the habit of backing up. Now I always backup to a USB, external drive and FTP server. Talk about paranoia.

Anywho - that was my little adventure. lol

During these holidays though... I want to open up my computer and check which type of RAM I have. Can't remember if it was DDR or.. whatever the other one was. SDR. DD. SD. I don't know, lol. Something like that. And then I can graduate from my inadequate 448megs. *shudder*

Oh and I also want/need to reformat my external drive, and vacuum the dust out of my computer. It's.. dusty in there. :mad1:

Kaitlyn. :cool:
(who's well and truly done ranting for a little while :D)

PS: bringbackshred, which distro are you using now?

jirwin

HSC

williamc said:
Yer but these are the last holidays were we can actually relax a little. Next term holidays trials follow, and the term after the HSC. Our last holidays of relaxation.
:( my trials are at the end of term 2. no relaxation for me these holidays... least i wont have as much to do next holidays tho!

Anyway i have a LARGE to-do list for these holidays... has about 28 things on it and i haven't even really thought about what i need to do.

• Study/Summary notes for ALL subjects - kinda neglected them this term (and term 4)
  • English Essays
  • Revision of Maths Topics
  • Art Major - gotta start my diary over again... its crap
  • Art Case Study Assignment
  • Dnt Major - 150 concept sketches - how exciting NOT
  • Dnt Case Study Assignment
  • Find Related Texts for English and read/watch them
i think that is about all of the main stuff. im also going to do a little bit of relaxing - i could just work during school hours and then relax "after school" or alternate my days... who knows but i am likely to be lucky to get 5% of my work done anyway

-pari-

HSC
N/A

for a complete computer-dummy ...all the above was a complete foreign language to me :)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC

`kyttie said:
Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. :)

Don't worry though heh, I've done silly things too.
I've wanted to change my XP theme to a visualstyle, but you know how you have to hack the uxtheme.dll file before Windows accepts it and all? Well, I did that all manually, except.. I think I had something else on my clipboard, and instead of replacing the original dll with the hacked version, I replaced it with a different system file on my clipboard (I think it was explorer.exe). I didn't even check to make sure it was right, and I cancelled my way out of Window's evil "Replace if altered system file" policy thing, and rebooted. Argh. Computer boots up with "uxtheme.dll not found in library", with - no desktop, no taskbar, no.. absolutely nothing. No Explorer, especially. Only thing I could do was Ctrl+Alt+Del. Safe Mode was exactly the same. Oh, and no mouse either.

Then I was hit by a brainwave. I went to my little brother's computer, copied the original dll file onto a USB, and came back here. I figured I'd replace it. But.. how, if there's no Explorer? I tried Safe Mode with cmd prompt, and had to remember how to change directories. I cd'd my way to the guessed drive letter of the USB, found the file, but - I hadn't a clue how to copy it. Oh well, I scrapped the whole idea because I was so sick of command prompt.

Then another brain wave hit me. You know in Ctrl+Alt+Del, that "New Task" button? Hit Browse and.. it takes you straight to Explorer! Oh joy! From there, I found the USB, copied the system file and placed it onto my computer, rebooted and.. ta-dah! Life was good again. :D

It was pretty stressful for me though, I had a hand-in assessment on the next day and it was all on my computer. Hadn't gotten into the habit of backing up. Now I always backup to a USB, external drive and FTP server. Talk about paranoia.

Anywho - that was my little adventure. lol

During these holidays though... I want to open up my computer and check which type of RAM I have. Can't remember if it was DDR or.. whatever the other one was. SDR. DD. SD. I don't know, lol. Something like that. And then I can graduate from my inadequate 448megs. *shudder*

Oh and I also want/need to reformat my external drive, and vacuum the dust out of my computer. It's.. dusty in there. :mad1:

(who's well and truly done ranting for a little while :D)

PS: bringbackshred, which distro are you using now?
Haha wow. I would never have thought of the command prompt. I'm not great at command line interfaces, although the terminal in Linux is really growing on me.

I know what you mean about backing up too - I recently had my baby (read: 4GB flash drive) stolen. It had all of my work on it, and no backup, except for older stuff that i didn't really need. I was really really freaking out, and i never normally do things like that.. I sure learnt my lesson about backing up for those couple of days it took me to get it back. Then again, I haven't really backed up anyhtign since. I will sart backing up as soon as I get my External Hard Drive and new Laptop though.. I'll need to. Losing my 50GB of music would probably kill me. The good thing is though, I have my music on a separate hard drive to my system files, so if I need to reformat, I'll be fine.

I only have 512 of RAM as well, mind you my PC is a stock piece of crap that is 3 years old.. Folks are buying me a laptop soon, and the funny thing is that it'll kick my PC's arse in every spec out there.

In terms of my Linux distro, I use Ubuntu 6.10. It's good, however there have been a couple of niggily problems lately *looks sternly at Azureus*. Feisty Fawn 7.04 comes out in 9 days though, so we'll see how that goes. I might not change distro after all these holidays, If i have time.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A

bringbackshred said:
Haha wow. I would never have thought of the command prompt. I'm not great at command line interfaces, although the terminal in Linux is really growing on me.

I know what you mean about backing up too - I recently had my baby (read: 4GB flash drive) stolen. It had all of my work on it, and no backup, except for older stuff that i didn't really need. I was really really freaking out, and i never normally do things like that.. I sure learnt my lesson about backing up for those couple of days it took me to get it back. Then again, I haven't really backed up anyhtign since. I will sart backing up as soon as I get my External Hard Drive and new Laptop though.. I'll need to. Losing my 50GB of music would probably kill me. The good thing is though, I have my music on a separate hard drive to my system files, so if I need to reformat, I'll be fine.

I only have 512 of RAM as well, mind you my PC is a stock piece of crap that is 3 years old.. Folks are buying me a laptop soon, and the funny thing is that it'll kick my PC's arse in every spec out there.

In terms of my Linux distro, I use Ubuntu 6.10. It's good, however there have been a couple of niggily problems lately *looks sternly at Azureus*. Feisty Fawn 7.04 comes out in 9 days though, so we'll see how that goes. I might not change distro after all these holidays, If i have time.
Wow, a new computer/laptop would be awesome.
My brother has a laptop, but I can't get used to the no-mouse thing.
So if ever I get a laptop, I'll make sure to get a USB mouse with it or something.

That's amazing though, that someone else I know has as much music as me. :p I have 63gigs of music, 'cept I don't listen to mainstream so each of my songs is about 11 or 12Mb

I can't imagine losing my external drive. I think I'd faint from shock, lol. I use SyncBackSE as my backup program, it took a bit of getting used to at first but I like it because not only does it back up files, but it'll synchronise them between two sources. It's also super-customizable. There's a free version (SyncBack or something), but the commercial one's easy to get as a torrent. /spam.

But I'd love to get Ubuntu, I've already sent for the CD (I would download it, but my CD/DVD-burner's been dead for about two years, heh) and I'm just waiting to get it. Speaking of waiting for CDs, we bought the full version of XP this January, and M$ had this offer going where if you buy a full version of XP between november and february or something, you get a free upgrade to Vista. So I was like, "wow that's unusually generous", until I found out it was Vista Basic - the crippled OS that doesn't even deserve to be called one. Oh well, I ordered it anyway, and I'll stash it away for another year or two before I even touch it. Apparently it doesn't have Fax or Scan support. That's a bit worrying, but I don't know how credible that is. :mad1:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC

`kyttie said:
Wow, a new computer/laptop would be awesome.
My brother has a laptop, but I can't get used to the no-mouse thing.
So if ever I get a laptop, I'll make sure to get a USB mouse with it or something.

That's amazing though, that someone else I know has as much music as me. :p I have 63gigs of music, 'cept I don't listen to mainstream so each of my songs is about 11 or 12Mb

I can't imagine losing my external drive. I think I'd faint from shock, lol. I use SyncBackSE as my backup program, it took a bit of getting used to at first but I like it because not only does it back up files, but it'll synchronise them between two sources. It's also super-customizable. There's a free version (SyncBack or something), but the commercial one's easy to get as a torrent. /spam.

But I'd love to get Ubuntu, I've already sent for the CD (I would download it, but my CD/DVD-burner's been dead for about two years, heh) and I'm just waiting to get it. Speaking of waiting for CDs, we bought the full version of XP this January, and M$ had this offer going where if you buy a full version of XP between november and february or something, you get a free upgrade to Vista. So I was like, "wow that's unusually generous", until I found out it was Vista Basic - the crippled OS that doesn't even deserve to be called one. Oh well, I ordered it anyway, and I'll stash it away for another year or two before I even touch it. Apparently it doesn't have Fax or Scan support. That's a bit worrying, but I don't know how credible that is. :mad1:

What music do you listen to? I'm not a mainstream person either... Ugh.

How long since you sent for Ubuntu? They charge for it now.. :/

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A

Mostly dark ambient, I guess. It doesn't really have a name, bands like Mortesium, Stoa, [N]ever. A bit of industrial. Used to be into heavy metal, but now I don't like it much. I usually have to get my music through 3-gig torrents, it's really hard to find, ugh. I make my own music a lot though, using FLStudio. Fun fun. :D

You?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC

`kyttie said:
Mostly dark ambient, I guess. It doesn't really have a name, bands like Mortesium, Stoa, [N]ever. A bit of industrial. Used to be into heavy metal, but now I don't like it much. I usually have to get my music through 3-gig torrents, it's really hard to find, ugh. I make my own music a lot though, using FLStudio. Fun fun. :D

You?

Mainly metal, although it's funny that my favourite metal incorporates other genres. But I'll listen to just about anything that requires skill to play - this includes, jazz, some classical, blues and whatever else.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A

bringbackshred said:
Mainly metal, although it's funny that my favourite metal incorporates other genres. But I'll listen to just about anything that requires skill to play - this includes, jazz, some classical, blues and whatever else.
Makes sense.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC

Yeah, I'm planning to truy and expand into other genres when I get time (aka not the holidays). I'm looking at things like electronica, etc.

Aphex Twin interests me.

ebonybc

HSC

going to the BLUES FEST. study can slap my arse.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A

bringbackshred said:
Yeah, I'm planning to truy and expand into other genres when I get time (aka not the holidays). I'm looking at things like electronica, etc.

Aphex Twin interests me.
Good idea; I should probably expand my genres of interest too.

bored6

HSC

bringbackshred said:

Aphex Twin interests me.
Aphex twin are mad. Check out Boards of Canada too; similarish ambient / experimental style.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A

bored6 said:
Aphex twin are mad. Check out Boards of Canada too; similarish ambient / experimental style.
Ooh thankyou, I'll make a point of doing so. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)