What are you currently Reading? (2 Viewers)

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
was on a run of pomo books. just finished the collector by john fowles and then the handmaid's tale by margaret atwood.

just finished also - the bride stripped bare (anonymous)
and incurable - the next book in the ellie chronicles by john marsden

nwatts

HSC
sospecha said:
i was planning to read that soon...is it good?
Yes. Eugenides is a fantastic writer. His 2002 Pulitzer prize winning Middlesex is also exceptional, and is a personal favourite book of mine.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Mr Lovepony said:
I was reading that but I had to stop half way because of King Lear. I don't exactly remember what the book is about anymore.
Haha, it's basically Seneca talking for 100 pages about how you should devote life to yourself and noone else, help noone etc, and you'll be able to do everything you want to do and at the end, realise what a fulfilling life you've led.

It gets very selfish at points, and I don't think really works in this day and age, but a very interesting view on life when he wrote it in any case.

edit: can't spell

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
Abraxus said:
i've just been skimming through the thread.. what stood out to me was everyone who're bashing on renowned masterpieces like narnia and da vinci code because of all the mainstream media attention.

i'm willing to bet that all the controversial attention is the reason u raised ur expectations so high when reading them.. hence why u weren't impressed so decided to make a speal about them here in what i think is a demand for attention. i'm not saying this out of defence for these books.. i lost my interest in narnia when i reached puberty and i dont think da vinci code is one of dan brown's best novels (although i still enjoyed it). jst think some of u are bein unreasonable with ur criticism.. so if ur gonna attempt to read a controversial masterpiece because of that reason alone.. prepare to be disappointed.

anyway.. to stay with the topic of the thread.. i'm currently reading Deception Point by Dan Brown.
ROFL. stop talking. People should lose interest in the da vinci code when they hit puberty too.

Pierotte

HSC
The Debt To Pleasures - John Lanchester

ok i read only a week ago but i have nothing else to read, so im reading it again and trying out some of the recipes this time round, seeing if theres any bits i missed.

Fab book BTW.

I read a couple more pages of Dude Where's My Country - One Michael Moore

But hot damn that book SUUUUUX!

Clarebare

HSC
I thought Seven Ancient Wonders was a little hard to believe, but it was good for a light read.

At the moment I'm reading the Twelve Caesars by Suetonius. Attempting to struggle through the Latin version, but I'm switching to the translation soon. Latin makes my brain sizzle.

Next on my list are all the books I'm meant to be reading for school: French Leiutenants Woman, Wuthering Heights, etc.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Dead Centre, about Bradley Murdoch and the disappearance of Peter Falconio.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Stuff for uni...
The Waves by Virginia Woolf
A book of poetry by Ezra Pound
The Wasteland by TS Eliot
Ulysses by James Joyce

Bah, I want to read something fun again!
I just finished re-reading The Perfect Match by Jodi Piccoult.

sospecha

in the middle of nowhere; a hole - seriously
HSC
was just starting to read chronicles of narnia...however just realised that there is only a week left of holidays and was supposed to finish both emma and antony & cleopatra before going back to school...so i guess i'll have to start them...argh!

Shaz708

HSC
N/A
Reading Lolita in Tehran
only a little way into it, but great so far (except that the author keeps annoying me by asserting that fiction is am ideology free zone....!)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
Brave New World (for school)
I quite liked that!

Paused The United States of Europe while I read Why Girls Can't Throw (... and Other Questions You Always Wanted Answered)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Just finished Vanity Fierce by god knows who, and Memoirs of a Geisha by Alexander Golden, currently reading the Bone Flute by N.A. Bourke, then its a toss up between Jane Austen and Dune. After those two it shall be a novel by Gene Wolfe, then I'll get back to a book by China Mieville that I was reading before I switched over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)