What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

fleepbasding said:
^fastest reader in thread.
Only because I read it at uni when I should be doing work.

That, and I'm really enjoying the series. I highly reccomend Stephen King's The Dark Tower. :)

Screwball116

HSC
LOL Who isn't reading Frankenstein at the mo I have to read for Extension English? I also had to read To Kill a Mockingbird for normal english. At the moment I'm reading Hade's Daughter by Sara Douglass and its the first book in the Troy Game trilogy. Sara Douglass is a really good author the Axis trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption are 2 really good trilogies. :)

fionah

HSC
Screwball116 said:
LOL Who isn't reading Frankenstein at the mo I have to read for Extension English?
Ah, I remember that book, I studied it as well. Naturally because of my proactive nature I decided to read it after we had studied it, but it really is quite worthwhile.

Currently i'm reading 'In cold Blood' By Capote as well as some of Samuel Beckett's short prose.

J

jhakka

Screwball116 said:
LOL Who isn't reading Frankenstein at the mo I have to read for Extension English? I also had to read To Kill a Mockingbird for normal english. At the moment I'm reading Hade's Daughter by Sara Douglass and its the first book in the Troy Game trilogy. Sara Douglass is a really good author the Axis trilogy and the Wayfarer Redemption are 2 really good trilogies. :)
Sara Douglass is awesome. Troy Game is my favourite of her serieses. :)

rific

HSC
fionah said:
Currently i'm reading 'In cold Blood' By Capote.
What do you think of it so far? I read it last year, I found it fascinating, particularly in terms of criminality and gender, even more so considering when it was written. Definitely, and obviously, one of the better attempts at true-crime writing.

I didn't even realise Capote was being used as basis for a movie until the other week, do you know if they used the I.C.B subtext as inspiration?

Virtuoso Soup

HSC
lets see, im reading brave new world-aldous huxley, needful things-stephen king, johnny the homicidal maniac series-johnen vasquez (some of the best comics youll ever read and im using them in heaps of my english essays) and how isaac newton lost his marbles-a few guys, really good book filled with stories about history.
all in all, the important books, such as BNW are pushed to the bottom of the pile. unlucky uai!

holdmyhat

HSC
ameh said:
For school: Patrick White - trying to find a book from his that ISNT boring
Non-School - English Patient (Michael Onda....something)
- The Penal Colony (Kafka)
- Nietschze - The Vicious Circle
- Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

zZzz...
Im so glad your reading catch 22. im currently trying to get my classmates to read it because its such a good book, with fantastic characters. It's probably at the top of my favourite book list along with to kill a mockingbird. I was a disapointed by closing time. Heller, in my opinion should never have written a sequel. Oh im currently reading darksong by isobelle carmody. its a slow but enjoyable book.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K.Rowling. (reading for research.)

jhakka said:
The final Obernewtyn book is supposed to come out this October (or thereabouts). But that's what she said about last October.
The final book??? How the hell can it be the final book??? there is no way she can finish that series with just one more book, unless it had like a million pages! theres so much more to happen! that so has to be wrong.
but i cant wait for it!!!!!!!

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
im reading a book called vanish by tess gerritsen.. nothing special.
call me a troll, but before the film comes out im going to re-read the da vinci code.

J

jhakka

Just finished Stephen King's The Waste Lands, but have not started on Wizard and Glass.

Russel Kirkpatrick's The Right Hand of God is released tomorrow or the day after, and I want to finish that series before I complete the Dark Tower.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
The Obernewton chronicles... a lot of you seem to be reading/have read them and I'm just a bit confused. I remember reading "Obernewton" back in junior highschool as an english text. It was about these people with "talents" (I'm having trouble remembering) and they are sent away to some institution... anyway, I remember liking it. Can someone give me just a bit more information? How many books? Does the story deviate greatly from the 1st one I read (if indeed that was the first)? And anything else of note. Thanks.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
So far there are four books; Obernewton, The Farseekers, Ashling, and The Keeping Place. They are about our world after a holocaust, sometime in the future. children who are orphans get sent to Council farms to work and (main character) Elspeth Gordy is one of them who is found to be a Misfit. Misfits are people with powers that normal people don't have, ie. telepathy, emplathy, telekinesis, and so on. She gets sent to the mysterious and notorious Obernewton, a place in the highlands where misfits are sent.
They are awesome books. about how are world was destroyed by "killing machines", and what happens after.

UzurOger

Almost Sexy Bastard
HSC
i am currently reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency which is an excellent douglus adams book. then im goning to read the 2nd one which is Dirk Gently's The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Isuggest everyone run to the book store and buy. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!

J

jhakka

PerfectByNature said:
The final book??? How the hell can it be the final book??? there is no way she can finish that series with just one more book, unless it had like a million pages! theres so much more to happen! that so has to be wrong.
but i cant wait for it!!!!!!!
It's definitely the last one. I read it somewhere, but can't find the site. :( Will let you know if I find it.

fleepbasding said:
The Obernewton chronicles... a lot of you seem to be reading/have read them and I'm just a bit confused. I remember reading "Obernewton" back in junior highschool as an english text. It was about these people with "talents" (I'm having trouble remembering) and they are sent away to some institution... anyway, I remember liking it. Can someone give me just a bit more information? How many books? Does the story deviate greatly from the 1st one I read (if indeed that was the first)? And anything else of note. Thanks.
The story totally changes in the second book, which is set a year or so after the Misfit (defectives, people with particular mental powers, etc) takeover of Obernewtyn. It's less Harry Potter, and more... something else. The story gets more mature as the books go on, and focusses on rebellion in the world, prophecies of the deathweapons, the figure of The Destroyer, and exploration of the various powerful factions in the Land.

J

jhakka

Started Wizard and Glass by Stephen King. If I get The Right Hand of God before I finish it, I'll probably do the unthinkable and stop half way through King to read it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)