What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

Ellie-Bee

HSC
I reading a book called 'Sister Freaks' about women/girls who have died or had their lives threatened because of their unmovable faith in Jesus Christ and Christianity. Its really interesting and pretty moving.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
Now rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. i do so love these books.

jhakka said:
It's definitely the last one. I read it somewhere, but can't find the site. :( Will let you know if I find it.

The story totally changes in the second book, which is set a year or so after the Misfit (defectives, people with particular mental powers, etc) takeover of Obernewtyn. It's less Harry Potter, and more... something else. The story gets more mature as the books go on, and focusses on rebellion in the world, prophecies of the deathweapons, the figure of The Destroyer, and exploration of the various powerful factions in the Land.
Gah, that is so retarded. i hardly think the story has even begun in The Keeping Place! Shes spoded to do heaps more! how can she fit it all in one book???

I Would never compare those books to Harry Potter, they are way way way too different. HP is more childrens book (yes, i realise they arent actually childrens books and are getting steadily more adult) and is about magic and school. Obernewtyn is about the future world after a holocaust and is avbout special talents and defeating "evil".
there are some minor similarities, but i dont think its enough to compare these books as a way to describe Obernewtyn.

J

jhakka

Harry Potter in the sense of being about "different" kids in their own institution.

I wasn't comparing them, I was just pointing out a slight similarity in circumstances.

walrusbear

HSC
erm this is my first :)

70 pages in and i like it so far

i think the 'rabbit' series is his most successful (two of them won pulitzers)
i think the 'bech' books are also well liked

what have you been reading benny? just uni stuff?

nwatts

HSC
Oh i took your advice walrus and bought "White Noise" from DeLillio - it's very good.

walrusbear

HSC
nice :)
how good is the dialogue?!

i'm looking forward to studying it next semester

sphinxtress

HSC
"The Shining" by Stephen King. I'm only up to about the 4th chapter because i only get to read it of a night time and it's creepy as hell. The killing hasn't even begun yet..king is the master of suspense! And i am also reading "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare for English. I love it because it's evil and people die and backstab each other...mwahahaha! :devil:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Just started 'Homage to Catalonia' by Orwell yesterday but already half way through, couldnt stop reading it last night. Its a fantastic book and in my opinion much better than his more popular well-known novels. Muchos recomiende!

walrusbear

HSC
absolution* said:
Just started 'Homage to Catalonia' by Orwell yesterday but already half way through, couldnt stop reading it last night. Its a fantastic book and in my opinion much better than his more popular well-known novels. Muchos recomiende!
it's a quality book ay
especially the barcelona scenes

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
walrusbear said:
what have you been reading benny? just uni stuff?
Mostly. I finally got around to reading A Wild Sheep Chase a little while back. I found it to be a bit inconsistent, amazing passages here and there, followed by some of the more tedious prose Murakami's written.

I just haven't had much time to sit down and read novels lately. I'm making slow progress on The Shipping News whenever I do have the time though. Oh oh.. I read Of the Farm by Updike a while back and wasn't too impressed. I'll have to give his 'Rabbit' series a go in the break.

walrusbear

HSC
oh, i was looking forward to a wild sheep chase. i still haven't read it or norwegian wood.

J

jhakka

sphinxtress said:
"The Shining" by Stephen King. I'm only up to about the 4th chapter because i only get to read it of a night time and it's creepy as hell. The killing hasn't even begun yet..king is the master of suspense! And i am also reading "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare for English. I love it because it's evil and people die and backstab each other...mwahahaha! :devil:
I really like that book. I didn't find it too scary. More sad than anything.

Way better than the god-awful film, though.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
just started prey by michael crichton
i dont mind dean koontz either. what did you think of velocity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)