What are you going to do next year? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
smushieex said:
So far, i'm considering these:
-English adv.
-2u Math.
-Biology
-Economics.
-Business Studies
-SOR 2u ?

---
questions. lol
-I'm not really too sure about biology.. Is it any good? Is it hard? just .... any info you can give about bio?
-I'm also thinking of replacing either economics or business studies with chemistry .. Would it be a good move? If so, which would be better to replace? Business studies or eco?

thankyou~! :)
That's pretty good subject line. I am currently undertaking Preliminary Biology and it is one of my favourite subject. My view here is highly subjective but I think you will like Biology if you like Science where you do not have to think much. The concepts in Biology are quite easy to grasp unlike Chemistry and Physics however the contents are vast. You will have to invest large amounts f time to cover all the topics.

If you look at my subject line, I am doing 2 Sciences and Business Studies. I personally regret doing Chemistry because I don't like it. I wished I didn't choose Chemistry over Economics. If you do Economics and Business Studies, there should be overlap and they are quite similar subjects. If you strength lies in Science area, I suggest you trying both Chemistry and Biology out. If not, you should stick with the Commerce subjects. Because I bet you won't like Chemistry if you aren't good at Science.

By the way, I chose Chemistry over Economics because Year 10 Science topics that I did were really interesting (related to Chemistry) even though I was better at Commerce. If I think back now, I regret because the contents we are doing Chemistry are pretty boring.

In conclusion, I suggest you have a look at Chemistry textbook to see if it suits you or not. Good luck.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
nerdsforever said:
haha. thats mad. maths scales higher than english, right? how much harder is maths ext 2 than ext 1? just a few more topics in ext 2, yeh?
Heres a bit of information for anyone thinking of doing 4 unit maths (even though you still have till the end of year 11 to deciede):

I do 4 unit maths, and I find that in a lot of the topics (not all of them) the first 50-70% is quite easy (as easy as some of the stuff you do in two unit and three unit). The rest initially seems quite hard but for people who put in the work (doing heaps of questions, past papers etc) it actually become quite straight forward. The hardest part about 4 unit is the harder 3 unit questions (ask any 4 unit student - harder 3 unit is a bitch!) because this is harder to prepare for as they can pretty much as a harder verison of anything in the three unit course.

For me, the major thing with 4 unit is the amount of work you have to put into it and time it takes up. 4 unit is a lot of work. Most schools only have 2 periods a week, so the course is taught very quickly and involves a lot of your own work. On top of homework, you should be doing extra questions, past papers, etc throughout the year (not only before the exams) to become confident in the techniques. A lot of the people at my school who started doing 4 unit dropped it, not because of the difficulty, but because of the workload.

That said, most people who do 4 unit don't regret it because of the scaling.

Anyway, none of you should really make up your minds about whether you want to do 4 unit until at least halfway through year 11. You should really deciede based on your 3 unit results, as well as your time management (if you cannot cope with the year 10 or 11 workload you definately wont be able to cope doing 4 unit in yr 12) and if you love maths. If you dont than DONT do 4 unit.

For more information go here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=75261

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
smushieex said:
questions. lol
-I'm not really too sure about biology.. Is it any good? Is it hard? just .... any info you can give about bio?
-I'm also thinking of replacing either economics or business studies with chemistry .. Would it be a good move? If so, which would be better to replace? Business studies or eco?
If you were to replace either economics or business studies I would say replace business studies (maybe thats because I do eco and im slightly biased). It depends on your skills - are you more analytical or are you good at book learning (pretty much memorising facts and regurgitating them). Economics is the more analytical of the two (but by the looks of it you seem pretty sciencey, so you should be okay with this). Business studies is easier as it is more about learning facts, however, people I know who do both business and economics say that economics is more interesting. Also it's more relatable to the real world (unless you are planning to open a business). Plus it scale considerably better.

I do both economics and chemistry and would choose economics any day over chemistry. To me chemistry is quite boring because it's nothing you can relate to the real world (like who cares how they filter water - all I care about is that it's clean when I drink it). But if you want to do science in uni, I would advice taking chemistry as it is assumed knowledge for many courses. Thats the reason I took, it because in year 10 I was thinking of doing science in uni, but now I want to do commerce law :p

As for biology, like lyounamu said, I'd say that it is the most interesting and definately the easiest science, and I find the HSC course is much better than the prelim (thank God because I hate ecosystems and you have to sit through a whole topic of them in year 11).

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I considered last year doing:
- English (Adv)
- Mathematics (Ext 1)
- Physics
- Business Studies
- English Ext
- Software Design and Development (wanna drop)
- 2u SOR

I have now dropped 2u SOR and Ext English

So a tip for the Year 10s this year... make careful decisions on what u choose

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
I considered last year doing:
- English (Adv)
- Mathematics (Ext 1)
- Physics
- Business Studies
- English Ext
- Software Design and Development (wanna drop)
- 2u SOR

I have now dropped 2u SOR and Ext English

So a tip for the Year 10s this year... make careful decisions on what u choose
But by no means also give Extension English to ditch. Give it a go if you really want to! I know I'm hating it right now but if I didn't try it I would've always been wondering. So choose on your instincts as well :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
midifile said:
Heres a bit of information for anyone thinking of doing 4 unit maths (even though you still have till the end of year 11 to deciede):

I do 4 unit maths, and I find that in a lot of the topics (not all of them) the first 50-70% is quite easy (as easy as some of the stuff you do in two unit and three unit). The rest initially seems quite hard but for people who put in the work (doing heaps of questions, past papers etc) it actually become quite straight forward. The hardest part about 4 unit is the harder 3 unit questions (ask any 4 unit student - harder 3 unit is a bitch!) because this is harder to prepare for as they can pretty much as a harder verison of anything in the three unit course.

For me, the major thing with 4 unit is the amount of work you have to put into it and time it takes up. 4 unit is a lot of work. Most schools only have 2 periods a week, so the course is taught very quickly and involves a lot of your own work. On top of homework, you should be doing extra questions, past papers, etc throughout the year (not only before the exams) to become confident in the techniques. A lot of the people at my school who started doing 4 unit dropped it, not because of the difficulty, but because of the workload.

That said, most people who do 4 unit don't regret it because of the scaling.

Anyway, none of you should really make up your minds about whether you want to do 4 unit until at least halfway through year 11. You should really deciede based on your 3 unit results, as well as your time management (if you cannot cope with the year 10 or 11 workload you definately wont be able to cope doing 4 unit in yr 12) and if you love maths. If you dont than DONT do 4 unit.

For more information go here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=75261
What do you think of the Mechanics component of Extension 2?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Forbidden. said:
What do you think of the Mechanics component of Extension 2?
its the only topic we havent done :p. Ive heard its a bitch though!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
SOME INFO
· What is a RAW, ALIGNED AND SCALED MARK?
Raw mark refers to the actual mark you got in your exam. This is NOT the mark that is written on your HSC result paper. For example HSC Mathematics is out of 120. Whatever you got out of 120 is called a RAW MARK. So if you got 42/120, 42 is your raw mark out of 120.
Aligned mark refers to the mark that was derived from your RAW mark. This will be different from RAW MARK. If you got 12/120 as a RAW MARK, you won’t necessarily get 10/100 as your aligned mark. You get this mark on the HSC result paper which is out of 100 (not out of 120 as in HSC exam).
SCALED MARK refers to the mark that was “SCALED” from your raw mark. 50/120 in Mathematics Extension 2 is harder to get than 50/120 in Mathematics. Therefore, the 50/120 in Mathematics Extension 2 will get you much higher SCALED MARK than 50/120 in Mathematics. WE use scaled mark when we calculate UAI. 1 UNIT counts as 50 scaled marks. Therefore, 10 Units = 500 marks. Total aggregate is the total scaled mark out of 500. And we use the total aggregate to determine your UAI. Last year, 485 scaled mark got someone 100 UAI.
· What is an assumed knowledge? What is a recommended study?
Some university courses ask students to satisfactorily complete some subjects. These subjects are called assumed knowledge. Chemistry, for example, is an assumed knowledge for the Bachelor of Dentistry degree. One should have done Chemistry to be admitted. However, this is not totally necessary. You can always take a bridging course if you didn’t do Chemistry. Not doing Chemistry won’t necessarily jeopardise one’s chance of getting into Dentistry.
Recommended study is a subject that the university course wants you to know about. For some actuarial degrees (if not all), English (Advanced) is a recommended study. You don’t have to do this course to get in. But it will help you to some degrees.
· Scaling?
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=60687
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=10442
If you don’t know. Go to the above page. It will tell you exactly what scaling is all about.
· Wiser to choose similar subjects?
There are not many subjects that are similar to the extent where you only have to study one to get good marks in both. All subjects are different to great extent. Only subjects that might be “similar” are the 2 Units subjects and the extension subject of it. Therefore, doing Economics will not necessarily help you with Business Studies and vice versa.
· Recommended amount of studying?
Depends on individuals, I have to say. Some people say 15 minutes per unit every day. But I disagree.I tend to follow the syllabus’ way of studying. If a certain module requires 30 hours of studying, that’s the extra amount I put in. In reality, it depends and you should focus on subjects that you are less adept in. But try your best. It will help you to decide whether to drop it or not at the end of Year 11.
· Cannot choose subject due to your school? Why not try TAFE OR Distance Ed?
If you cannot choose subjects because of your school (not enough people applying) and etc. Try TAFE OR Distance Ed. You can go to TAFE to do certain courses. Oh yeah, ask your school before you apply.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
holy crap thats a long post

the only thing i would say is that you seem to have overemphasised the influence of subjects.....just remember that lots of people don't know what they want to do when they get to uni, so post-grad courses are the way to go for many.....and there your uai is only 25%.....but yeah, the rest of it seems pretty good :)
Thanks for the advice. I shall take that into consideration when I make another add-ons.

I didn't mean to over-emphasise. I think I got carried a little. Lol

WannaBang?

HSC
neXt year, i wanna like bum around the House a little bit, maybe smoke some weed, and root HHEEAPPs of chikkkss!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
WannaBang? said:
neXt year, i wanna like bum around the House a little bit, maybe smoke some weed, and root HHEEAPPs of chikkkss!!
Please restrict from unnecessary spamming. All I need on this thread is either advices on my post or questions in regards to what I said.

I think you wrote on the wrong thread.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
so if you get bad ranks in your school, it brings your uai down?

man, that sucks. specially when you go to a partially selective private school.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
I know someone who got 480 :D

haha lol so u r wrong
Just curious as to how that makes him wrong?

before you start jumping to conclusions again and trying to lighten the atmosphere... im not picking on your or trolling

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
I know someone who got 480 :D

haha lol so u r wrong
Pay attention to the word "last year". If you got 480 last year, that was probably 99.95 UAI. ;)

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
Pay attention to the word "last year". If you got 480 last year, that was probably 99.95 UAI. ;)
u sure? i am pretty sure that person got 480 if not 481 last year and still got 100 uai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)