what books r the best to buy? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
im doing these subjects next year:

3 unit math
adv eng
physics
chem
bio

reccomend any books for them?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
For physics and chem, Creelman- HSC past questions sorted into modules.
Jacaranda is the best textbook out there, though even that has rubbish in it.

And for the trials, Success One so you can practise everything with past papers :D

3U math- Couchman or Coroneos

Hope this helps :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
there is no "best" book. And please use the search function. There are SO many threads on this matter!

aimhigh10

HSC
There is another thread for this, but I'm in a helpful mood so..
EX1 Maths
- Fitzpatrick 2u
- Cambridge 3u
these two can basically be used together to understand/learn the topics.
There are also other books which can be useful - Fitzpatrick 3u, Understanding Ext 1 Maths... and past papers are a must (when revising)

BIO
My school uses Biology in Focus, but the Surfing series are also pretty good as are the Spotlight series. If you are looking for a workbook, definitely get the Dot Point book as it covers the syllabus dot points, point by point.

CHEM
Conquering Chem 4th ed is the main textbook however, once again the Surfing series is also helpful. Dot Point would be the best workbook.

PHYS
It really depends what you are looking for in a textbook for physics, as some people say the Jacaranda book is not good, whereas some say it is the best. (see http://community.boredofstudies.org/18/physics/190109/best-physics-textbook.html) But Dot Point is also helpful as a workbook.

Dont know about english, because it depends on your school's texts, but there are many english study guides available...

Here's the other thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/128/general-discussion-preliminary-hsc/132499/recommended-texbooks-study-guides-preliminary-hsc.html
there is a lot more info there :)

and there are a couple more
http://community.boredofstudies.org/128/general-discussion-preliminary-hsc/195223/attention-year-11s-12s.html
http://community.boredofstudies.org/128/general-discussion-preliminary-hsc/194980/help-textbook-preliminary.html

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I would say Cambridge or Fitzpatrick for 3unit maths but I prefer Cambridge. Jacaranda for Physics and Chemistry Contexts for Chemistry but Conquering Chemistry is also good.

~caramello~

HSC
3u maths - Fitzpatrick for 2U, Cambridge and Coronoes for 3U.
Chemistry - Conquering chemistry / jacaranda / Contexts (2 of the 3 should be sufficient)
Physics - Jacaranda / dotpoints
Surfing books and KISS booklets are also really helpful.
And Success One or other exam papers is a must.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Maths
It depends on your school, if you have a crap school (like mine), then probably maths has not been taught rigorously and you would end up receiving the most basic HSC maths textbook available ie Maths in Focus by Margaret Grove. If you have a good school (top 100), then you would get something like fitzpatrick... which is excellent.

My suggestion (and it seams to be the general consensus), get fitzpatrick (which is really called "New Senior Mathematics") and Cambridge mathematics.

Just a note in the dificulty, Fitzpatrick is easier than Cambridge. Cambridge is probably the hardest text their is for the HSC. But if you stick at it and perservire then Cambridge will really help you in the HSC.

Also, coneros or whatever is a good text as it explains things well, the only con is that it has to be about 30 years old and the diagrams are crudley drawn at best.

Physics

Jacaranda has the best diagrams and a good introduction/standby text. For a slightly harder text then Contexts is good. And for just getting a greater and deeper knowledge and understanding i would recommend "Foundations of PHYSICS" if you can find it, or anything similar like "PHYSICS". They are fairly old text and were for when there was High school honors physics (probably comparable and similar to maths extension)... along time ago.

Chemistry

This is pretty much the same for physics. Contexts is good, but Conquering Chemistry is a good, clear, consise text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)