What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
yeah well you're a sucka if your insurance is > than 2800

my comprehensive insurance on my green P's is $530 a year and it's insured for 13k lol.
Seriously, how the fuck did you get it that cheap? I pay roughly $400 a year for 3rd party property+fire and theft.(Seriously, it was like a $5 difference between the two this year.)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
My GF only pays $500 because the insurer fucked up once.

She went for a full year under the thought she was comp insured as a 2nd driver ~$450, had papers too, went to renew and copped a $1400 increase.
Questioned the insurer about the increase, was told she was never covered. Her father got on the phone, she now only pays $500py.

:/

Looking @ $2074.35 Full comp on my Hyo.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously, how the fuck did you get it that cheap? I pay roughly $400 a year for 3rd party property+fire and theft.(Seriously, it was like a $5 difference between the two this year.)
Premiums for males 18-25 are higher than females 18-25

kfnmpah

HSC
no, there's something about insurance companies basing rates on statistics, though.

i drive a vintage mini panel van and my insurance is with shannon's.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
it'd be like 1.2k for me
kid lives in the ghetto
Would be about the same for me, except I live in one of the richer areas of town. But I can't be fucked, I paid $3000 for it and it's awesome. But I can't really justify $1.2k for a year for a car I paid $3K for.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
i just did a quote with nrma and for someone your age for a car worth $3k comprehensive 3rd party it is $700
that is without any discounts

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, my first car was a 1959 Series II Land Rover, which turned out to be not that practical to drive into town (no door locks, no indicators, no seat belts etc.) In every other regard, however, it was fantastic - the interior is metal so you can hose it down, it'll go anywhere and carry anything, it's simple, incredibly durable, and, most of all, it had character.

So, my second car was a 1999 Hyundai Excel, which was total rubbish - the interior was made of some sort of cellophane, the clutch was made of smoke and magic, the gearbox thought it would be fun to randomly refuse to engage reverse (at least I didn't have to double-declutch like on the Rover), the windows fell out if you wound them down and up again, the heater was colder than Antarctica, and the steering was attached to the front wheels by some sort of steering committee in Korea. Not only that, but it was slow and noisy, though not as bad as the Land Rover. 0-100km/h for the Land Rover took about seven years, not much less for the Excel.

But, since I moved to Sydney to go to uni, I don't drive any cars any more as the public transport and/or walking works fine.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
ok but you know that the excel pretty much carried hyundai globally, and is to date one of the best examples of a simple, reliable car

right?

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
ok but you know that the excel pretty much carried hyundai globally, and is to date one of the best examples of a simple, reliable car

right?

Simple? Yes. Reliable? No. Maybe when it was new, but this car was one of the worst I have seen. The headlights stopped working when you went along a corrugated road, the air-conditioner didn't work when it was too hot, and made the car even slower, the porridge box gearbox may or may not have been crunchy and sticky depending on the cycles of the moon, the boot filled up with water, the windscreen smearers did exactly that, the doors locked themselves if you closed them on a hill, it rusted, the interior fell to bits, water leaked into the stereo, etc. I don't give a crap if it made Hyundai rich, that doesn't make it good in the slightest.

Simple and reliable? See the first paragraph regarding the Land Rover. Built in 1959, started first time every time, didn't leak, and you could fix it with a hammer. Brilliant.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
look just because you bought a shitbox doesn't give you the right to tar the entire make
that car put hyundai on the map

Schneezle

HSC
Uni Grad
I can't make any sense of the second half of your post, so I'm going to respond to the first half.

The thing is, my experiences are not rare. Read about it in the "Dog and Lemon Guide", look it up in any online used car guide, and ask people that own them. Many, many, people were as unlucky as I was. The other thing is, using a Land Rover (not a car famous for it's reliability) as a benchmark, the Excel is unequivocally rubbish. They sold 200,000 X3 Excels in Australia, and a similar number of Series II Land Rovers. 50-odd years later, 70% of those Rovers are still running. I wonder, in 35 years' time, what that percentage will be for the Excel...

look just because you bought a shitbox doesn't give you the right...
I bought it and owned it, that gives me every right to talk about it. Have you, perchance, ever owned an Excel?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
look just because you bought a shitbox doesn't give you the right to tar the entire make
that car put hyundai on the map
that also doesnt mean that it isnt a horribad car though lol i can be both (and it is)
one of the worst cars ever made and also one of the most important

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)