what courses are ppl doing at uni? (1 Viewer)

rcandelori

chubbaraff said:
Sorry guys, when I said Visa, you thought i meant Visa as in immigration, I was implying the credit card, I have no problem with international students, they are really subsidising our education. What I do have a problem with is Australian Citizens paying for university and jumping the merit system. Its not an economic issue this one. Sure, they make unis more viable, but its the capitulation of the egalitarian society that a lot of people think australia is. You want to get the most prestigious law degree in australia, work your ass off and get 99.6, otherwise, come to school with the plebs...
Stop living in some deluded world of egalitarianism. That concept has long eroded from the Australian psyche - and there's a simple reason for that....it just doesn't work because we can't afford it. Welfare is fast approaching $90 billion per annum in the budget....no wonder the government is forcing people to get off there arses and get a job.

People who can afford to pay, should pay and leave the remaining resources to the needy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
People who can afford to pay, should pay and leave the remaining resources to the needy.
Isn't that what would happen in an egalitarian society roughly? A better wording would not use the words 'leave the remaining' but it's close enough.

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
I never denied that they didn't pay for my education. NTB, as a young liberal, meritocracy is good in appointing high court judges, but seemingly when it comes to university enterance, the real socio economic discriminator, those standards do not apply... Discuss

and to Mr candelori... Pratts who dont work and earn their spot at prestigious universities can go and get mediocre educations like the other 80% of australia

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
NTB, as a young liberal, meritocracy is good in appointing high court judges, but seemingly when it comes to university enterance, the real socio economic discriminator, those standards do not apply... Discuss
I'm not a young liberal.

Judges should be appointed by merit because they are applying for a job. Fee paying students still have the 'skills' to achieve in their course (or they will fail, remember also that there is only a 5 uai point gap). They are not pushing anyone out of the courses, merely subsiding the education of others by taking the burden of their payment off the government , which the government can then choose to redistribute on other students.

chubbaraff

Proudly BOS Left
HSC
to be continued... this debate is affecting my physics study... however.. this will be continued i have more points to make

rcandelori

Who said I didn't work?

I'll give you my final rankings from the BOS for internal assessment:

Ancient History = 2/26 (marks for each assessment in, 100% for term 4,04, 96% for half yearly, 93% for oral, 96% for resarch essay, 93% for trials)
English Advanced = 1/140 (100% for Module A, B and C termly assessments, 100% for half yearly, 96% for oral on journeys; 95% in trals)
English Extension 1 = 2/25 (100% for two termly assessments, 96% for half yearly, 92% for oral, 94% for trials)
English Extension 2 = 9/14 (95% for proposal, 80% for viva voce, 85% for report)
Economics = 2/42 (cant remember all my marks, but I got 84% in trials and half yearlies.)
Extension History = 1/14 (100% for major work proposal, 96% in half yearlies, 100% for trials, 100% for major work)
French = 1/3 (80-90% in all assessments from memory.)

So stick your "Pratts dont work" shit up your arse.

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
rcandelori said:
Who said I didn't work?

I'll give you my final rankings from the BOS for internal assessment:

Ancient History = 2/26 (marks for each assessment in, 100% for term 4,04, 96% for half yearly, 93% for oral, 96% for resarch essay, 93% for trials)
English Advanced = 1/140 (100% for Module A, B and C termly assessments, 100% for half yearly, 96% for oral on journeys; 95% in trals)
English Extension 1 = 2/25 (100% for two termly assessments, 96% for half yearly, 92% for oral, 94% for trials)
English Extension 2 = 9/14 (95% for proposal, 80% for viva voce, 85% for report)
Economics = 2/42 (cant remember all my marks, but I got 84% in trials and half yearlies.)
Extension History = 1/14 (100% for major work proposal, 96% in half yearlies, 100% for trials, 100% for major work)
French = 1/3 (80-90% in all assessments from memory.)

So stick your "Pratts dont work" shit up your arse.
Thats awesome. i hope you dont feel like you have to justify your placement to anyone tho. U know in yourself that you deserve it... im in awe

rcandelori

l-mercedes-l said:
Thats awesome. i hope you dont feel like you have to justify your placement to anyone tho. U know in yourself that you deserve it... im in awe
Wow...a voice of reason! I'm not some rich snob who thinks money will get you everywhere....

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The anger shown towards full fee students is merely jealousy. In the short term, yes, the full fee student does get an advantage in being allowed to go to a course 5 points (maximum) higher than what they had achieved. However, due to their paying fee's, the government has more money left over to fund university places for less well off people.

If you have richer students paying for their education and gaining advantage, which is then spread to less well off students.. I do not see the problem.

The only problem would occur if the government made savings from full fee places and then did not invest that back into universities.

rcandelori

Yes Rafy and I are fierce competitors in economics....since I convincingly defeated him in Ancient and English! muahahaha.

rcandelori

sikeveo said:
Where do you want to do combined law?
The University of Sydney.

Though I have heard UNSW has a very good course, but Sydney has the prestige I guess.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
chubbaraff said:
I never denied that they didn't pay for my education. NTB, as a young liberal, meritocracy is good in appointing high court judges, but seemingly when it comes to university enterance, the real socio economic discriminator, those standards do not apply... Discuss

and to Mr candelori... Pratts who dont work and earn their spot at prestigious universities can go and get mediocre educations like the other 80% of australia
Wait a second - are you lumping "pratts" who got 99.55 and, say, 75 together? Because if you are, that's kinda stupid.

There is some merit to the fee entry system. The cutoff is ridiculously high and there simply are not enough commonwealth supported places.

rcandelori

c_james said:
Wait a second - are you lumping "pratts" who got 99.55 and, say, 75 together? Because if you are, that's kinda stupid.

There is some merit to the fee entry system. The cutoff is ridiculously high and there simply are not enough commonwealth supported places.
Exactly what I said.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Fee paying is good, it makes you look better since the grades in universities are given out based on a bell curve. I'm assuming most fee payers are poor achievers when compared to their CSP counterparts.

steph_t

i'm going for ag economics at sydney.
and i don't s'pose theres a possibility of a private school student actually existing that doesn't pay their way into uni by the sound of this...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Fee paying is good, it makes you look better since the grades in universities are given out based on a bell curve. I'm assuming most fee payers are poor achievers when compared to their CSP counterparts.
Not at all. It is only a 5 point difference, and people whom make it into a course barely are more likely to try harder to achieve. Most lecturers will tell you that students that have transferred into courses, etc have been particulary hard working students with good results.

rcandelori

sikeveo said:
Not necessarily, sikieveo. And I wouldn't be too hasty to make such grand generalisations. Particularly for law at Sydney, UAI still counts. I think the full-fee paying student they let in with the lowest UAI last year received 97.8 or something. And that's a bloody good UAI, its just that the cut-offs make it near-impossible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)