• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
LaraB said:
for fucks sake you need to get a life... some of that shit is from sooooo long ago and is COMPLETELY out of context... you have completely misunderstood what half of that even meant to start with - although - you get that when you take 10 words out of a 100 word post and base a criticism on that alone...

you're pathetic
You wonder why people rev you up for your uws evangelism.

You reply badly and it reflects on you AND your university. People aim to get a rise out of you, in the hope that you will say something stupid thats reflects badly on you and your university. Most of the time Natstar and yourself give them exactly what they want. A reactive, passionately blind, poorly typed diatribe that’s makes you look pretty stupid.

If you are going to respond make if look like you took the time to consider a rational response rather than randomly type what comes from your hearty emotions. If you are going to be a lawyer you are going to learn to deal with peoples arguments rationally. This does not invovle a response laced with irrationality and profanity. How do you think that reflects on you and your university if someone from the general community were to read all your posts? You rebutted someones argument with these points.

1. You have no life.

2. That was sooo...like....long ago.

3. You just don't understand and therefore your criticism is not supported. You get this point accross by using sarcasm, the lowest form of wit. You then fail to explain why his criticism is wrong.

4. You then conclude the response with a parting insult by calling him pathetic. You can judge whether that is mature of not.

The only people on this forum who seem to be able to respond in a rational and calm way are NTB and melc. Good for them.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Erawamai people like myself and natstar tend to be protective of our university. I can't speak for natstar, but she doesn't do it to be unfair, but it is annoying when giving advice to someone interested in studying your university negative advice that is often blown out of proportion. I will agree on a forum it means those who disagree can be categorised unfairly and recieve 'punishment' beyond what they are doing.

Look at it this way. You are trying to sell a product in your store and you have a person willing to trying and sway someone away. You may say that your words are fair and they may indeed be so. However the effect is the same. Innuendo has a psychological effect on the reader that the caution adds to the negativity and in the end you have people going around spreading rumours even though you are not on the face of it, responsible.

I will be fair and say UWS is a young university. It's age gives it the advantages of modern methods of teaching and facilities which some of the sandstone universities are having a problem with matching. Obviously, in counternance, the standstone unis can claim their reputation is better. In the end it is the student that needs to make the best of it and follow THEIR desires, not what people tell them their desires should be.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Erawamai people like myself and natstar tend to be protective of our university. I can't speak for natstar, but she doesn't do it to be unfair, but it is annoying when giving advice to someone interested in studying your university negative advice that is often blown out of proportion. I will agree on a forum it means those who disagree can be categorised unfairly and recieve 'punishment' beyond what they are doing.

Look at it this way. You are trying to sell a product in your store and you have a person willing to trying and sway someone away. You may say that your words are fair and they may indeed be so. However the effect is the same. Innuendo has a psychological effect on the reader that the caution adds to the negativity and in the end you have people going around spreading rumours even though you are not on the face of it, responsible.
Well I think you are much better at arguing your uni's case. And yes we are all selling our unis in a way. And yes the uni is what you make of it. My point was that people rev up some uwsers in order to get them to damn their university by responding badly.

I will be fair and say UWS is a young university. It's age gives it the advantages of modern methods of teaching and facilities which some of the sandstone universities are having a problem with matching. Obviously, in counternance, the standstone unis can claim their reputation is better. In the end it is the student that needs to make the best of it and follow THEIR desires, not what people tell them their desires should be.
...and that is perfectly fair comment.

Jonathan A

HSC
To add to what I was saying...

I am told by some that I should do a Commerce/Law degree at USyd or should have stayed with the LEC, but I am happy with my choice. I have a degree which reflects social science and in an area I am interested in, Criminology whilst studying law from lecturers I KNOW are professional, insightful and very well respected in the profession and academic community. I am learning in a mordern environment with the new seminar-mode teaching system and with good resources and practical learning. That is what I like, and I would recommend it, and over the other universities, but in all objectivity I would not recommend it to people who don't desire the same result as I do with my degree unless they are interested.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
That is what I like, and I would recommend it, and over the other universities, but in all objectivity I would not recommend it to people who don't desire the same result as I do with my degree unless they are interested.
Give the man a gold medal. We can now close the thread!

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:
Well I think you are much better at arguing your uni's case. And yes we are all selling our unis in a way. And yes the uni is what you make of it. My point was that people rev up some uwsers in order to get them to damn their university by responding badly.

...and that is perfectly fair comment.

I am not against your comments, but being a good friend of both Natstar and Lara, I know they are not bad people, and I don't imply you are saying that, however I can understand why they have responded that way. It's not so much emotion, it's frustration. When people rev-up uwsers that tend to do it out of haste to see the comments they get and use it against them to make them seem like they are not cut-out to be professionals when they really are.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
I am not against your comments, but being a good friend of both Natstar and Lara, I know they are not bad people, and I don't imply you are saying that, however I can understand why they have responded that way. It's not so much emotion, it's frustration. When people rev-up uwsers that tend to do it out of haste to see the comments they get and use it against them to make them seem like they are not cut-out to be professionals when they really are.
Well I think it's up to them to be wise enough to respond sensibly, rather than take the bait, which I think some uwsers have learnt to do.

Conspirocy

HSC
Jonathan A said:
I honestly did not intend to 'rev-up' anyone with my posting. The way that some have responded just emphasises the point I was trying to make.

This thread started to talk about what employers think of a UWS degree. So to for some people to go and dismiss people giving advice about what people in the industry have said, whether it is passed on first hand or though secondary sources, is a bit rich. Further, they then decided to give their own secondary proof, and think it’s acceptable for people to acknowledge it.

My main point is this, which I think most people are trying to say. If you look at what you want to do, where you want to go, and you make a decision on how to do it - then you are done. I don't see the need to 'sell a product' in the way that people are trying to on this forum. If people came and said instead: "This is the website for this faculty, this is the website for the handbook, etc" then it would be a fair opinion.

I hope this clears some things up.

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
i love how you just said what i've been saying all along and are to be 'awarded a medal'...

its not emotion - geez don't flatter yourselves...

and no its not frustration - its simply providing the other side to students so they don't assume that the opposing views are true simply because they are the only views on here - but of course - any positive comments MUST be trumpet blowing and bullshit and simply atempts to "protect" the uni and couldn't possibly be true ,,,

L

LaraB

Conspirocy said:
My main point is this, which I think most people are trying to say. If you look at what you want to do, where you want to go, and you make a decision on how to do it - then you are done. I don't see the need to 'sell a product' in the way that people are trying to on this forum. If people came and said instead: "This is the website for this faculty, this is the website for the handbook, etc" then it would be a fair opinion.

I hope this clears some things up.
have a look at the other threads in the UWS forum - that kinda stuff fills the rest of the forums..

this kinda arguing only ever exists in threads with titles asking for a judgment call on UWS - ie "what do you employers think of uws"

people have posted useful information but it always leads to arguments because the instant anyone posts anything positive about their uni in any forum in BOS where other uni students feel a need to comment in, it gets shit bagged by the other students because of course if you don't agree that the uni's shit you MUST be lying....

and don't spit back that crap anyone, about how "you could just not comment" - SO COULD YOU! so stop bitching and whinging and saying its all the fault of the UWS students for wanting to "protect" the uni...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
This very question was brought up a lot today and the head of the law faculty ( I felt) answered it honestly and gave me a lot to think about. I really like the look of the course now and am no longer worried about this.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
'Conspirocy' (I do wonder if you realise this is incorrectly spelt), you are a fucktard.

Your post was just as much of a rambling mess as the one you were trying to show up.

Im sorry but someone coming out of their first year really doesn't not have the authority. All you have proven is that you are a smarmy little shit.

I don't care about UWS v whatever uni, though I don't mind reading the threads around here...people like you give us all great entertainment.

HSC
Ms 12 said:
'Conspirocy' (I do wonder if you realise this is incorrectly spelt), you are a fucktard.

Your post was just as much of a rambling mess as the one you were trying to show up.

Im sorry but someone coming out of their first year really doesn't not have the authority. All you have proven is that you are a smarmy little shit.

I don't care about UWS v whatever uni, though I don't mind reading the threads around here...people like you give us all great entertainment.
Yeah, give it another year kiddo, THEN you know everything! :)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I don't know if thats a stab at me, my point was I don't know why people here pretend to speak with authority when they haven't even applied for jobs yet.

The bullshit is pretty transparent.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
how is the B Business and Commerce degree at UWS? compared to other unis, its course structure etc.

Conspirocy

HSC
MiuMiu said:

QUOTE]

Well actually I do realise its spelt wrong. It is a username for a forum. I'm sure that if you put your mind to it, you could realise that it has my actual name in it. (Here is a hint: It's a Greek name)

But yeah I am just someone who has finished first year and 'hasn't even applied' for a job yet. Why apply when I have a job?

Again I never said anything against UWS, I just wanted to point out that some of the representaions made were false or missleading. Excuse me for having an opinion.

That seems to be a common theme on this thread. Anyone with an opinion that does not comply with a small minority that share certain views must be wrong.

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
MiuMiu said:
I don't know if thats a stab at me, my point was I don't know why people here pretend to speak with authority when they haven't even applied for jobs yet.

The bullshit is pretty transparent.
I totally agree. Ask Lara how long she has been at uni for.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah, not secretarial, or admin, or casual work. I am talking the jobs for which you are spending a lot of time and money working towards. If I were referring to the jobs you could get without a degree why would I be fucking pressing the point in the first place?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)