• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What Do I need to Do to get into Sydney Med. School? (1 Viewer)

Jokerers

HSC
N/A
Hey..

I wanted to be the cardiac surgeon about 3/4 of my life (don't ask me why...:haha:) and if I were to pick and get into any med. school in Australia, Sydney Uni would be my first choice.

So my question is that I heard that u need 99.95 UAI and above to get into Sydney med. school, is this true? (If it is, it is my bye-bye to my life long dream... :bomb:) Are there different ways of studying medicine in Sydney Uni beside getting almost 100 UAI??

Please people, give me an enlightment

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Nah you need to get 99.95. Sorry !

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Uhm.. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sydney Uni's med school a post-grad degree only?

Enigmanation

HSC
Yes it is technically post-grad, but they offer some sort of special program for very high achieving students, whereby you score 99.95+ and do some other shit they request and you manage to get accepted you are guaranteed a place in post-grad. I think they force you to do a Bsci in the mean time. All upon the stipulation that you attain something like a distinction average in the course the whole time.
Something quite insane like that.

Otherwise, just do an under-grad degree in something else you like. Keep your average way up there, and apply for post-grad medicine.

dp624

HSC
you can go postgrad. essentially any degree + gamsat

Jokerers

HSC
N/A
So i can chose any degree to complete and apply for med. as post. grad. right??, so technically ur UAI does not play a major role in applying for post. gard. medicine??

BTW

what's GAMSAT?? I thought u need UMAT?? (What is the difference??)

spence

HSC
So i can chose any degree to complete and apply for med. as post. grad. right??, so technically ur UAI does not play a major role in applying for post. gard. medicine??

BTW

what's GAMSAT?? I thought u need UMAT?? (What is the difference??)
You need GAMSAT for grad medicine, UMAT for undergrad

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
I went to the post-grad talk for Medicine. The requirements are: GAMSAT, Credit or above in a Bachelor Degree and Multiple Mini Interviews.

Jokerers

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply...

just one more thing, can i chose any bacholor degreee to complete and chose to do medicine as post-grad?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
they then look at your GPA. Don't ask me what it is but im guessing its something pretty daym competitive.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Thanks for the reply...

just one more thing, can i chose any bacholor degreee to complete and chose to do medicine as post-grad?
I'm pretty sure any Bachelor Degree is fine.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Thanks for the reply...

Any bachelor degree is fine as long as you fulfill the GPA requirements. Usually this is a credit average, at least.

So pick a degree you're interested in.

deadfishlol

HSC
N/A
Re: Pails of fail.

Sydney University's "credit average" is only for those freaky individuals who get sufficiently insane GAMSAT and uber-insane interview scores.
Wrong. USyd does require candidates to maintain a credit average undergrad marks (5.5 GPA to be precise), but it's merely a hurdle for interviews. Only your GAMSAT and interview is considered in admission.

The vast majority of people who get into Usyd grad med typically have GAMSAT scores in the 90th percentile or greater, and roughly 75th+ percentile to be even accepted to an interview.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)