What do u hate about the BOS? (1 Viewer)

SgtSlick

ahh meeee!, u like i, did 3 unit english didnt ya smartass? hehe

but yes i fully agree with ya, BOS need to be told postmodernism is most certainly post-current!

SgtSlick

damn, i have like 670 odd posts before im anywhere near the record of :spam:-god

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
actually i did 4u but i didn't do post-mod for 3u
it's true though, we're so post post-mod now
so the whole syllabus is just a vague piece of crap that the average student will never be able to achieve highly with and the so called "good" students are only achieving because they/we abandon creativity and originality to give the bos what they want to hear
ie. all readings are equally valid
there is no such thing as THE truth but A truth
bla bla bla

SgtSlick

it will get my posts up if we all rip the BOS for like 600 posts. And yes, to achieve at a high level in 3 u english, i had to abandon creativity and write "spoon-fed" answers that i know the markers will like...tho i must admit the 3 u course allowed for more creativity than the 2 unit course thats for sure.

:spam:

SgtSlick

i also dislike the fact that the BOS believes they should make us sit the HSC exam, we (NSW) are the only state who does so, the QLD system is much better, they are given a mark based 90% on their in school assessment marks . I feel scammed... no not :spam:'med....SCAMMED!

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
well i'm glad you've found a way to fill your days :)

on a serious not tho, the bos hasn't come up with the perfect system but there are elements of it that are pretty good. i hate to admit it and i'll probably detract this sentence when i get my marks.
as for creativity, well it's pretty hard to make on the basis of that and that's why they have courses like art, drama, 4u english and hist x
so yes, i'll blame them if i screw up the hsc but for now i have to give them some credit

im jess

its ok guys... when i become queen of the world... and it will happen soon... i will not only make maccas breakfast run all day long, but i will also make it so that anyone can do the uni course the want to in the world.... if thats what they really want to do in life, then they should be smart enough to work hard to get the degree... if they dont work hard enough, and they bludge alot, then obviously that couse is not the one for them

there will be none of this hsc crap.... no english modules.... just plain and simple.... you chose what you want... you do it.... you pass... you go on with life... you fail.... you pick a new course....

SPX

I hate:

*How we have to research the speeches in English to get context. Just give us an essay and tell us to analyse its meaning without researching the background. We had to copy out 60 pages from their website tooo!!
*How x-history is a mix of ancient and modern students!!!
*How they think 4UNIT MATHS AND ENGLISH SHOULD BE SCALED because they are harder..piss off!
*and how all the exams are bunched up together and not spread out to have us in peak form!

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The QLD system is really dodgey imo... :p

and 4u maths/english aren't scaled because they are harder. :) *points to things written in every other scaling post on this forum*

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
ahahah yea postmodernism was in like 20 years ago.... its too old....................

timmii

sporadic attendee
I know this has been said in the papers before (and perhaps on here somewhere...), but the bos and english syllabus does NOT know what it wants.

1 -Instead of teaching us to think for ourselves and apply ideas etc, they want us to learn to imitate styles like feature articles and speeches, as though we're expected to be worldclass reporters and speechwriters after our 13years. I think this can limit our ability to most effectively convey our knowledge.

2 - They want us to do too many things at once. Its not so bad for 3u, but for advanced they want us to write 3 "essays" in 2hours, each in different "forms", as well as bring in related material - which means less time to develop a coherent argument based on the texts ACTUALLY STUDIED! The shift to wide reading rather than close study means that instead of providing an indepth analysis you are regurgitating a few "incisive" comments on several texts u may have developed over the course of exams .

3 - their attempts to update themselves. Whoever mentioned the postmodern stuff - i agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes its ok, but sometimes it is just soooo frustrating having them parade multimedia and websites as texts as proof of their "relevance", while making them still so irrelevant to life... (i personally think the atsic website will leave teh advanced syllabus - only one school chose it last year, and it costs to much to develop questions and marking guidelines....ditto for "the essay" in 3u)

Hmmmm i think i should stop before BOS does something terrible to my english marks!

Jin-17

Pissed off with them on some of the test ie BSS which was the gayest of all the business test I did

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
They want us to do too many things at once. Its not so bad for 3u, but for advanced they want us to write 3 "essays" in 2hours, each in different "forms", as well as bring in related material - which means less time to develop a coherent argument based on the texts ACTUALLY STUDIED! The shift to wide reading rather than close study means that instead of providing an indepth analysis you are regurgitating a few "incisive" comments on several texts u may have developed over the course of exams .
oh yes

Paper 2 is a joke.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Sorry to have to do this, but you guys need to be careful of what you say - we've had two complaints from organisations who claim that they've been 'slandered' in this forum.

If you say anything that could harm the reputation of a person or business, it needs to be justified, and it needs to be clear that it is your own opinion and that you're not purporting it to be fact. Don't go over the top, either.

I apologise - I'm not usually one for silencing crying voices - but I'll not risk us being sued. Try to be reasonable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)