What do you think of the Biki? (1 Viewer)

Quintin

HSC
I think its a great idea (but it could do with a few extra editing options).

Anyway i thought i would contribute and see what you guys thought:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/wiki/index.php?title=Modern_History:Nat-RUSSR_A

"NB: this is a summary of the events, and does not pretend to be a full blown account of what happened (for that i suggest reading your text book). At best this provides a good quick source of reference to make sure that you know all the content required for the exam."

+ do you think it is reasonable that since the topic is about the bolshevik revolution that i can use abrevs like B? and since it was in petrograd and moscow i can use P and M (in context)?

Last edited:

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Re: What do you think of the BOS wiki?

I don't care for it, I hated the whole idea from day 1.

Riviet

HSC
N/A

It's now known as the Biki, I think it's a great educational resource for students of the future and can really benefit them in their studies.

Quintin

HSC

i wish i had it when i was doing the hsc...

why cant BOS make subcatagories... in case your post does not fit in with the heading

P

pLuvia

You make your own subtopic if you want. It allows any BoS user to add neutral information to any part of the system

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC

I'd like the wiki more if it had more content (though that's partly my fault for not putting any in like all the other guys :p). However, it's definitely a smart way to organise resources.

I_F

P

pLuvia

insert-username said:
I'd like the wiki more if it had more content (though that's partly my fault for not putting any in like all the other guys :p). However, it's definitely a smart way to organise resources.

I_F
lol, it only just started :p

Quintin

HSC

Without Wings said:
Quintin: it's great to see you enjoying the Biki and having a look around.
Please read the syntax help page http://www.boredofstudies.org/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Syntax which will tell you how to set out a biki page, as well as the wiki contribution FAQ[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Contributing_FAQ], which will give you a starting point. Also, have a browse around and see how some of the other pages have been formatted to help you.

Remember a wiki is a collaborative site where absolutely anyone can contribute and share information, therefore there is no need to put your name and comments down the bottom of a page. if you wish to cite your own work, you can do so in a set of links down the bottom, which link to a few good sources.

In regards to abbreviations, please do not use abbreviations such as "B". The Biki should be understandable for any educated reader. Also it is important to keep a Neutral Point of View - It should be factual, not hearsay. Keep in mind page size and copyright issues also.
in terms of putting names - where exactly is this thing to give credit? i am probably just blind, i admit that, but i just can not find it... I also am having trouble finding out how to make subpages, because my thing does not entirely fir under that heading you provided. i would rather it under the subheading that i made.

ummm links...? i got all my info from the tireless reading of books. Although i extensively searched the web i found very little (if anything) of use. This is because HSC history is not really about what happened, rather it is what historians think of it.

and to the best of my knowledge it is factual. I mean all it really is is a collection of facts in point form for easy study reference by an hsc student (i made it to be like syllabus dot points with content). Also to be unbiased would be difficult (to an extent) i mean approaching Stalin's massacres with a neutral point of view would be like doing an even handed evaluation of Hitler's extermination of the Jews. But i have tried my best to just focus on the events rather than provide commentry on them. I have left that for the historians (see quotes).

Also if i can suggest one thing? can you make the editing panel a little more user friendly with more options in it? It is unfairly time-consuming trying to richly (format) edit 7 or 8 pages. I wish you could upload a document to the page and it would keep the documents formatting. (can you do that if you saved the doc in HTML? and copy pasted it?)

Lastly i can see what you mean about making it understandable to the general reader. Would you prefer that i replace all the B's... or just to a glossary of terms and abrevs?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Asheroth said:
I love how it's styled to look exactly like Wikipedia.
Yeh, it uses the same 'MediaWiki' software that Wikipedia uses.

¬_¬

HSC

It's a great idea but I'm not exactly sure what to write... I would like to submit some stuff for IPT; but I never really wrote summaries to begin with! This reminds me a bit of the CSU website; http://hsc.csu.edu.au/

... so much for BoS being the only " only encylopædia in existence for the NSW Higher School Certificate"... but we can still make it the best and most popular one =]

lala2

Banned
HSC

I contributed to the scaling section, the English AOS stimulus booklet section, UAC section, and Music 2 Performance and Elective Topics sections. I'm more than happy to have them corrected or added to, but at least I can give myself a pat on the back for starting those sections off! :) I think I'll leave it to the rest of the good-willed BOS community to add.

Last edited:
HSC

Karen, there was nothing in that article about Lazarus, and what I added was genuinely funny and non insulting. Sure, delete it when someone makes an actual serious article on him, but for now what harm was it doing?

HSC

Spam would imply that the message had no quality, and this assertion is clearly wrong:
Lazarus, a superhyperglobameganetsupercomputer, was created in the year 2142 as part of a merger between bacon conglomerate cheesefish enterprises and a sheep named Fred. In the early hours of its inception the project proved to be a huge success, with all involved agreeing that Lazarus made the best coffee they had ever tasted. It all turned sour, however, when Project Lazarus turned sentient and turning on its Klingon masters, eliminating everything with an 10 parsec radius, and this has been noted by historians as being "really fucked up[sic]". Since then the once powerful Lazarus has turned into a blackhole, from which various transmissions, including the Nigerian pyramid scheme "Bored of Studies", have been intercepted. Nobody knows what the future holds for Lazarus, but one thing's for sure, it'll involve animal crackers and a bucket of sour cream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)