• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What do you think?? (1 Viewer)

Nadiaa

HSC
Hi i really need your help.
I am thinking of doing studies of religion I at tafe next year as another HSC subject. I am only doing it because i need something as a back up and because im already starting to panic about only having 10 units.

Is SORI a good back up? considering it is only one unit, can it even be used as a back up?

My subjects are listed below.
For instance, if i screw up in 2 unit maths and ace SORI. will they take both marks or only SORI?
im really confused :S

Can you guys please help me out.
Thanks in advance

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It can be used as a back-up, but it doesn't scale very well - so I'm not sure how good of a back up it is.

If you screw up in two unit maths, since you have 11 units - you'll get half your two unit maths mark counted in your ATAR. So really, to have a "true" back up - you need 12 units.

The ATAR is calculated from your BEST 10 units, so if you have 11 units, 9 good and 2 bad (maths 2u), then half your bad 2u maths mark is going to be used in your ATAR.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I would do a 2u course aleast,

SOR I is a decent back up, and it scales average, alot better then msot subjects (shadowdude, might want to check A3 again)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Scales down quite a bit, must've gotten it confused with the entry above - SDD.

Although don't take my word that it scales down quite a bit - especially after looking after the MX1 and MX2 scaling... =P

bob fossil

HSC
Back ups arnt worth it.

Why not risk it all? No one is going to care what your ATAR is 2 weeks after the exams.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah, but failing to achieve the desired ATAR will mean you have to take alternative entry ways to Uni, which personally, I find humourous. They are always happy and say "Don't worry, you can always get in!" And I sit there going, "Yes, wow, be a mature aged student. I'll be 17 when I finish the HSC and I have to wait EIGHT years before I can enter at age 25, but no matter, as long as I can get in in the first place, right?"

So I've made it a point to not put myself in that position.

bob fossil

HSC
Yeah, but failing to achieve the desired ATAR will mean you have to take alternative entry ways to Uni, which personally, I find humourous. They are always happy and say "Don't worry, you can always get in!" And I sit there going, "Yes, wow, be a mature aged student. I'll be 17 when I finish the HSC and I have to wait EIGHT years before I can enter at age 25, but no matter, as long as I can get in in the first place, right?"

So I've made it a point to not put myself in that position.

There are other ways into uni.
Physio is 92 but i can do health science for one year at 82 and then get into physio if i get good marks.

Its an extra year insted of eight.

bob fossil

HSC
Don't take SOR1 and use all that extra time to study for maths. If your talented enough to take the course to begin with you can work your way to getting 100%

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There are other ways into uni.
Physio is 92 but i can do health science for one year at 82 and then get into physio if i get good marks.

Its an extra year insted of eight.
Well, I guess I'm the efficiency-perfectionist person who doesn't want to waste any time at all - it's probably why that extra year doesn't amuse me.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Well, I guess I'm the efficiency-perfectionist person who doesn't want to waste any time at all - it's probably why that extra year doesn't amuse me.
If you're not a retard most of the time it doesn't waste a year, you take subjects that would be taken in your desired degree and transfer the credit over when you change degrees.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
True maycat, but the uni stuff confuzzles many of us - you have mth101 and asf495 whatever that stands for and you have textbooks with no pictures... but still, I'm sure you get used to it after a while.

bob, yeah, 10 would be most efficient but I'm not the risk taking type...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
True maycat, but the uni stuff confuzzles many of us - you have mth101 and asf495 whatever that stands for and you have textbooks with no pictures... but still, I'm sure you get used to it after a while.

bob, yeah, 10 would be most efficient but I'm not the risk taking type...
lol, its not hard to get used to. I am just trying to stress that if you go into a degree and plan to transfer into your desired degree after a year that one year is not wasted.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uni subjects are confusing... so what I hear is that a 'Degree' is a combination of the completion of many different subjects. If one takes a subject that is in another degree, and do well in it, they can switch to that degree.

Right? Makes sense, I suppose.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't be all stressy about a back-up. I originally would have only had 10 if I hadn't accelerated and applied into Philosophy and also being compulsory to take SORI at my school.

With that said, SORI is a very simple course and you should find it somewhat interesting if that's your kinda thing.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Uni subjects are confusing... so what I hear is that a 'Degree' is a combination of the completion of many different subjects. If one takes a subject that is in another degree, and do well in it, they can switch to that degree.

Right? Makes sense, I suppose.
Yes, the subjects are available and anyone can take them regardless of their degree so long as they meet the pre-requisites. I study ancient history but if i wanted to i could probably take some first year accounting subjects, often you will find that subjects are full of people from all sorts of degrees.

So for example if you wanted to do a B/psych but didn't get the required ATAR you could start in a B/Arts and take the subjects that you would be taking in the B/psych anyway (so long as you met the pre-requisites). This way you are pretty much doing the B/psych just under a B/Arts.

So at the end of the year provided you have done well enough, you can transfer from the B/Arts into the B/Psych and at the same time transfer the credit you gained from doing the subjects in the B/Arts over into the B/psych. Do you see how this way you are not actually wasting any time? If someone knows more about the process please correct me, this is the general jist of what i have gathered on it.

Last edited:

Nadiaa

HSC
after thinking i thought, instead of taking up an extra subject i think i might jst focus on maths more.

thanks ALOT for your advice everyone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)