what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Quite a few UWS students get into MQ and UTS law with a decent GPA, but of course you wouldn't know that because you're still doing your HSC. Keep in mind just because you did UWS doesn't mean your ATAR was 90, a lot of people in UWS law get between 95 and 90, thus they don't quite make the MQ or UTS cut off but manage to later with a good GPA. Its also no more difficult than doing something like Arts at USYD/UNSW/UTS and then trying to transfer into the law program.
Hahaha, says the ex-uws lawstudent ;)

You can't get into UTS law with a 90 ATAR regardless of what your GPA is. Also, there are more people who get below 90 UAI/ATAR than there are that get 91+ that do UWS law.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
yes i'm sure it is large, but it is nowhere near as large as UWS and Harvard so using those two universities is not a great idea.

and in saying that, those 'top universities' are
a) a matter of a panel of peoples opinion (which is valid, i'm sure but nonetheless very hard to be subjective)
b) as you get closer and closer to the top, its total wankfest as to who actually deserves number 1 or 2 or 3 etc. because i think they'd just be splitting hairs getting so close. its not like uni number 100 has toilets and university number 300 does not have toilets on campus. do some research into the top universities before assuming its a cut and dry ranking system. its like the top 100 in the state for uai, does number 100 a complete dumbass and number 1 a genius? not realy
c) its very hard to quantitatively measure how great a university is unless you strictly measure employment prospects, pay, etc. (Which isn't necessarily the best way to measure a university's quality) and even in saying that, its upto an individual to get a job or employed.
the only reason harvard, oxford, cambridge etc. get jobs so readily is because employers invite the graduates out to dinners! they offer them jobs, they dont make them work over summer for peanuts and _may_ offer them a position.

and also, by making a uni batshit insane hard to get into (lets set the issue of quality aside) chances are they will study their ass off to remain there and go well. its kinda like if you oppress someone they will either cave in our boune back and go better than they normally would.
the above explains why 1st and 2nd generation immigration people tend to own about 4 houses but drive a 1982 ford cortina
I compared UWS to UNSW and UNSW to Harvard.

Do you mean "very hard to be objective"? No ranking is set to be perfectly objective but hard facts cannot be denied. Starting salary, employment rates etc are much higher for top universities.

Why would employers take graduates from top unis to dinners? Why not UWS? Are the employers deluded? Obviously not. Recruiting is a game of probability of getting the right person or a lemon. In better unis, the probability of getting a top talent is simply much higher. This may be because of able students being attracted to the unis, the uni itself with its education prowess, produce able people etc.

That's the point of top unis right? To teach top students and deliver them into society as top talents. The society doesn't care how they did it. They just want their positions filled with able men and women. You're saying the graduates are better because they study harder than they normally would. Thats a good thing, for everyone.

P.S I'm only saying people shouldnt just wave off the university, what they call "prestige" factor. It's obviously a very important thing for universities and students.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hahaha, says the ex-uws lawstudent ;)

You can't get into UTS law with a 90 ATAR regardless of what your GPA is. Also, there are more people who get below 90 UAI/ATAR than there are that get 91+ that do UWS law.
Also, I don't go there anymore, what motive would I have in talking about UWS other than to make sure that people get to see both sides?

Considering that the uni's don't generally publicise how they pick their transfer students (other than saying its a combination of UAI and GPA) are you saying you have exact details? How do you know this for a fact? Particularly as uni's frequently let people in with lower than the usual cut-off do you think they don't do it for transfer students. And while there many very well be a lot of people in UWS with ATARs less than 90, how would you know the proportions, have you done a survey?

I'll have you know many people get into USYD/UNSW law with lower than the cut off as they transfer from another degree within the university.

Why don't you get back to studying because heaven forbit you might end up at UWS

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Also, I don't go there anymore, what motive would I have in talking about UWS other than to make sure that people get to see both sides?

Considering that the uni's don't generally publicise how they pick their transfer students (other than saying its a combination of UAI and GPA) are you saying you have exact details? How do you know this for a fact? Particularly as uni's frequently let people in with lower than the usual cut-off do you think they don't do it for transfer students. And while there many very well be a lot of people in UWS with ATARs less than 90, how would you know the proportions, have you done a survey?

I'll have you know many people get into USYD/UNSW law with lower than the cut off as they transfer from another degree within the university.

Why don't you get back to studying because heaven forbit you might end up at UWS
Heaven forbid? Surely you're not implying that UWS is a university for the lesser individuals in society? Hypocrite.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Heaven forbid? Surely you're not implying that UWS is a university for the lesser individuals in society? Hypocrite.
Its called sarcasm, if you can't fight with the big boys don't. Lol, did you honestly not get that I was being ironic. I was suggesting that if you stick around here you may end up at the very place you hate. Lol

stormstealer27

Tashii the mentalrunaway
HSC
My bf thinks that UWS is stupid n calls it Uni Of Wasted Space

I on the other hand have nothing against the place

The only reason it's seen so down on is cos it's a new Uni

Its way more practical than other Unis and Lecture and Tutorial classes are smaller isn't that better??

I think UWS is alright =)

In the end what Uni you went to won't base where you work =]

X

xeuyrawp

nah..
boston,
What's in Boston? I assume you're referring to Harvard and MIT, which are in Cambridge (like I said).

san fransico, london, new york,
Which best universities in the world are there? LSE is really the only one I can think of. And again, most students stay on-campus. I hope you're not referring to SUNY, CUNY, UCSF, etc. I mean they're probably ranked highly in certain areas... But so is Macquarie? :S

Clearly you didn't read the part where I mentioned that.

philidelphia
UPenn is definitely a great uni, and, like Chicago (which I mentioned) is one of the unis which defies the rule.

However, if you actually read my post, you would see that, like Chicago (which I mentioned) most students stay on campus or at least around the uni. In contrast to here, where unis are only seen as decent if they're attached to a major city. Which was my whole point.... Congrats on missing the point though. :wave:

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
Typical. Ignore these Go8 pigs, they are smug and arrogant because they havve spent to much time sitting in teir fancy little Universities talking with their fancy proffesors about their fancy research. The real potential is at UWS laying the bricks with the hands on short course.

runnable

HSC
What's in Boston? I assume you're referring to Harvard and MIT, which are in Cambridge (like I said).
Dude... Harvard (Cambridge, MA) is 10 minutes drive to downtown Boston. Which is even closer than UNSW to Sydney CBD.

In London you are also missing Imperial College, UCL, London Business School etc.

It not wise to generalise university locations like that. You have a lot of universities in cities and a lot that are not.

HSC
N/A
err retard thats like saying melbourne uni isnt in melbourne..their right next to each other..also Boston Uni and Boston college are very good uni's

Which best universities in the world are there? LSE is really the only one I can think of. And again, most students stay on-campus. I hope you're not referring to SUNY, CUNY, UCSF, etc. I mean they're probably ranked highly in certain areas... But so is Macquarie? :S
University College-Lodon, LSE, Imperial college, etc in London
NYU in new york
UCLA in LA

fuck theirs heaps man i dont know why i'm responding to ur confused babble.

X

xeuyrawp

Dude... Harvard (Cambridge, MA) is 10 minutes drive to downtown Boston. Which is even closer than UNSW to Sydney CBD.

In London you are also missing Imperial College, UCL, London Business School etc.

It not wise to generalise university locations like that. You have a lot of universities in cities and a lot that are not.
Great! Let's play 'Let's name all the universities in the world and see where they are.' :rolleyes:

My point, which is really not a generalisation, is that at the best unis in the world, students stay on-campus and that being uni students is the defining part of their identity. There's really none of this go to uni, go to class, go home business that is what makes Australian universities far weaker than universities where people hang around.

It was in response to the ANU being called 'in the middle of nowhere' - ie it doesn't really matter where your uni is, because you're essentially in your own galaxy of people.

As much as I would love to go down the list of all the unis in the world, it's completely irrelevant to the whole issue of ANU being in Canberra, sorry.

runnable

HSC
You started the game. Don't bring it up if you can't stand contention.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Its called sarcasm, if you can't fight with the big boys don't. Lol, did you honestly not get that I was being ironic. I was suggesting that if you stick around here you may end up at the very place you hate. Lol
My bad, you being a laywer, i didn't really realise you had a sense of humour.

hscsuccess.

HSC
I think the main issue is how much you and society values prestige! If you value prestige then obviously UWS is not for you. If society values prestige then it will most likely have a 'domino effect' which attracts higher cohort of students and staff. If society values prestige then employers will have greater preference for more prestigious unis (although each employer is different) [THis seems to be the case when looking at starting salary and employment rates]. Personally, I'd prefer ACU, UNDA and even TAFE over UWS. TAFE rocks!!!Booya!! If you are going to go to a non Go8 uni might as well have a community 'feel' to the uni. Plus ACU and UNDA are much more aesthetically pleasing!!! BOOYA!!!

Last edited:

Zantico

HSC
+1 for the dropkicks that intend to do law at UWS from my year who couldnt even make it past senior science... im glad if i mess up one day we'll have our brightest minds working to keep me out of prison

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
My bad, you being a laywer, i didn't really realise you had a sense of humour.
An example of why stereotypes are bad. Attacking my chosen career path is irrelevant to the argument. Let's keep it relevant.

Re: drop kicks doing law, remember it's one thing to get into a law program, it's another to stay there, don't worry, those who manage to graduate are generally competent

HSC
+1 for the dropkicks that intend to do law at UWS from my year who couldnt even make it past senior science... im glad if i mess up one day we'll have our brightest minds working to keep me out of prison
i dislike UWS with a passion but i wouldnt call anyone doing law a dropkick.

sh12

HSC
i dont think wat uni u go to matters.
my careers adviser told me that wen people employ u there not going to look at which uni u went to but how well u did in the course. if they have a choice between someone who went to sydney uni and just passed with someone who went to uws and got distinctons there going to choose the person who got the distinctions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)