what is so bad about UWS? (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
we DON'T care misz...

go to uws if you want. it's not our problem. it is to the individual's decision to choose what they want after high school. if you choose to attend uws to spite people on this forum, then good for you. if you attend it for your own reasons, good on you.

5233andy

HSC
This thread is ridicalous. The amount of people that are saying uws is shit.. Your shit !! I went to the open day this yr and I loved it !! On the other hand I went to usyd open day and it was ridicalous!! I think usyd is too dependent on it's rep because that open was not impressive at all. Uws Is my third and second pref and I wouldn't mind going to it.. For all you 'idiots' that think it's a shit UNii ahha I laugh at your faces..
Yep, when you're stuck with something, you have no other choice but to love it, even if at heart, you despise it.

runnable

HSC
This thread is ridicalous. The amount of people that are saying uws is shit.. Your shit !! I went to the open day this yr and I loved it !! On the other hand I went to usyd open day and it was ridicalous!! I think usyd is too dependent on it's rep because that open was not impressive at all. Uws Is my third and second pref and I wouldn't mind going to it.. For all you 'idiots' that think it's a shit UNii ahha I laugh at your faces..
So you judge an uni on its open day... Nice. :monkey:

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
You're entitled to your opinions. But just fucking learn to spell.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
So you judge an uni on its open day... Nice. :monkey:
To be fair, a lot of people on this forum are judging UWS on what their friends-cousins-dad who has never been to UWS or worked with a UWS student has said.

Best of luck to those doing their HSC/applying to uni, I hope you get what you want out of it and it meets your expectations.

Anderson101

Banned
HSC
N/A
thread is fail.

I know 2 friends ho transfered from UWS eng to UTS and UNSW. both have said that UWS eng is much better....teachers arnt cocky dicks....teachers actually teach you rather than "do a job" and the culture is better.

but hey, its probably down to the individual

Venom.

HSC
melsc how'd you find UWS Law? It's what I'm going for, this thread is full of pretentious fucks.

mb87

HSC
N/A
Time and time again, the number of people who post are either ill-informed about UWS or come up with obsured generalisations made by those who like to bag out certain institutions for the simple pleasures of getting a hard on.

Personally, I'm studying at UWS not because I went shit or didn't get a high UAI and therefore had no choice. I transferred from MQ because it was the only undergraduate course in my field besides UOW. Weighing between the two universities was the commuting factor. And also wasn't prepared on doing a course which I had no intention on pursuing as a career.

To those who expect to gather info on UWS based on the majority of these posts. Word of advice - pretty fucken simple do your OWN research for what you want out of your university and the type of career you'd like to get into. If it's a certain university, major or atmosphere then speak to academics, people in the industry or students in the field you want to study in. (if they're willing to)

Misz

HSC
melsc how'd you find UWS Law? It's what I'm going for, this thread is full of pretentious fucks.
Venom I'm aiming for law at uws too and agreed this thread has a lot of pretentious fuckers who sterotype like crazy!!!:jump:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The BAD - UWS LAW
1. People's attitudes (UWS students work equally hard so putting them down is unfair)
2. Travel (The multiple campus thing can be annoying when a unit/major/degree is at another campus)
3. Apathetic students (some make learning difficult or it seems like you are the only one doing the work)
4. Lack of funds/funding (this is improving and seems to be better than other places like MQ)
5. PARKING!

The Good
1. Good number of elective choices - (I wish we had some of them)
2. Practical focus in both assessment and course content (your assessments will be moots, essays, law reform reports, hypotheticals, oral presentations etc AND the focus is much more on applying law than philosophy)
3. Easier to get in, not necessarily easier to STAY in though
4. Down to earth students
5. Some great lecturers, most of whom have practiced in law not just taught
6. Kirby is now an associate prof there (this will probably mean more when you study there)
7. The law school tries really, really hard to improve their image, not rely on prestige because they just can, they are putting more money in, working students hard and taking a fresh approach.

Sorry this was quick and not very articulate, was in a hurry and always forget everything as I have been asked so many times. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on something further

mw12310

HSC
uws is good for quite a few things and I think alot of people are being a bit judgmental here, the courses are probably not any less difficult than other uni's - not in my experience anyway.

I went to uws for one year and i found that SOME of the candidature seemed less motivated or interested and that some of the facilities were not as good as the other unis. Also I was doing arts there and the choice of subjects seemed limited and less appealing compared to the uni i go to now. The location was crap for me too, massive lack of public transport at bankstown.
There were some really good lecturers and tutors there though and I think the uni is improving its reputation as time goes by (UAI's are increasing, more courses, new medical faculty etc)... I have a friend who does law there and loves it - btw, the food at bankstown campus was not too badly priced and library was small but fairly modern :)

Gridsta

HSC
I do Arts / Law at UWS and I honestly love it.

I think at any uni you go to you're going to encounter assholes who know everything, which is the same for UWS, but you'll find that most people are really down to earth and aren't fake or anything.

the uws law program is pretty damn thorough and we have respectable professors ie barristers, authors, like the above poster said, we have Kirby CJ as an associate professor which is totally awesome!

Anyway, a lot of people thinks its crap because we're a relatively new institution, unlike USYD which has been around forever and has managed to rack up some prestige.

Were on that track though. Our law mooting team, (i think last years kids?) won the competition. They beat out every other Law school institution in NSW (or the entire Australia). UWS law also has a former graduate in Harvard doing her masters.

So all UWS needs is time.

I suggest you give UWS a go, and if you think its shithouse, just transfer the hell outta there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)