What is so good about being a virgin? (1 Viewer)

CoryM-P

HSC
The reason people do not have sex before marriage is because sex is not just a hump and a cum, it's a huge emotional journey. We need to be careful who we share this experience as sex causes alot of pain in a person and in relationships (especialy breakups). Some of you may think 'I don't get emotionally attached when i shag people.' Well you may think that but all you have done is bury your emotions deep within you covering the wounds with 'coolness' thinking to yourself 'wow I had sex with someone, that must mean I'm cool.' Also sex is better when your married and if you wait completely until marriage then it's more like 'HOLY SHIT THIS IS REALLY AMAZING, TWO PEOPLE BECOMING ONE, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE WASTE THIS EXPERIENCE.' Would you trade the moments of pour ecstacy for a bit of a shag. Guys seem to be seen as uncool especially if they don't do it because doing it with alot of 'bitchs' is supposed to be manly. Wow, your penis must be huge because you are so manly and followed what it said. It takes more manhood to control ourselves and our actions than submit to what our dicks are telling us. As for girls, each woman is a beutiful thing; you cna be grose and graceful at the same time, each one of you is beiutiful so you should not be giving yourselves away so easily. It is far more graceful and down right beutiful to be controled rather than being wild. Now I'm not saying that every person who doesn't save themselves for marriage is a bad person or that they are scum or something. I'm just saying that sex is a good thing, infact it's a great thing but I'm just saying we need to be careful who we share this experience with and there is no beter person to save this experience for than the person you are going to spend the rest of your life with.
If before you read this you didn't believe in abstinace before marriage then you will probably not be budged and you'll think of some lame ass excuse to fight back with. Basically you will shut your eyes, bury your head in the dirt stamping you feet like a child. For those I have persuaded to stop having sex before marriage (or not begin) then welcome to a better life.

P.S. You may think 'Well, Cory I liked your arguament but I've already had sex before marriage so it's too late for me.' Well I say it's not too late for you, it's like cigarettes-it's never too late to quit.

I look forward to your reply.

Evilo

HSC
CoryM-P said:
The reason people do not have sex before marriage is because sex is not just a hump and a cum, it's a huge emotional journey. We need to be careful who we share this experience as sex causes alot of pain in a person and in relationships (especialy breakups). Some of you may think 'I don't get emotionally attached when i shag people.' Well you may think that but all you have done is bury your emotions deep within you covering the wounds with 'coolness' thinking to yourself 'wow I had sex with someone, that must mean I'm cool.' Also sex is better when your married and if you wait completely until marriage then it's more like 'HOLY SHIT THIS IS REALLY AMAZING, TWO PEOPLE BECOMING ONE, I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE WASTE THIS EXPERIENCE.' Would you trade the moments of pour ecstacy for a bit of a shag. Guys seem to be seen as uncool especially if they don't do it because doing it with alot of 'bitchs' is supposed to be manly. Wow, your penis must be huge because you are so manly and followed what it said. It takes more manhood to control ourselves and our actions than submit to what our dicks are telling us. As for girls, each woman is a beutiful thing; you cna be grose and graceful at the same time, each one of you is beiutiful so you should not be giving yourselves away so easily. It is far more graceful and down right beutiful to be controled rather than being wild. Now I'm not saying that every person who doesn't save themselves for marriage is a bad person or that they are scum or something. I'm just saying that sex is a good thing, infact it's a great thing but I'm just saying we need to be careful who we share this experience with and there is no beter person to save this experience for than the person you are going to spend the rest of your life with.
If before you read this you didn't believe in abstinace before marriage then you will probably not be budged and you'll think of some lame ass excuse to fight back with. Basically you will shut your eyes, bury your head in the dirt stamping you feet like a child. For those I have persuaded to stop having sex before marriage (or not begin) then welcome to a better life.

P.S. You may think 'Well, Cory I liked your arguament but I've already had sex before marriage so it's too late for me.' Well I say it's not too late for you, it's like cigarettes-it's never too late to quit.

I look forward to your reply.
god, this is probably the most retarded post ive ever read.

Dude, seriously, your rant was a piece of shit - you could have summarised it with this quote

ur_inner_child (page 17) said:
<snip>
for example

"i will be giving something special to the person I marry, who would be the person I love and will want to spend the rest of my life with" <snip>

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lord give me chastity.
Just not yet

HSC
Evilo said:

Dude, seriously, your rant was a piece of shit - you could have summarised it with this quote
YOU HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS! Sex is sharing between two people. Sharing with someone with emotional problems is not healthy. if you want to do this way. Then fuck all girls on whole planet. You will see how your life goes. Doing sex, drugs and drinking during teenager is not right. This sounded so stupid because most teenagers are so 'cool' about being an adult. WTF you are not being an adult because you are still IMMATURE.

End of story.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
YOU HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS! Sex is sharing between two people. Sharing with someone with emotional problems is not healthy. if you want to do this way. Then fuck all girls on whole planet. You will see how your life goes. Doing sex, drugs and drinking during teenager is not right. This sounded so stupid because most teenagers are so 'cool' about being an adult. WTF you are not being an adult because you are still IMMATURE.

End of story.
what the flying fuck are you on about, learn english and come back when you're capable of conducting an adult relationship without all this moral panic bullshit.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
what the flying fuck are you on about, learn english and come back when you're capable of conducting an adult relationship without all this moral panic bullshit.
Mmm I think this guy is a troll. A clever one.

dumarab

HSC
i don't see the big deal of ppl being proud of being vergins or not-vergins

but was i get scared about are people that are proud of being sluts

evry1getscrewed

HSC
Evilo said:

if everything he said could be summarised into your little quote than why didn't you say it first?

its because you would rather criticise than contribute in a constructive manner.

don't bag people for giving detail. we're all here to share ideas. if they take a bit of explanation, so be it.

no one cares if you could say it better/shorter.

cheap

HSC
Religious/ethical reasons are reinforced by my personal choice, so even if I didn't subscribe to any spiritual teachings I probably would've chosen abstinence anyway because prudence, self-control is a personal value I uphold.

One of my biggest fears is teenage pregnancy. Also not a fan of STDs, y'know. Doesn't mean I'm never going to have sex, just not at flippin fifteen.

"im a virgin, but its only because i cant get any"

I wouldn't be ashamed to say that, I would be ashamed to be the chick who can't keep her legs closed. This isn't to say I'm discriminating against people who enjoy sex, we just have different standards. Each to their own.

"What's so virtuous about it?" is quite a defensive statement. We don't deny being human, no one's saying it gives us more "holier than thou" brownie points that will put non virgins to shame. Virtue is determined by the influence each choice has on character. To me the undesirable consequences of promiscuity outweigh that of virginity.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
After 31 pages surely we have come to the conclusion of

"nothing unless you convince yourself there is"

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
After 31 pages surely we have come to the conclusion of

"nothing unless you convince yourself there is"
I suggest this:
Each person can attribute whatever value they so desire to their virginity - and should feel free to behave in accordance with their values, all the while respecting everyone else - there is good karma there.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Look that's fine but the question that I posed (so fucking long ago) basically asks:

Why is being a virgin better than not being one?

That is, what attributes does virginity have that make it so precious?

As such, I haven't been convinced that virginity is worth anything. More than anything this thread has reinforced my belief that people have believed this for a long time without really questioning it and when trying to explain their hold on virginity fall back on stereotypes, blatantly false ideas or the idea that being a virgin makes you "pure" (which is entirely subjective).

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Look that's fine but the question that I posed (so fucking long ago) basically asks:

Why is being a virgin better than not being one?

That is, what attributes does virginity have that make it so precious?

As such, I haven't been convinced that virginity is worth anything. More than anything this thread has reinforced my belief that people have believed this for a long time without really questioning it and when trying to explain their hold on virginity fall back on stereotypes, blatantly false ideas or the idea that being a virgin makes you "pure" (which is entirely subjective).
:)
I am saying , that valuing virginity is entirely subjective , it DOES often come down to religious beliefs , stereotypes , cultural climate. It just does. Different people will have varying opinions.
I think the only attribute that makes virginity precious is the owner placing a value on it.
My friend's mum has a china cup that is worth (monetarily) nothing but she values it - i dont value it myself but she does so when i go there i dont mess with it :)
A friend has some rosary beads that she places alot of value on , i dont particularly place value on them EXCEPT that she does. I dont pay her out for putting value on it. Its close to her heart.
In this world meaning itself is very subjective.

We all choose what to value , and i think as long as our values dont infringe on someone else in a bad way , we shouldnt feel a need to debate one another on whether it actually has value.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
So then couldn't we say that not being a virgin is equally valid?

Because I'm betting the majority of people saying that being a virgin is wonderful wouldn't agree with that statement.

Also, I always wanted to know why people put such weight on what is essentially a physical act. Just saying that they do so because "everyone is different" is a bit of a cop-out in my opinion.

You're a terrible debater in that sense too. Virtually every debate in the world could be halted by saying everyone is different but that's not the reason people argue these things. So I don't really know what you're doing in this thread if you're determined to keep it stagnant with statements like that.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
So then couldn't we say that not being a virgin is equally valid?

Because I'm betting the majority of people saying that being a virgin is wonderful wouldn't agree with that statement.

Also, I always wanted to know why people put such weight on what is essentially a physical act. Just saying that they do so because "everyone is different" is a bit of a cop-out in my opinion.

You're a terrible debater in that sense too. Virtually every debate in the world could be halted by saying everyone is different but that's not the reason people argue these things. So I don't really know what you're doing in this thread if you're determined to keep it stagnant with statements like that.
Because i dont think that apart from subjective things such as religion and culture , you CAN ascribe value to virginity.
My valuing virginity is resultant mostly from my religious faith.
Im betting people disagree with me left right and centre. And im saying i think that is fine.
I am not a terrible debater for taking a position different to the two main arguments.
I have a third one.
And i stated it above in other posts.
The value of a persons virginity is dependant on the meaning the person gives it.
Im not saying simply that everyone is different.
I think being a virgin can only be said to be"so good' if the person values it.

People place value on the act for subjective reasons , SUBJECTIVE- reasons pertaining to the individual.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Because i dont think that apart from subjective things such as religion and culture , you CAN ascribe value to virginity.
My valuing virginity is resultant mostly from my religious faith.
Im betting people disagree with me left right and centre. And im saying i think that is fine.
I am not a terrible debater for taking a position different to the two main arguments.
I have a third one.
And i stated it above in other posts.
The value of a persons virginity is dependant on the meaning the person gives it.
Im not saying simply that everyone is different.
I think being a virgin can only be said to be"so good' if the person values it.

People place value on the act for subjective reasons , SUBJECTIVE- reasons pertaining to the individual.
No, you're a terrible debater for taking no sides and "The value of a persons virginity is dependant on the meaning the person gives it." is part of the "everyone's different" argument.

If you take the faith route why do you believe that faith makes your virginity special?

Why would God ascribe such importance to something so physical when the rest of religious teachings are more about abstract ideas of goodness?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
No, you're a terrible debater for taking no sides and "The value of a persons virginity is dependant on the meaning the person gives it." is part of the "everyone's different" argument.

If you take the faith route why do you believe that faith makes your virginity special?

Why would God ascribe such importance to something so physical when the rest of religious teachings are more about abstract ideas of goodness?
I really dont 'get' how you cannot understand what i am saying.
Or why you seem to think there is only one absolute way a person can behave ,and we must debate until we reach consensus.
Pretty silly for something so personal.
I think it should be obvious, really , really obvious where i stand on the issue.
And i have NO IDEA how you have reached the conclusion that religious teachings are more about abstract ideas of goodness. Have you gotten religion and ethics mixed up?
In the bible you get: Love others , dont sin (fornication= sex before marriage= sin) , love God , trust God. Not very abstract...pretty darn obvious :)

Loving God and others isnt abstract..I dont see love as abstract or just feelings. Love to me is a verb. Something you DO. Not abstract at all.

Looking Glass

HSC
Perhaps some males are so proud becuase their virginity highlights the fact that women are repulsed by or otherwise entirely disinterested in them. Which, by extension, tends to identify a male as intelligent, emotionally complex, individualistic and caring.

The text-book "counter-point" to this is usually crying "unfair generalisation!"

Sure, you're right - it is. That doesn't make it any less of an observable trend, though.

As for women; as others have said, they probably find their virginity refreshing in a world of rampant sluttery. Sluttery which, by the way, I would consider natural and nothing to be ashamed of if it wasn't done in such a way that so regularly hurts others.

That and virgins of both sexes tend to be ashamed of themselves and insecure about their looks, inventing the idea of "moral superiority" to justify their failure. But that all goes without saying.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I really dont 'get' how you cannot understand what i am saying.
I get it. You on the other hand seem pretty confused even though I'm using proper spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

Or why you seem to think there is only one absolute way a person can behave ,and we must debate until we reach consensus.
Pretty silly for something so personal.
I think it should be obvious, really , really obvious where i stand on the issue.
And i have NO IDEA how you have reached the conclusion that religious teachings are more about abstract ideas of goodness. Have you gotten religion and ethics mixed up?
In the bible you get: Love others , dont sin (fornication= sex before marriage= sin) , love God , trust God. Not very abstract...pretty darn obvious :)
Yes but why is sex before marriage a sin? That's what I'm getting at here. Why would religious teachings be so specific about a physical act.

Love and trust are abstract ideals about being a good person. They're not tangible things like sex.

EDIT: Also, I don't mean to say that there is only way one to behave. Debate is about putting forward your ideas for other people to understand and weigh up against their own beliefs. Rarely do these big questions come to concrete conclusions but I still don't understand why people find sex to be so "bad" and virginity to be so "pure", especially when people pull religious teachings into the equation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)