• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is so good about being a virgin? (1 Viewer)

Evilo

HSC
Starcraftmazter said:
How did you collect these options? How many people did you poll? Or are they simply your own flawed perception of the reality?
Sorry if i didn't conduct an in-depth psychological study for a BOS thread. I'll change my degree to psyc, and my honours project can be to research this.
Thanks.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Which is what I outlined in my second question. Are you even bothering to read what I've said?

If they have pre-marital sex then get married what's the problem? They formed "the partnership" with sex and then made it official with the ceremony. If you think you've already addressed this then try to be more clear. Right now what you're saying is pretty convoluted.

Feel free to answer it in the morning
Ugh..reallly.
Can you read what i said again.
A marriage is a covenant , BEFORE GOD. Its a promise - &this promise and vow to one another should come before sex.
This shows that you have considered your vow , its not some rash one made thoughtlessly (maybe as a result of lust..which has a bit of a way of changing its object over time)

Personally , i dont think God would be too uptight about a ceremony. Its not about ceremony , it is about making a lifelong promise you are committed to keeping.

Pace_T

HSC
im going to get flamed for this
but i reckon so many people (females in particular) are beating down others who say they are saving it for someone special, because deep down they know they had sex with too many guys already and are defending their actions.

basically, they use people like TRUE as a tool to defend themselves.
of course they wont admit to it

girls who are truly happy with their sex history (whether they had one or not) wouldnt be inclined to argue with TRUE etc, IMO.

my flame suit is on you cunts. come get me :D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Evilo said:
oh fair enough lol i wouldn't doubt that at all :)

imo out of the "sex after marriage group" there are three clear groups

a) the people who agree because 'god said so', or their parents convinced them.
b) people who think its something that should be used on someone special
c) people who are ugly as fuck, and use the above reason as an excuse why they are not having sex.

Far too many people from a and c imo (although all of them will say b)
Starcraftzmazter I think the above is pretty accurate. They all apply to me anyway :rolleyes:

I think you can have a and b at the same time- they're not mutually exclusive. Also Christians don't refrain from premarital sex just because 'God says so'...that wouldn't be doing God's command any justice. As *TRUE* already pointed out, marriage is a "covenant" (basically a binding contract) and sex is meant to be an expression of that love. That's why we have the phrase "consummate the marriage"- it's to make a mutual lifelong committment between two people all the more special. Unfortunately we live in a culture which values individualism and instant gratification, and so premarital sex is not really a concern. In fact I think most people nowadays would think you're weird if you haven't lost your virginity by the time you're 18. But when you see sex through God's perspective, you appreciate why it's so special and why God put those rules there- it's all for our benefit!

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Pace_T said:
im going to get flamed for this
but i reckon so many people (females in particular) are beating down others who say they are saving it for someone special, because deep down they know they had sex with too many guys already and are defending their actions.

basically, they use people like TRUE as a tool to defend themselves.
of course they wont admit to it

girls who are truly happy with their sex history (whether they had one or not) wouldnt be inclined to argue with TRUE etc, IMO.

my flame suit is on you cunts. come get me :D
Look. You knew that was a cunty thing to say so I'm not really going to address why you did it.

I made this thread because I've always been curious as to people's reasoning when it comes to sex. More often than not I've found that their arguments are convoluted, thin on logic/rationale and based on blind faith more than anything else.

So far I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

True isn't really making a lot of sense. She's outlining her beliefs but the whole sex being a spiritual thing doesn't fly with me as at its core it's a physical act. The only psychological side effect is the release of happy drugs in the brain at climax.

She believes it's linked into her religion because of these blind faith based reasons and while that may be valid for her, it still doesn't answer my original question at the start of this thread.

No one, in this entire thread, has put forward a coherent argument as to why being a virgin is definitively better than being a non-virgin. And I doubt it'll happen because it is really a subjective thing and also the reason this thread has petered out and died before being bumped three times.

It's just interesting to watch people get really fired up about this without really debating and post rants, mostly faith based. I enjoy riling people up but at the end of the day I'm just trying to understand people's reasoning and thus far there's nothing that makes me thing "Oh crap, I really shouldn't have had all that sex".

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Look. You knew that was a cunty thing to say so I'm not really going to address why you did it.

I made this thread because I've always been curious as to people's reasoning when it comes to sex. More often than not I've found that their arguments are convoluted, thin on logic/rationale and based on blind faith more than anything else.

So far I haven't seen anything to change my mind.

True isn't really making a lot of sense. She's outlining her beliefs but the whole sex being a spiritual thing doesn't fly with me as at its core it's a physical act. The only psychological side effect is the release of happy drugs in the brain at climax.

She believes it's linked into her religion because of these blind faith based reasons and while that may be valid for her, it still doesn't answer my original question at the start of this thread.

No one, in this entire thread, has put forward a coherent argument as to why being a virgin is definitively better than being a non-virgin. And I doubt it'll happen because it is really a subjective thing and also the reason this thread has petered out and died before being bumped three times.

It's just interesting to watch people get really fired up about this without really debating and post rants, mostly faith based. I enjoy riling people up but at the end of the day I'm just trying to understand people's reasoning and thus far there's nothing that makes me thing "Oh crap, I really shouldn't have had all that sex".
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY GOSH you silly goose!
IT WAS MEEEEE who tried to say it was subjective!!!!!!! That YOU CANT ARGUE THAT IT IS BETTER OR WORSE!!! You wouldnt accept what i said yet you agreed with me all the time????
Hahaaaaaaaa :)

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
*TRUE* said:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY GOSH you silly goose!
IT WAS MEEEEE who tried to say it was subjective!!!!!!! That YOU CANT ARGUE THAT IT IS BETTER OR WORSE!!! You wouldnt accept what i said yet you agreed with me all the time????
Hahaaaaaaaa :)
Good point.

Although I still think it's kinda sad that you can't pinpoint an objective, logical reason to not have sex.

That's what I've always wanted someone to provide and even though now I think it's not possible, it doesn't exactly bode well for the argument for virginity that your beliefs are completely self-made and not something that actually means anything in a universal sense.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
Good point.

Although I still think it's kinda sad that you can't pinpoint an objective, logical reason to not have sex.

That's what I've always wanted someone to provide and even though now I think it's not possible, it doesn't exactly bode well for the argument for virginity that your beliefs are completely self-made and not something that actually means anything in a universal sense.
I think making a choice based on what you want ( based on what you believe , and you understand beliefs vary , right?) is logical in this matter:)
To say that people have to behave in a universal fashion is a little silly, given how different we all are.

I think virginity is 'so good' for me because it is in - line with what i believe.
Obviously i wouldnt neccessarily think it is 'so good' for someone who does not hold my beliefs.
And as you have seen I have outlined my beliefs :)

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I think making a choice based on what you want ( based on what you believe , and you understand beliefs vary , right?) is logical in this matter:)
To say that people have to behave in a universal fashion is a little silly, given how different we all are.

I think virginity is 'so good' for me because it is in - line with what i believe.
Obviously i wouldnt neccessarily think it is 'so good' for someone who does not hold my beliefs.
And as you have seen I have outlined my beliefs :)
In terms of the universality I guess I'm thinking that a majority of people say that "definitive ly some things are right and wrong" (especially when dealing with things that religion finds "sinful") and that it's interesting that something so core to Christianity can't be seen as a right/wrong thing out of religious context.

Again I'm not saying bad/good/blah/blah, just interesting.

Side note - if I believe that fairies are real and that's my belief system how is that logical? But really that's another can of worms that can stay in the God thread.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Tulipa said:
In terms of the universality I guess I'm thinking that a majority of people say that definitive some things are right and wrong (especially when dealing with things that religion finds "sinful") and that it's interesting that something so core to Christianity can't be seen as a right/wrong thing out of religious context.

Again I'm not saying bad/good/blah/blah, just interesting.
Yeah i know :)
I suppose as a Christian i think everyone should hold my beliefs , but the fact is they dont , so for me to judge someone for not doing as i do , is just stupid.
So for a secular debate on virginity , the only position i can really take is that virginity is something that the individual can ascribe whatever value to (as they please)
:)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
DownInFlames said:
A single, objective reason not to have sex: abstinence is the only 100% effective method of contraception and greatly reduces your risk of getting stds and cervical cancer and such.

That's about all I can think of.
Its maybe the best way to avoid STD's but it isnt always effective.
Rape...or the person you marry being infected....i know what u mean though.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
DownInFlames said:
A single, objective reason not to have sex: abstinence is the only 100% effective method of contraception and greatly reduces your risk of getting stds and cervical cancer and such.

That's about all I can think of.
Condoms, the Pill, the cervical cancer jab and getting regular STD/HIV tests.

They may not be 100% but if you've got all four then you're pretty damn close.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Pace_T said:
imbut i reckon so many people (females in particular) are beating down others who say they are saving it for someone special, because deep down they know they had sex with too many guys already and are defending their actions.
I'm with this guy. This thread stinks of those desporatly seeking justification for something they regret, either consciencely or un

evry1getscrewed

HSC
Tulipa said:
No one, in this entire thread, has put forward a coherent argument as to why being a virgin is definitively better than being a non-virgin. .
want to know why?

because noone in the pro-virginity camp actually thinks that they are better huma beings for being virgins. what ive seen so far is people either give some reasons, then get shot down for being narrowminded, or say that its all up to the value the individual places on it, then get shot down for not being specific.

problem?

you can give reasons such as:
~ something special for your husband/spouse
~ much lower risk of stds
~ lack of sexual involvement allows a clearer judgement of the person, therefore a more accurate judgement of whether you want to be with them
~ not wanting to sleep with too many people
~ religious reasons (God created sex to be shared between a man and a woman who would not break the spiritual bond created by marriage and sex)
~ purity
~ protect yourself from people who use you for sex
~ so on, so forth. there are a bunch more

someone will inevitably go through that post, though, and tell them exactly why they are wrong and how none of that really matters.

so, i could say that it comes down to the belief and values of the individual, and that virginity has only the value you place on it.

but then someone else will have a problem because i havent put forward a coherent arguement to convince you.

but i dont think you want to be convinced.

just putting it out there, i read a really great book by a guy named jason stevens, who plays (or played) rugby league for nsw and for australia. he wrote a book called 'worth the wait' and in it he gives some of his reasons for no longer having sex (he used to have sex with anything that had two legs and a vagina). if you want to hear more perspectives on this, have a look. he is a christian, but keeps religious reasons out of it, giving practical reasons why (he does mention God in his last chapter but warns the reader and tells them to stop reading if they're happy with everything he's already said and don't particularly want to read about religion).

anyway, enjoy ripping apart my post if you so desire. i'll be back on later to chat some more :uhhuh:

HSC
evry1getscrewed said:
want to know why?

because noone in the pro-virginity camp actually thinks that they are better huma beings for being virgins. what ive seen so far is people either give some reasons, then get shot down for being narrowminded, or say that its all up to the value the individual places on it, then get shot down for not being specific.

problem?

you can give reasons such as:
~ something special for your husband/spouse
~ much lower risk of stds
~ lack of sexual involvement allows a clearer judgement of the person, therefore a more accurate judgement of whether you want to be with them
~ not wanting to sleep with too many people
~ religious reasons (God created sex to be shared between a man and a woman who would not break the spiritual bond created by marriage and sex)
~ purity
~ protect yourself from people who use you for sex
~ so on, so forth. there are a bunch more

someone will inevitably go through that post, though, and tell them exactly why they are wrong and how none of that really matters.

so, i could say that it comes down to the belief and values of the individual, and that virginity has only the value you place on it.

but then someone else will have a problem because i havent put forward a coherent arguement to convince you.

but i dont think you want to be convinced.

just putting it out there, i read a really great book by a guy named jason stevens, who plays (or played) rugby league for nsw and for australia. he wrote a book called 'worth the wait' and in it he gives some of his reasons for no longer having sex (he used to have sex with anything that had two legs and a vagina). if you want to hear more perspectives on this, have a look. he is a christian, but keeps religious reasons out of it, giving practical reasons why (he does mention God in his last chapter but warns the reader and tells them to stop reading if they're happy with everything he's already said and don't particularly want to read about religion).

anyway, enjoy ripping apart my post if you so desire. i'll be back on later to chat some more :uhhuh:
This what i'm trying to say! Best post ever! Thank you.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)