• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is so good about Usyd? (3 Viewers)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Am I going to be laughed at if I show up with paper and pens to take my notes on? :(

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I suppose, in an international context, USyd might initially seem more prestigious than UNSW, based on its name. After all, one is the University of SYDNEY, while the other is University of New South Wales.

HSC
I suppose, in an international context, USyd might initially seem more prestigious than UNSW, based on its name. After all, one is the University of SYDNEY, while the other is University of New South Wales.
In that case the University of Western Sydney should follow this criteria?

I think it's just still revered by old fashioned people. Like my dad doesn't seem to realise there are other universities apart from USYD and UNSW. He still thinks those are the only 2 unis in the state in which you can get a MBBS, and I bet there are heaps of older people that think the same.

inJust

HSC
I don't get your point? If anything, it'll seem better because it covers more geographical space. For example hypothetically, University of Australia, or University of Sydney.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
^ANU is pretty well respected (or so I hear). And I mean to say that most people overseas wouldn't have heard of New South Wales, but probably would have heard of Sydney.

HSC
I think most overseas students probably know of NSW and VIC universities more as these states have higher migrant populations, so I can guess word gets back to family overseas etc? Just guesstimating. Probably wrong.

There's a girl I talk to from Sri Lanka, she went to Deakin university, and she was telling me that her family only considered NSW and VIC universities for her to go to. *shrugs*

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Reading through this thread, I didn't know that people considered USyd superior to UNSW. I always assumed they were roughly equal overall (but not for specific faculties).

HSC
Reading through this thread, I didn't know that people considered USyd superior to UNSW. I always assumed they were roughly equal overall (but not for specific faculties).
I honestly thought this as well. That it was just a 'turf war' because they're somewhat reasonably close to each other and are older.

acemusic415

HSC
I honestly thought this as well. That it was just a 'turf war' because they're somewhat reasonably close to each other and are older.
It's really word of mouth. When I grew up, families from the west, particularly the south west (the areas that are bombarded with asians) always talked highly of USYD and UNSW to a lesser extent. In my opinion, it's just that I think USYD has been around for years and a lot of people pick up on it, hence the word of mouth.

But, I must admit, USYD has a superior law building - the sexist construction ever. Though, UNSW has a quite nice feel to it - I quite like the purple in the law building.

HSC
All I know is, everywhere feels more warm and comforting than UTS does :p Everything feels harsh, sterile and cold to me. I could never feel comfortable anywhere there except for in the laboratories of course ;)

acemusic415

HSC
All I know is, everywhere feels more warm and comforting than UTS does :p Everything feels harsh, sterile and cold to me. I could never feel comfortable anywhere there except for in the laboratories of course ;)
I remember going to Toronto, Canada and I saw my cousin's university - it was the spitting image of the UTS. The dry, dull and tall building was a striking reminder of UTS. I guess UTS isn't alone.

P.S: The uni is called Ryerson University.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not entirely sure, I hear a lot about how many USYD students have to pay their way in (I'm assuming paying full fee) instead of those who actually get the proper ATAR. I'm not so sure, correct me, but this is the stuff I'm hearing.
Rudd abolished the act. Domestic students cannot pay their way into Uni anymore.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
grass in USYD quad > grass at UNSW > grass at Macquarie > grass at UTS (oh wai-)
FKING LOLOLOL

seriously,
I transferred from UWS to USYD (Commerce), why did I choose this over UNSW:
  • didn't think my GPA and ATAR was enough to get into UNSW
  • prestige (overall) + my brother graduated from economics and law here
  • easy to get to (I'm coming from the Liverpool/Cabramatta area) + in/near the CBD
  • I think they set higher standards than over unis
What I don't like about USYD: so many old and shit facilities, lack of computers, too bureaucratic, shit timetabling system, $150 or whatever amount to get Access card to join the union in-order to sign up for societies/clubs is a joke

Last edited:

kcqn93

HSC
FKING LOLOLOL

seriously,
I transferred from UWS to USYD (Commerce), why did I choose this over UNSW:
  • didn't think my GPA and ATAR was enough to get into UNSW
  • prestige (overall) + my brother graduated from economics and law here
  • easy to get to (I'm coming from the Liverpool/Cabramatta area) + in/near the CBD
  • I think they set higher standards than over unis
What I don't like about USYD: so many old and shit facilities, lack of computers, too bureaucratic, shit timetabling system, $150 or whatever amount to get Access card to join the union in-order to sign up for societies/clubs is a joke
Lack of computers? You're not looking hard enough.

Access cards, I agree however I believe that UNSW has a similar system. ARC I believe it's called.

---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeAqeRxYZk <-- usyd science is pretty cool lol (off topic)

HSC
Lack of computers? You're not looking hard enough.

Access cards, I agree however I believe that UNSW has a similar system. ARC I believe it's called.

---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeAqeRxYZk <-- usyd science is pretty cool lol (off topic)
Looks like it only costs $29 to join ARC from what I can read? http://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/membership
$150 for a student union seems outrageous to me. I hope the free diary is covered in gold.
I think however some of the clubs/societies you join you pay an additional fee, but some are free.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)