• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is so good about Usyd? (3 Viewers)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
yeah, but USYD med students have to wait at least three years until they can do anything med related
but that's got nothing to do with what I was talking about above. I was commenting on quality of assessments, more specifically that since 4025808 told us that USYD accounting has a crap assessment like that, I said it is not unique to USYD but is also present in UNSW although in different discipline and form.

and actually, if you are talking about med related subjects, you can do plenty of them in both advanced science and medical science. Just that the med course itself is a graduate course and therefore requires a completed undergraduate degree to enrol in it. Depends on which one you prefer; 6 years undergrad or 7 years undergrad+grad which leaves you on similar steads in terms of medical career prospects in the end, but with different skills and experiences.

izzy88

HSC
- It offers the best undergraduate law degree in the country (arguable in the world, after Cambridge & Oxford - since U.S. Uni's only offer the JD)
- World class facilities, it only takes a look at the law building to establish that
- More opportunities than any other university in Australia: Allows you to go on exchange practically anywhere in the world, including prestigious US university's such as Harvard & UCLA. The Commerce degree allows you to attend internships in your second year (in our summer) to Washington D.C., this is valuable experience that will no doubt be useful for future employment. The USyd Law faculty also has ties with Oxford University, allowing high achieving students to go to Oxford in the 2nd semester of their fifth year and undertaking a Bachelor of Civil Law or a Master's in Law & Finance, taking you just 6 extra months from the original 5 year conclusion of your degree & giving you an extra Oxford degree. Students also have the opportunity to study at the Himalayan Field School.

This is why I choose Sydney Uni.
I do law at usyd. I like it, however I hope you chose sydney uni for a little more than some of the above reasons. Just to dispel some things:

1. World class facilities: buildings don't mean much - its the lecturers and your classmates (including class sizes) that have an impact on your learning. At sydney, a lot of law classes aren't even in the law building - they are in other rooms around the uni including carlsaw (ugly building a couple down from law school), the quad and mereweather (commerce area).

2. Exchange - Yes there are good uni's to go on exchange too however the Harvard exchange isn't really running. It relies on someone from Harvard wanting to come to usyd, and this year, no one did - so no one went on exchange to Harvard.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
USyd is also bureaucratic, schlerotic - not customer-oriented. Years ago you were students; now you are fee-paying clients. A lot of things that could be made easier for students are often still the old crappy way.

But to the outside world, Sydney Uni must rank ahead of U of NSW. I'm not saying USyd is necessarily better - but the world outside Australia would think that it is better. That's what prestige is all about, whether deserved or not.
Actually this ranking does not seem to matter when one travels outside Australia. Having been to conferences within Australia the ranking is seen as extremely important by the attending academics and there is a definite pecking order. Australia is only a bit player in the world of academia. Academics from other countries tend to see all of us as academics from "down under".

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol shadowdude, I normally don't take anything against your comments when they seem logically sound and appropriate, but this one...

the bolded part: Please elaborate. If such an opportunity exists, it just does. What's so far-fetched about it? How do you know if he'll prob never take it up? Do you know him?

World uni ranks are normally based on quality of research, academics, facilities, and teaching. All are part of the ranks. And taking undergrad at USYD also may mean there is more postgrad opportunities at USYD for him as well (I don't do law so can't guarantee this).

and about debating competition. So has UNSW ever won one? What better things can UNSW offer to support its debating team/teaching quality (that it's better than USYD since he was choosing between UNSW and USYD)?

Your argument (well, not really an argument but anyway) looks like nothing more than a meaningless mockery of his research.
I just think that there were so many other better arguments to use. For example, if he was to write an essay on why he picked Sydney and used those points without saying "Oh and I like exchange because I really want to do it" and "And I want to do debating because I am interested in it and I will join"... it's weak points.

I mean, to me, "I picked Sydney because I have friends there" or even "lol UNSW Law building looks weird" would have greater merit than that (and I agree the Law building at UNSW is ???) - at least it could be somewhat relevant to the actual course.

In hindsight, yes, I did assume a few things but overall... I just think from his post, the reasons (for me) aren't that good.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
My opinion is biased. UNSW over USyd
i: My dad has been a lecturer for aaaages there. So I've spent some time on campus and I feel sorta familiar with it.
ii: It's closer to where I live than USyd
iii: It's got a better rep for Engo.
iv: My degree is only offered @ UNSW.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Mm, i'm only in yr 10 but in answer to why Usyd is good, I don't think there really is a perfect university as everybody has their own preferences. Some might like UTS and others might prefer UNSW so it varies.

Ideally, you want to get into a uni with a good academic reputation, but I have a family friend who actually had to move from UTS to UNSW because he told me the practical side in engineering was too difficult there and he found UNSW much easier. So even a more reputable institute doesn't necessarily mean it will provide more for the course you're undertaking.

Consider what course you enjoy and find the right university for YOU, not what others believe are right for you. Wish you luck in whatever uni you're at whilst i'm still struggling in high school ^^

acemusic415

HSC
The thing I don't understand is the superiority complex regarding those students from USYD who pay their way in? Why would you look down on a student from the western suburbs when you paid your way in? And even if they didn't pay their way in, wouldn't a USYD law or med student from the west be praiseworthy in terms of their achievements?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
The thing I don't understand is the superiority complex regarding those students from USYD who pay their way in? Why would you look down on a student from the western suburbs when you paid your way in? And even if they didn't pay their way in, wouldn't a USYD law or med student from the west be praiseworthy in terms of their achievements?
I agree with that.^ There's like some form of hierarchy in NSW where people are being accepted solely based on what ATAR they got and what Uni course they're attending.

HSC
Apparently not. You can achieve the same marks, but you can't be on the same level? You'd think that money was the same regardless whose hands it's in, but apparently to some people, money takes on a different quality when possessed by others who live in another location. I thoroughly do not understand this business with snobbing students from traditionally lower socio-economic areas. Really? Instead of thinking "hey that's gret, this person has worked really hard to get here" they're thinking "You're from Mt Druitt? Yeah, can you step away please?". Why nitpick your friends based on their postcode? It honestly sounds like one giant circlejerk. Are their parents all "Look here son. If you get familiar with anybody not from within our locale, I'll fire your butler and private chauffer, savvy?"

Not really sure what you mean by "paid your way in", do you mean full fee paying students (paying their whole tuition upfront)?

HSC
Also, I really had no idea that there truly was this level of snobbery amongst the students there. I'm still somewhat hoping it's an exaggeration, because who wants to go to a uni on your first day, terrified and thinking you won't make a single friend , then get shit because your parents rent/own a home in a less then desirable suburb :/

Well, I hope these kids get a wake up call when they leave uni and start working...

inJust

HSC
Like I said in some other thread, the best moments in life are the "what now m*th*rf*ck*er" moments. And if you go USYD and beat those guys in exams and assignments, just see who's laughing now. They'll be sucking up to be with you in group assignments.

kcqn93

HSC
Also, I really had no idea that there truly was this level of snobbery amongst the students there. I'm still somewhat hoping it's an exaggeration, because who wants to go to a uni on your first day, terrified and thinking you won't make a single friend , then get shit because your parents rent/own a home in a less then desirable suburb :/

Well, I hope these kids get a wake up call when they leave uni and start working...
I'm from the western suburbs, I made friends with other people from my area. The rich kids are really hard to get along with. But they're mostly arts and law students. Rarely ever on their side of campus.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah, I'm gonna make sure those North Shore cunts know they've got nothing on me. :)
CTown Reppin'!

(Also, I didn't know any of this and a bunch of my friends from CTown are going to USyd.)

Last edited:

acemusic415

HSC
Apparently not. You can achieve the same marks, but you can't be on the same level? You'd think that money was the same regardless whose hands it's in, but apparently to some people, money takes on a different quality when possessed by others who live in another location. I thoroughly do not understand this business with snobbing students from traditionally lower socio-economic areas. Really? Instead of thinking "hey that's gret, this person has worked really hard to get here" they're thinking "You're from Mt Druitt? Yeah, can you step away please?". Why nitpick your friends based on their postcode? It honestly sounds like one giant circlejerk. Are their parents all "Look here son. If you get familiar with anybody not from within our locale, I'll fire your butler and private chauffer, savvy?"

Not really sure what you mean by "paid your way in", do you mean full fee paying students (paying their whole tuition upfront)?
I'm not entirely sure, I hear a lot about how many USYD students have to pay their way in (I'm assuming paying full fee) instead of those who actually get the proper ATAR. I'm not so sure, correct me, but this is the stuff I'm hearing.

HSC
When I was in high school (05) there used to be full fee paying positions along with csp. The full fee paying positions had a lower rank requirement, usually 5-10 points lower, and it was a significant advantage for those who could afford it. I don't think they do this anymore though? If they don't have the lower rank score bonus anymore, then they can't really be trying to one-up themselves.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I just think that there were so many other better arguments to use. For example, if he was to write an essay on why he picked Sydney and used those points without saying "Oh and I like exchange because I really want to do it" and "And I want to do debating because I am interested in it and I will join"... it's weak points.

I mean, to me, "I picked Sydney because I have friends there" or even "lol UNSW Law building looks weird" would have greater merit than that (and I agree the Law building at UNSW is ???) - at least it could be somewhat relevant to the actual course.

In hindsight, yes, I did assume a few things but overall... I just think from his post, the reasons (for me) aren't that good.
Yeah I see what you mean. One thing I kinda always seem to assume when I hear them though is that they are presumably interested in doing them - because it also doesn't make sense to me to talk about them if it's going to be irrelevant to them. Hence why I thought you were just mocking him.

I'm not entirely sure, I hear a lot about how many USYD students have to pay their way in (I'm assuming paying full fee) instead of those who actually get the proper ATAR. I'm not so sure, correct me, but this is the stuff I'm hearing.
This full fee paying deal used to exist (and not exclusive to USYD), but from what I hear, it's been removed a while ago (I forgot when). Only international students pay the full fee as far as I know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)