• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What is so good about Usyd? (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
USyd is also bureaucratic, schlerotic - not customer-oriented. Years ago you were students; now you are fee-paying clients. A lot of things that could be made easier for students are often still the old crappy way.
yes this

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
speaking from experience, when someone asks where you live and you reply with a western sydney suburb and they loook at you like "oh...okay...im from vaucluse..." and become really awkward.
but in reality how different is the ability really between someone who go 49 and someone who got 50?
lol hmm, sure they just don't have anything to say since they don't know about western sydney suburbs?
but yeah, kinda awkward, it sounds.

and I don't know what the actual difference is, but USYD doesn't have any policy that says someone needs to get a fail grade. In other words, if they do give it, it means that the students' performance was deemed below their acceptable standards. Achieving a fail after getting into the degree is imo seriously quite an achievement - it's not that easy to do unless you don't give a shit about uni at all.

HSC
Uni Grad
lol hmm, sure they just don't have anything to say since they don't know about western sydney suburbs?
but yeah, kinda awkward, it sounds.

and I don't know what the actual difference is, but USYD doesn't have any policy that says someone needs to get a fail grade. In other words, if they do give it, it means that the students' performance was deemed below their acceptable standards. Achieving a fail after getting into the degree is imo seriously quite an achievement - it's not that easy to do unless you don't give a shit about uni at all.
the idea of a person from a rich area looking down at those living in the western suburbs is actually very common in Sydney. Wealthier people in Sydney tend to look down at people living in the western suburbs all the time, which I think is shitty.

Anyway, what's more about USYD is that I heard that in the first two weeks of their accounting lecture in the first year, they assess on the history of accounting, also with an essay that you have to write. Whereas in UNSW and UTS, in the first few weeks, you learn how to utilize stuff like data tables, spreadsheets, etc, thus being more practical.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
the idea of a person from a rich area looking down at those living in the western suburbs is actually very common in Sydney. Wealthier people in Sydney tend to look down at people living in the western suburbs all the time, which I think is shitty.

Anyway, what's more about USYD is that I heard that in the first two weeks of their accounting lecture in the first year, they assess on the history of accounting, also with an essay that you have to write. Whereas in UNSW and UTS, in the first few weeks, you learn how to utilize stuff like data tables, spreadsheets, etc, thus being more practical.
Hmm okay, I've personally never seen it happening to me but yeah, it sounds pretty bad and discriminatory.

bolded bit: lol that's pretty shitty. But on similar note, I've heard that UNSW med students are forced to write essays on something pointless like "how has your concept of teamwork developed during your studies of Phase 1?" and they apparently count for about 30% or so of their final mark? (not sure 100% though, told so from a friend of mine)
Similar thing, just happening to different subject areas.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

yeah lol I heard about that accounting thing

My lecturer was like "At Sydney, you learn about the history of accounting... but that's useless so we're not going to teach you that".

HSC
There were only two uni's which I could afford to go to which offer microbiology as a major, USYD and UNSW.

Chose UNSW because
-could get my statistics subject credited, so didn't have to take proper maths
-had a better alternative entry and mature age entry scheme which suited my previous experience (couldn't apply as a mature age student at USYD because you have to have never been to university previously, or if you have then you had to have stayed for less then a year full time.)
-USYD's website, course outlines, handbook were a pain in the ass to go through, and it felt I was deciphering a fucking code at times. Yeah this is minor, but if unis like Charles Sturt have a better website in terms of how easy it is to find information, that speak volumes to me.
-To me, from all the reading I did via their websites, brochures, going in and having a look around at the place, UNSW just felt like it had the better biological science department and the research projects seemed like topics I'd find interesting to do in future years

If they snob people from the western suburbs at USYD, sounds like I'd be freaking crucified :/ Central coast = western suburbs by the sea :(

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If they snob people from the western suburbs at USYD, sounds like I'd be freaking crucified :/ Central coast = western suburbs by the sea :(
I'm from Campbelltown and I'll probs be going to USyd.
I'm sure the can't be that bad to people from da west.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm from Campbelltown and I'll probs be going to USyd.
I'm sure the can't be that bad to people from da west.
You'll find out soon enough. But meilz gets crucified enough as is, and she's from Richmond-way. How much worse C-town?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm okay, I've personally never seen it happening to me but yeah, it sounds pretty bad and discriminatory.

bolded bit: lol that's pretty shitty. But on similar note, I've heard that UNSW med students are forced to write essays on something pointless like "how has your concept of teamwork developed during your studies of Phase 1?" and they apparently count for about 30% or so of their final mark? (not sure 100% though, told so from a friend of mine)
Similar thing, just happening to different subject areas.
yeah, but USYD med students have to wait at least three years until they can do anything med related

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm going to start Com/Law at USyd and I had the option of studying it at UNSW, but I picked USyd because:

- It offers the best undergraduate law degree in the country (arguable in the world, after Cambridge & Oxford - since U.S. Uni's only offer the JD)
- Ranked 11th in the world for Law (competing with ivy league university's) and ranked 4th in the world for legal research
- Prestigious university degree than is world renown and respected with a tremendous list of alumni working in every facet of industry, to public office & diplomacy
- Debaters from Sydney University are the best in the world. This is evidence by USyd winning the 2010 World Universities Debating Championship in Turkey, against universities such as Harvard & Oxford. We also won the 2011 Jessup Mooting Competition in Washington D.C., the most prestigious law school mooting competition in the world, by defeating Columbia University in the finals
- World class facilities, it only takes a look at the law building to establish that
- More opportunities than any other university in Australia: Allows you to go on exchange practically anywhere in the world, including prestigious US university's such as Harvard & UCLA. The Commerce degree allows you to attend internships in your second year (in our summer) to Washington D.C., this is valuable experience that will no doubt be useful for future employment. The USyd Law faculty also has ties with Oxford University, allowing high achieving students to go to Oxford in the 2nd semester of their fifth year and undertaking a Bachelor of Civil Law or a Master's in Law & Finance, taking you just 6 extra months from the original 5 year conclusion of your degree & giving you an extra Oxford degree. Students also have the opportunity to study at the Himalayan Field School.

This is why I choose Sydney Uni.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So you basically chose Sydney uni.. because of world rankings which are irrelevant to your undergraduate study and due to far-fetched opportunities for exchange which you probably will never even take up and prestige and because of some law debating competition and because of a new Law building.

Nothing about quality of the tutelage or anything like that, closest there is "world class facilities" or whatever it was.

yeah, good luck with that

halapenyo

HSC
sydney uni has less asians and indians. so if you prefer being around white people usyd is better.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
So you basically chose Sydney uni.. because of world rankings which are irrelevant to your undergraduate study and due to far-fetched opportunities for exchange which you probably will never even take up and prestige and because of some law debating competition and because of a new Law building.

Nothing about quality of the tutelage or anything like that, closest there is "world class facilities" or whatever it was.

yeah, good luck with that
lol shadowdude, I normally don't take anything against your comments when they seem logically sound and appropriate, but this one...

the bolded part: Please elaborate. If such an opportunity exists, it just does. What's so far-fetched about it? How do you know if he'll prob never take it up? Do you know him?

World uni ranks are normally based on quality of research, academics, facilities, and teaching. All are part of the ranks. And taking undergrad at USYD also may mean there is more postgrad opportunities at USYD for him as well (I don't do law so can't guarantee this).

and about debating competition. So has UNSW ever won one? What better things can UNSW offer to support its debating team/teaching quality (that it's better than USYD since he was choosing between UNSW and USYD)?

Your argument (well, not really an argument but anyway) looks like nothing more than a meaningless mockery of his research.

inJust

HSC
Usyd Law/comm or UNSW law/comm? posting here cos thread gets no attention.

inJust

HSC
What if you're asian but you wanna make more white friends?

inJust

HSC
All jokes aside, which one is objectively better? In terms of course?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
That being said USyd is the longer established institution with greater networking [speaking in terms of the LLB/JD].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)