• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what is the best public school out there? (1 Viewer)

best public school...?

• James Ruse Agricultural High School

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • North Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • Baulkham Hills High School

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Killara High School

• Cheltenham Girls High School

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 27 21.3%
  • Hurlstone Agricultural High School

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Northern Beaches Secondary College (any campus)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Fort Street High School

• Caringbah High School

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

bobo123

HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

How is High poor? Good question.

Without much other resources, I've cited two articles: High's Annual Report 2001 and Bossley Park Public School's (my sister's school) Annual Report 2002. Now before you tell me wtf are you doing Frigid - you comparing a high school to a primary school - let me say, one expects a high school to have more income, more expenditure and finally, a bigger balance carried forward. Now I'll let some numbers do the talking:

Income:
Balance Brought Foward: (SBHS) $137.2K ; (BPPS) $218.7K
Total Income for year: (SBHS) $1.9M ; (BPPS) $618.8K

Expenditure:
Total Expenditure: (SBHS) $1.8M; (BPPS) $398.6K
Balance Carried Forward:: (SBHS) $190K ; (BPPS) $ 220.3K

As it is clearly shown, in both the start and the end of the year, my sister's school, my sister's normal public primary school, managed to have more funds than High. Are we not poor, when we have less money, obviously, than my sister's school? And this is not counting the fact that our school is normally compared with the private boys' schools of the GPS, whose budgets extend to the tens of millions. Therefore, in their eyes, or even in the eyes of a humble local public school, our budget is one of paltriness. I again hope you do not disagree.

I rest my case.
Your argument is invalid.
If you refer again to the figures you posted concerning BPPS's finaces, you will find that around ~230K is missing. Corruption maybe? or just numbers plucked from thin air. ;)

You seek to compare a high school with a primary school, a comparison which you already have acknowledged to have fallacies. You have also made the assumption that a closing balance of a school is a measurement of wealth, a point which i must disagree with. By look at your figures alone, you can see that High has triple the income as the public school, as well as nearly 6 times the expenditure. I cannot argue whether High is a "poor" school or not, since "poor" is such a relative term, but your figures certainly do not justify your point.

and you cant rest a case twice
:)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bobo123:
If you refer again to the figures you posted concerning BPPS's finaces, you will find that around ~230K is missing. Corruption maybe? or just numbers plucked from thin air.
Ahh, that's just me being lazy again...

For all you people who speculate my figures, here's the full version.

BBF: (SBHS) $137,196.49 ; (BPPS) $218,677.00
TIncome: (SBHS) $1,989,270.47 ; (BPPS) $618,840.00
TExpenditure: (SBHS) $1,798,936.66 ; (BPPS) $398,560.00
BCF: (SBHS) $190,333.81 ; (BPPS) $220,280.00

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding... See, it's not good to round things off...

You seek to compare a high school with a primary school, a comparison which you already have acknowledged to have fallacies. You have also made the assumption that a closing balance of a school is a measurement of wealth, a point which i must disagree with. By look at your figures alone, you can see that High has triple the income as the public school, as well as nearly 6 times the expenditure. I cannot argue whether High is a "poor" school or not, since "poor" is such a relative term, but your figures certainly do not justify your point.
I only seeked to compare a high school with a primary school because of the limited availability of the evidence in hand. However, I am sure, bobo, if you find Joeys'/Kings'/Newington's etc. financial statements, you will find the figures almost quadrupling. My argument is not flawed, because it demonstrates a point which you do not realised: High has 1100 boys, BPPS has 400 boys/girls. Therefore, if you triple their income/expenditure/balances, you will see the difference.

You are right, however, to say ""poor" is such a relative term". One example I can think of is that High helped a country NSW primary school with a fundraising day, to collect funds for a playground. Yes, compared to that school we are rich; but comparatively we are poor. NB what I said: "And this is not counting the fact that our school is normally compared with the private boys' schools of the GPS, whose budgets extend to the tens of millions."

I wonder why eviltama is not answering my post. I think my invective made her give her tacit agreement to my thoughts.
:D

O, I can't rest my case twice? Pffft.

I rest my case. Thrice.
:p

bobo123

HSC

BBF: (SBHS) $137,196.49 ; (BPPS) $218,677.00
TIncome: (SBHS) $1,989,270.47 ; (BPPS) $618,840.00
TExpenditure: (SBHS) $1,798,936.66 ; (BPPS) $398,560.00
BCF: (SBHS) $190,333.81 ; (BPPS) $220,280.00

Hope that clears up the misunderstanding... See, it's not good to round things off...

I only seeked to compare a high school with a primary school because of the limited availability of the evidence in hand. However, I am sure, bobo, if you find Joeys'/Kings'/Newington's etc. financial statements, you will find the figures almost quadrupling. My argument is not flawed, because it demonstrates a point which you do not realised: High has 1100 boys, BPPS has 400 boys/girls. Therefore, if you triple their income/expenditure/balances, you will see the difference.

our school is normally compared with the private boys' schools of the GPS, whose budgets extend to the tens of millions."

:p
im sorry but
i dont see how rounding off can explain the missing money.
From your full figures, the BPPS account is missing $218,676.00.

Your argument is again flawed if you consider population to be the sole determinant of income/expenditure. Only by ceteris paribus (heh my shoddy latin), will your statement make sense and obviously this is impossible. A high school boy's school expenses will definately differ from a primary school student's account. Or are you trying to imply that High only offers the same activites and opportunities as a primary school does? ;)

If you keep refering to the accounts of the private GPS schools, provide the figures to back your argument up. High might not be the richest in the state, but they far from the bottom too.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
sorry Frigid... pc problems...

as for ur arguement, i think u were perfectly right to compare High to a primary school... ur arguements are at abt that level. U read the paper? Ur school got mentioned... i'm surprised u havent even mentioned that yet...

or maybe u didnt want ppl to know that High wasnt classed as one of the best schools in ur district... it barely even ranked...

anywayz gtg continue fix my pc :D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
bobo, wtf, is your calculator working?
***Equation: TIncome - TExpenditure = BCF***
SBHS: 1,989,270.47 minus 1,798,936.66 = $190,333.81
BPPS: $618,840.00 minus $398,560 = $220,280

And no, I'm not implying that High is offering the same services as BPPS. In terms of the accounts of the GPS schools, I'm working on finding it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eviltama:

Your pc 'k?

as for ur arguement (sic), i think u were perfectly right to compare High to a primary school... ur arguements (sic) are at abt (sic) that level. U (sic) read the paper? Ur (sic) school got mentioned... i'm surprised u (sic) havent (sic) even mentioned that yet...
What are you trying to say? I express my sincerest apologies that my comprehension does not fully grasp the meaning of your words. Are you trying to use sarcasm in your "arguement (sic)"? And, if - as you say - my "arguements (sic) are at abt (sic) that level (that of a primary school)", do you expect primary children to study Cicero's In Catalinam (the inspiration for my previous invective)?

Nah, I'm sorry... Yes I read the article in the paper... But you've got to realise "value for money" (is that the right article? it was in SMH methinks) does not equal 'richness' (or poverty for that matter)... My school is pretty paltry compared to other GPS schools - that you've got to agree.

Anyway, best wishes to your troubleshooting.
I'm sure you and I would agree that f*cked-up computers are a bitch to handle. :p

Peace, Frigid, out.

Originally posted by phenol
i like beans...
this is a poor point for this topic-hmm the best public school.Also this question is not specific.All schools have an edge in one area or another.In term of hsc performance, ruse beats most other schools.But in terms of canteen resources, it may be a completely different story.I think people will show more favouritism with other schools.The author should be more specific with their question.

bobo123

HSC
bobo, wtf, is your calculator working?
***Equation: TIncome - TExpenditure = BCF***
BPPS: $618,840.00 minus $398,560 = $220,280

I'm a very inept business studies student but even i can see that you neglected to include the balance brought forward from the previous year.

The correct equation should be:

Balance bought forward + Income - Expenditure = Balance Carried Over.

I'm also terribly inaccurate in my arithmetic. You can do the numbers. :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
You may be an inept BS student, but you realise I am copying these figures from the Annual reports. For some reason, the BBF is already included inside Total Income. Therefore my numbers are right. If you don't believe me, go get YOUR school annual report and have a look at the presentation of the figures. I assure you I have not made a mistake, nor have I pulled these numbers out of my ass.

yeh, people still don't get it-read the question.It's really general.It doesn't say in which area that a public school is better then other.

bobo123

HSC
rofl, regardless of whatever accounting methods you choose to employ, you still don't prove your point that High is poor in any respects, perhaps a little lacking in the humility department, but thats about it :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
If it were so easy, bobo, to find comparable financial records of the other GPS schools, they wouldn't be getting so much money from the government, would they? I still can't find any of those statements on their webpages. Bastards.

High lacking in pudor? Hmmm, our prefects' motto is "veritate et pudor", but then again, I'm not a prefect. :p
All the better I guess.

Damn humility. If one's got the goods, one should show it. Humility is for the humbled.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Yo W** H**!~!~ Sup in da hood!

Hehe seems no-one is posting anymore.

Last edited:

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

this is a poor point for this topic-hmm the best public school.Also this question is not specific.All schools have an edge in one area or another.In term of hsc performance, ruse beats most other schools.But in terms of canteen resources, it may be a completely different story.I think people will show more favouritism with other schools.The author should be more specific with their question.
sorry i didnt spell it out for you. no need to criticise, you dont like the poll dont visit it. it was just a general poll and everyone else seemed to understand the question...

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
seems some people are not happy with this poll so how about they make their own oh so fantastic poll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)