What is the first thing you'll do (1 Viewer)

David_O

HSC
N/A
Getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we?

God permitting, I will probably frown at the increased options I have.

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
be excited, tell those who have helped me through this all

Mystienu

HSC
jennylim said:
scream, faint, ring ppl up and start preparing for it.

then wake up.
yeah... i think i would be more cut if i don't get in following an interview then no interview at all.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
When I got my first round offer I was surprised, because I expected it to be nursing. Turned out to be Applied Physics, so I went and told my parents. Then I had breakfast.

sovietski

HSC
"start preparing for it."

Stupid thing to say IMO. for gods sake, why can't people just accept that they are the professionals, they know what they want. if you are not suitable for med, don't try to distort your character to try to get in, because it is dishonest, and could have huge impacts when you are dealing with people later in life.

if i get an interview, i'll be overjoyed. if i get into the interview, expose my soul, and give honest answers and get in, i will feel incredibly rewarded. If i get into the itnerview, be honest, and then get knocked back, well i will be perfectly satisfied, because i will know that i was honest, and as a result i might not be suited to a career in medicine.

deal with not getting in, its not the end of the world.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sovietski said:

Stupid thing to say IMO. for gods sake, why can't people just accept that they are the professionals, they know what they want. if you are not suitable for med, don't try to distort your character to try to get in, because it is dishonest, and could have huge impacts when you are dealing with people later in life.

if i get an interview, i'll be overjoyed. if i get into the interview, expose my soul, and give honest answers and get in, i will feel incredibly rewarded. If i get into the itnerview, be honest, and then get knocked back, well i will be perfectly satisfied, because i will know that i was honest, and as a result i might not be suited to a career in medicine.

because its ok..
if they prep for that.. if the interview doesnt get u.. the course will :)

med doesnt have a high drop out.. mostly yr 1-2 at my uni.. about 15% AWOL by yr 6 and lots of failers :)

sovietski

HSC
fair enough, i understand what you're saying, and yeah its cool and makes sense.

sorry, i always assume the worst and get aggressive. i goto school with some people who would happily twist their personality to suit the mould required to get into med.

jennylim

HSC
sovietski said:

no no, i don't mean prep as in go to dallas. i mean preparing as in learning about the university more, about the faculty and the course...having big d&ms with myself about why i want to do medicine and try and articulate it as well as i can...that sort of preparation.

i will of course be honest. anything else is ridiculous. but i will try as hard as i can to get in, obviously - i'll feel like i had cheated myself if i knew that i hadn't tried.

just had to clarify that.

jennylim

HSC
sovietski said:
fair enough, i understand what you're saying, and yeah its cool and makes sense.

sorry, i always assume the worst and get aggressive. i goto school with some people who would happily twist their personality to suit the mould required to get into med.
in turn, that too is fair enough. lol. i know i've already sold my soul and done UMAT prep courses (but seriously, s3 can definitely be practised, i don't care what ACER says) but i definitely will be myself and not try and be what they want.

i just want to make sure i'm articulate and can say something that makes sense and is meaningful.

of course, all this is assuming i do get it which is seeming more and more doubtful.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sovietski, that's a lie.

If you go in there, expose yourself, be honest and show them your soul, you won't be "fully satisfied" for being honest when they reject you. You'll feel deflated, defeated. You'll feel that it was all a waste of time, a waste of your worries and attention.

What really sets you apart though is how long it'll take you to pull yourself up and decide whether you're going to go after it again or go somewhere else. When it comes to this kind of game there are no losers, only quitters. Look at Bob J, he had to wait three years but he made it.

This isn't aimed specifically at you, but you did give me the attitude to which I could aim my comments. Don't take it personally.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
The interviewers are not professionals, and UNSW does have a criteria against which they judge your answers. Be honest, but also present yourself at your best.

The prep courses don't recommand lying by the way.

jennylim

HSC
M_I_K_E...you clearly haven't been to dallas if you haven't been told to lie, lol. he was such a BS artist.

as for my original answer, i did 2 of the 5 things...i screamed (with happiness, disbelief, etc) and rang people up. am yet to start preparing for them, and as yet i have not woken up.

sovietski

HSC
Lexico
While you raise some valid points, i still dsiagree with you. If i went in there, said what was true to me, they didnt believe i was suiable, i would feel totally OK. But i spose that is just my personality, not having to have people patting me on the back all the time. i am perfectly happy with who i am and how i present myself to the world.

David_O

HSC
N/A
sovietski said:
Lexico
While you raise some valid points, i still dsiagree with you. If i went in there, said what was true to me, they didnt believe i was suiable, i would feel totally OK. But i spose that is just my personality, not having to have people patting me on the back all the time. i am perfectly happy with who i am and how i present myself to the world.
You wouldn't say that if you really wanted med and got rejected.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
M_I_K_E said:
Look, not a single prep course will tell you to lie. Mr Gibson suggested us to withhold information, but not to make them up.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not an Icarus supporter - I know some of things Mr Gibson does and says...I'm a MedEntry boy.
Actually, my friend, he did tell us to lie. Its called strategic lying. He didnt explicitly tell us to "go and lie" but in essence thats what he was implying. Im sure the people who attented that particular lecture with me would tell you the same thing.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
Look, not a single prep course will tell you to lie. Mr Gibson suggested us to withhold information, but not to make them up.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not an Icarus supporter - I know some of things Mr Gibson does and says...I'm a MedEntry boy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)