What is the first thing you'll do (1 Viewer)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sovietski said:
Lexico
While you raise some valid points, i still dsiagree with you. If i went in there, said what was true to me, they didnt believe i was suiable, i would feel totally OK. But i spose that is just my personality, not having to have people patting me on the back all the time. i am perfectly happy with who i am and how i present myself to the world.
Lying is a big nono..
cos u can get caught.. :)

recommendation.. strategically withholding information.. dun tell them sumfing if ure not prepared to elaborate..
its the same with patients.. tell them everything.. and have a rough answer ready..
be prepared.

ure leading the interview... even tho they have set questions.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
OK, ok...it depends on what you define as lying. But no, he never told anyway to make things up - his tactic is more strategic manipulation of the interviews, not strategic lying. This is what he said to me during the second day lunch break:

"...no, be honest, tell the truth, just don't break any of the rules..."

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Who gives a shit? Go into the interview say what you want to say. No regrets that way.

jennylim

HSC
M_I_K_E said:
OK, ok...it depends on what you define as lying. But no, he never told anyway to make things up - his tactic is more strategic manipulation of the interviews, not strategic lying.
ok, i went to MedEntry, Dallas and NIE.

NIE was the best for s1 and s2. MedEntry was best for the resources and s3. Dallas sucked in all aspects.

what he told us: pretend you're from a low socio-economic background. don't mention that you have a doctor parent, go to a private school or learn a musical instrument. preferably make up a good story about why you want to do med (eg, i want to do AIDS research because my best friend died of AIDS). that kind of thing, really...IMO a load of tripe. he did not, at any stage, tell us to be honest.

but meh. perhaps not lying, maybe just not telling the truth.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yeh lets just chuck out our ethics and values, just to get into medicine.

M_I_K_E

HSC
N/A
Alright then, whatever opinion you have of Dallas, I'm fine with it. :rolleyes:
If he did tell you those things...just don't do it.

I did MedEntry, AMEPP and Dallas...I also did the NEI tests (got them from a friend). I got to say, MedEntry had the best tests/resources, AMEPP had the best lecture and interview notes, Dallas' SKE wasn't too bad.

HSC
N/A
just say what you want to say..
you can lie or be honest...one way or another the unsw people are pretty smart and they can pick it up.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
This may seem like a black and white view. But at the end of the day - you either make it through the interview, or you don't. (Call this an unfair generalisation if you must but) If you really want to do medicine, you will be crushed if you do not make the cut, regardless of prep, or otherwise, regardless of honesty, or otherwise. If you make it - you are in, and free to realise your dream, regardless of prep or otherwise.
The question is - why is everybody trying to differentiate prepared interviews from those otherwise - when this is but a means to an end. At the end of the day, there is no ethical or moral grey area, when what matters most is if you're learning medicine - or not.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Honestly, were you not able to think of a word to use in lieu of "otherwise"? Or did you just learn it today and feel some irresistable urge to slip it in as much as possible?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
petar13 said:
This may seem like a black and white view. But at the end of the day - you either make it through the interview, or you don't. (Call this an unfair generalisation if you must but) If you really want to do medicine, you will be crushed if you do not make the cut, regardless of prep, or otherwise, regardless of honesty, or otherwise. If you make it - you are in, and free to realise your dream, regardless of prep or otherwise.
The question is - why is everybody trying to differentiate prepared interviews from those otherwise - when this is but a means to an end. At the end of the day, there is no ethical or moral grey area, when what matters most is if you're learning medicine - or not.
You seem to have forgotten the purpose of the interview. Good luck to you.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I was trying to make a point. Lex, your post was reasonable, sans the sarcasm - for which I am very grateful. Sikeveo - as far as we are each concerned, isn't the purpose of the interview to facilitate our entrance into medicine? Good luck to you too. Perhaps the sarcasm should stop now.

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i went into a first round interview with a good uai and umat and got knocked back for telling the truth.

a agree 100% with sovetski, i had no idea whether i was suited for medicine and the only way to find out was by being 100% compeltely honest with my feelings towards it etc in the interview. I practically revealed to myself in the interview that i had not the passion nor the dedication to ever get through that career path.

not to mention wen they told me in the interview i would be working on elderly ppl 70% of the time, i just felt ill and it completely revealed that i was def not an appropraite candiate

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Petar, I didn't mean in sarcastically. Just meant that you go your way, and ill go mine (if i did happen to get an interview). Gordo, then it worked, you weren't suited for med. You, yourself stated that they asked what you would do if u didnt make med, and u said something stupid like law?

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
My bad, sikeveo. It's hard to determine what people are really trying to say in just two sentences. Hopefully it works out for you.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
sikeveo said:
Petar, I didn't mean in sarcastically. Just meant that you go your way, and ill go mine (if i did happen to get an interview). Gordo, then it worked, you weren't suited for med. You, yourself stated that they asked what you would do if u didnt make med, and u said something stupid like law?
space engineering :)

and then it hit me and i was lame and like, oh and wen i finish that i might transfer to medicine or something

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
gordo said:
space engineering :)

and then it hit me and i was lame and like, oh and wen i finish that i might transfer to medicine or something
"brain surgery or rocket science.."

is there anything u wont be able to do? :p

David_O

HSC
N/A
gordo said:
a agree 100% with sovetski, i had no idea whether i was suited for medicine and the only way to find out was by being 100% compeltely honest with my feelings towards it etc in the interview. I practically revealed to myself in the interview that i had not the passion nor the dedication to ever get through that career path.
You left it to the interview!?!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha rocket science isn't that hard, it's just hardcore physics. :p

Then again, I technically failed first semester physics, so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)