What is the hardest part of the Syllubus (1 Viewer)

Which part of MODULE 1 is the hardest?

• Petroleum + Ethene (Fractional Distillation + Cat' Cracking)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Polymerisation + Polymers

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Concepts of Biopolymers

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Biopolymers (a case study)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Ethanol + Fermentation

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Calculating molar heat of combustion (burning an alcohol)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Electrochemical concepts (oxidation & reduction etc..)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Electrochemistry : Galvanic Cells +emf

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Nuclear Chemistry Concepts

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Radioisotopes

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

funking_you

When you are learning about Redox Potentials (and hence calculating the total energy output of a galvanic cell), remember that

• potential difference
  • EMF
  • Eo
  • voltage

are all refering to the same concept, they all mean the same thing.

Cheers
George

p.s. for any physicist out there, all four concepts are not technically not the same thing, however as an approximation for the HSC, all are valid

Last edited by a moderator:

ishq

brown?
HSC
theChemCoach said:
Chem Students,

how many people have actually used Chem Molecular Modelling Kits, (those ball and stick models where you can make compounds)?

It is actually a mandatory task for all chemistry students.
We used them too!

I found the bio-polymer and battery case studies the most time consuming. Otherwise the Module is alright.

Equilibruim is good. Its easy once you have all the formulae clear in your head. Otherwise, its easy to get mixed up.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I found electrochemical cells and concepts probably the hardest.. then again I didn't find it hard.. just harder:p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
theChemCoach said:
Chem Students,

how many people have actually used Chem Molecular Modelling Kits, (those ball and stick models where you can make compounds)?

Yeah we did, but I just ended up using the prac described in Macquarie chem for my notes anyway.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
yep we've mucked around with the balls and sticks. haha. :p

we're only learning about the whole equilibrium business now. its sorta easy. the thing my teacher confuses me about is 'which way does the reaction go?!" it always goes in the opposite direction to which i think it goes!!! :mad:

Moonlite

HSC
I voted for Electrochemistry... i so suck at it. I can do the questions mostly, but I just don't get the whole point of it. :(

HSC
im still a little dodgy as too when you add the two electrode potentials together, i see one as negative one positive and im confused as what to do half the time im right other half im not, thats only electrochemistry i dont know, im way more stuck over on redox still a bit, i did have ethanol as a fuel but it was easy once you do a few questions

funking_you

shellybelly087 said:
yep we've mucked around with the balls and sticks. haha. :p

we're only learning about the whole equilibrium business now. its sorta easy. the thing my teacher confuses me about is 'which way does the reaction go?!" it always goes in the opposite direction to which i think it goes!!! :mad:
CLICK HERE to get The Chemistry Coach Worksheet on Equilibrium Systems

Get it and print it off, you will hopefully find it helpful!

Cheers,
George

funking_you

''''

If you are new to these chemistry forums, don't forget to post you vote in the poll given in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
when i did my hsc the hardest part was basically trying to answer those 7 marker questions where you had to "analyse" or "discuss" the effectiveness/efficiency of ethanol as an alternative fuel, i had all my knowledge correct, but could never get full marks.. but if u're looking for a way to tutor this then is uggest you go through the steps on how to write a model answer, what it needs and most importantly the conclusions you can draw from it at the end of ur discussion

04er

HSC
None of those were hard. I loved Chemistry :) Time on the other hand... grrr :vcross: always too little time...

funking_you

Look at the results form the poll, and you will notice that Petroleum + Ethene (Fractional Distillation + Cat' Cracking) and Nuclear Chemistry Concepts are regarded as 'easy' & straight forward, why is it that students are not really having trouble with these parts of the syllabus?

What do you think?

mouldy_bread

HSC
theChemCoach said:
Chem Students,

I made a poodle. :eek: and some hydrocarbons too.

funking_you

mouldy_bread said:
I made a poodle. :eek: and some hydrocarbons too.

In all my year of teaching and studying chemistry, that is the most creative thing i've heard someone make out of a molecular modelling kit.

Keep up the good work.
:eek:

mouldy_bread

HSC
well thats not the reaction I was expecting. :eek: More along the lines of 'you should be using class time to learn' etc etc. Dave thought it was a waste of time. Hes my chem teacher. We buy him ties from Vinnies because he has such a terrible taste in his ties.

devillian

HSC
i did the hsc in 2004
and i found all of the chem thing is really easy
found physics more of a struggle though ha
hate the 1st module
studpid michale jordan question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)