what makes a good speech? (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
i've got the content of my speech but i cant figure out how to start it, especially since im used to the formal way of beginning essays
has anyone got any tips on how to start a speech the most effectively
btw the speech is abt our own view on inner journey

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
smile a lot, open up with an interesting anecdote (make one up on the spot, relate it to what just happened 15 mins ago or something), speak loudly, know your script well and don't use palm cards unless you ABSOLUTELY have to.

the actual content of your speech only matters like 20% overall, if you have charm that'll overshadow the sheer depth and intelligence of your content for sure

hikari

HSC
yeah, u should start with a quote.. or maybe an analogy. then u can conclude with the analogy as well? i did that in my physical journeys speech and the teacher liked it xD good luck!

HSC
try to catch the audience's attention early, and try to memerise the first few lines.

trying to keep the audience awake will also help.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
pretty much what all the others said.. but try to be original. you have to grab the audience's attention striaght away. a poem, quote, analogy or even just a different point of view for that kind of thing is great.

in terms of presentation, varying tone is major important. you could use a clever quote/analogy but it will mean nothing unless you use your voice properly - make it interesting for your classmates to listen to!!

i dont know if you can use props, but pictures on the board is a good way to go too :)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
you lose marks straight away if you do not refer directly to the audience several times durin your speech. try not to start with "good morning ladies and gentlemen.." although something along these lines should most definately feature in your opening, it should NOT be the first thing you say. ty starting with a quote that sums up the thrust of your argument or a question directed to the audience to pique their interest in your speech --? for example, my teacher loved it when i started a speech for truth in module 3 by doing a "recipe" for truth since this was the main thrust of the text i was discussing (which was a poem concerned with the methods of advertising)

Simmie

HSC
I've learnt from experience that, yes, keeping the class awake helps. Note: I was the one who was snoring... right through my best friend's speech :cool:

king_of_boredom said:
....trying to keep the audience awake will also help.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh i started mine with a quote.
I see no reason to say "good morning class, teacher, etc etc" at all.....its a mere waste of time and i find it detracts from your speech, rather than adding anything to it. If anything it dampens and reduces the impact of your opening lines (which should catch the audiences attention).

P

pLuvia

Starting off with imagery, a rhetroical question, anyway of catching the audience's attention.

The good morning stuff, is too basic and teachers obviously don't like that
Also, the ending is very important, so like ask the rhetoric question again or something

Simmie

HSC
Yeah... Mine begins with a poem. It goes:

Since every man who lives is born to die,
And none can boast sincere felicity,
With equal mind, what happens, let us bear
Nor joy nor grieve too much for things beyond our care.
Like pilgrims to th' appointed place we tend,
The world's an inn, and death the journey's end.

Reckon it's appropriate?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
kadlil said:
Starting off with imagery, a rhetroical question, anyway of catching the audience's attention.

The good morning stuff, is too basic and teachers obviously don't like that
Also, the ending is very important, so like ask the rhetoric question again or something
yes, its a good idea to start off your speech with something different -- this doesn't mean, however, that you should ignore your audience and forget the 'niceties' of a speech - your 'goodmorning's'. if you have no acknowledgement that you have an audience than what you are giving is arguably not a speech, since you will probably have to turn in a trnascript as well. This initial acknowledgement is one of the features teachers look for in a speech.

Simmie

HSC
You can skip the 'goodmorning's if it doesn't fit in... but always remember to say thank you at the end if you do, because if you don't you can get marks taken off you.

Wackedupwacko

HSC
not really... thats the same as "good morning" ... if you can finish your speech of with a strong quote (and usually quotes are better for finishes than rhetorical questions) then it ruins the mood by saying thank you... to start a speech Id look for a few rhetorical questions, something that noone would think would be related to this task and theng coming back to the task. the idea is taht you grab your audiences attention. of course try not to make the body boring by memorising it... THATS THE WORST thing to do other than reading off somewhere... just gives a sense that this is dull = lose marks... so try and memorise points and u should do fine

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Simmie said:
You can skip the 'goodmorning's if it doesn't fit in... but always remember to say thank you at the end if you do, because if you don't you can get marks taken off you.
I've been saying "thank you for listening"'s at the end of every speech I've done, and then in the Year 11 English orals, I said it, and the teacher's were like, "no, you shouldn't thank us. We should thank YOU." Personally, I feel that I should thank the audience ... for not visibly falling asleep. :rolleyes:

Don't forget to make plenty of eye contact - always a must. It engages the audience, and I think that the more people you make eye contact with i.e. look at them and see them looking at you, the better it is - a) because people aren't asleep, and because b) you must be SOMEwhat interesting... ;)

stressing2006

HSC
Hay look i always in any of my speeches start with something that involes the audience never start with goodmorning bla bla bla, its really crap start dont use it all in ur speech. What other people have been saying about a quote is true, very true or a rhetorical question. Like in yr 11 speech i did something on Domestic Violence and i started with a poem that was really evocative. You could always start if u can with cold hard facts. Im trying to write my speech now and it is virtually impossible i have no idea.

Shamerine

HSC
N/A
First you have to write a remark that will draw the audiences attention.
Then, tell your main idea and describe it soo another person can imagine what you are saying. Last,do a conclusion telling what you wrote this for.:) Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)