what percentage people @ uni would u say join clubs? (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
Hey there, usually first year students would be SUPER enthusiastic and join all the clubs they have a slight interest in. As the months progress, you will find ur membership redundant and a waste of money. This I can say for me and my mates.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
90% of clubs at ANU are either $5 or free. There are a few that are higher, like the movie club etc, and there are others that attract an extra fee later. i.e. if you pay $5 for the volleyball club, there will be a yearly fee too.

In first year you join heaps, like 6, but then reality hits in and you really only use 1-2 clubs...

dafs2

HSC
how much does it cost to join a club?

At USYD you usually have to be an Access Card holder to join clubs. It's usually $99 (sometimes there's a discount when it first comes out during the year) which has to be renewed every year --> Access - the University of Sydney Union.

After that, individual clubs usually charge anywhere between $2-5 for membership, although some (not many though) are free.

For Usyd students, the list of clubs can be obtained here: USU Online - the University of Sydney Union Website - just click on it alphabetically, you'll find everything from Chocolate Society to 'Party for Poverty'.

ajay098

HSC
i heard there is a Mr Darcy appreciation society in usyd, is that true?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so in my first year I was like OMGZ CLUBZ and joined as many clubs and societies as possible.

Big mistake. First of all it was a massive waste of $99 for the Access card at USyd and second of all the amount of emails inviting me to events that I had absolutely no interest in shit me up the wall.

The only one I had a slight interest in was the conversation classes for Italian, but my tutor sent out emails about it anyway and we could rock up with out being a member of the society.

Definitely not getting an access card this year and not joining any clubs :)

Andi0390

HSC
I think 90% of first years join clubs, after semester one about 5 - 10% of the general university population are active members of clubs.

In my experience most clubs cost about $5 to join. Although a few, like movie club and I think the Debate Society, were more. Some also have on-going costs. Depends on the club.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
At USYD you usually have to be an Access Card holder to join clubs. It's usually $99 (sometimes there's a discount when it first comes out during the year) which has to be renewed every year --> Access - the University of Sydney Union.
thats the most retarded thing ive ever read, why should you pay $99!!!!

At ANU, the Students Association wanted to charge me $60 (for space outside) to setup a table in oweek and get new kids to sign up. We dont charge a cent for membership!!! I'm not forking out cash for this...

dafs2

HSC
thats the most retarded thing ive ever read, why should you pay $99!!!!

At ANU, the Students Association wanted to charge me $60 (for space outside) to setup a table in oweek and get new kids to sign up. We dont charge a cent for membership!!! I'm not forking out cash for this...
I've just re-checked the website, it really is $99.. " 2010 Full Members of the USU (i.e. Members who have paid the 2010 membership fee of $99)". I agree. They claim that it's useful because not only do you get to join clubs but you get discounts (i mean a few cents to a dollar or so..) off uni food etc... right... i hardly buy food at uni seeing as it's a rip-off anyway, so i thought it was a waste of money. Never bought an access card, never will. The fact that the $99 payment only lasts ONE YEAR is even more retarded. It should at least be a one-off thing.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think 90% of first years join clubs, after semester one about 5 - 10% of the general university population are active members of clubs.

In my experience most clubs cost about $5 to join. Although a few, like movie club and I think the Debate Society, were more. Some also have on-going costs. Depends on the club.
This.

Mickincanberra

HSC
N/A
Clubs are one of the things I'm looking forward to at uni. I'm doing int studies, majoring in Japanese. So that's the Japan club locked in.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I've just re-checked the website, it really is $99.. " 2010 Full Members of the USU (i.e. Members who have paid the 2010 membership fee of $99)". I agree. They claim that it's useful because not only do you get to join clubs but you get discounts (i mean a few cents to a dollar or so..) off uni food etc... right... i hardly buy food at uni seeing as it's a rip-off anyway, so i thought it was a waste of money. Never bought an access card, never will. The fact that the $99 payment only lasts ONE YEAR is even more retarded. It should at least be a one-off thing.
lol, thats so retarded. Its a similar thing at anu, $150 membership gets you 10c off @ the stores & a little coupon book :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)