What raw marks in extension 2 generally correspond to state ranks? (1 Viewer)

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Yeah that seems accurate, but the only year I've heard of it happening was 1993. 2017 was an easier year IIRC, so all the top 10 getting 100 raw seems sort of plausible I guess.
Not sure about all the top 10 getting 100 raw, but I'm pretty sure at least one or two would get it.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Not sure about all the top 10 getting 100 raw, but I'm pretty sure at least one or two would get it.
Yeah I guess. I heard about the top last year only getting like 98 raw, which is why I thought the comment about 99 raw not being a state rank at all was a little off

sharky564

HSC
I'm quite sure since I know I got 99 raw in 4 unit and 98 raw in 3 unit that year, and that paper I found was significantly easier that year. :(

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
I'm quite sure since I know I got 99 raw in 4 unit and 98 raw in 3 unit that year, and that paper I found was significantly easier that year. :(
That's because 2017 was literally THE easiest year. There was literally no challenging question

I reckon most state ranks could easily 100 raw 2017

TheOnePheeph

HSC
That's because 2017 was literally THE easiest year. There was literally no challenging question

I reckon most state ranks could easily 100 raw 2017
Yeah I still think the easiest hsc year for extension 2 was 2006, but that might be because 2017 was literally one of the first past papers I ever tried doing for X2, and I wasn't as confident with circular motion yet, so that question did throw me a bit, but I see it is pretty generic now. Everything else was pretty easy though, especially 16 b), what were they thinking putting that as one of the last questions? Definitely quite a step down from almost every other extension 2 paper. Extension 1 and advanced 2017 were absolute jokes though. I swear the advanced one had no band 6 worthy questions, and the only even slightly difficult one in the extension 1 was question 10.

Btw DrEuler, I see on your profile that you got a state rank in ext 2, which year was that in if you don't mind saying?

Last edited:

DrEuler

HSC
N/A
Yeah I still think the easiest hsc year for extension 2 was 2006, but that might be because 2017 was literally one of the first past papers I ever tried doing for X2, and I wasn't as confident with circular motion yet, so that question did throw me a bit, but I see it is pretty generic now. Everything else was pretty easy though, especially 16 b), what were they thinking putting that as one of the last questions? Definitely quite a step down from almost every other extension 2 paper. Extension 1 and advanced 2017 were absolute jokes though. I swear the advanced one had no band 6 worthy questions, and the only even slightly difficult one in the extension 1 was question 10.

Btw DrEuler, I see on your profile that you got a state rank in ext 2, which year was that in if you don't mind saying?
Yep when I looked at 16(b) I was like is this a joke? That question is fit to be in question 12. You compare the 2017 question 16 to the 2018 one and you can see how much harder the 2018 one is.

Yeah 2006 is really easy as well. 2014 was perhaps even easier. I mean the last question, the integral could be done in two steps.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Yep when I looked at 16(b) I was like is this a joke? That question is fit to be in question 12. You compare the 2017 question 16 to the 2018 one and you can see how much harder the 2018 one is.

Yeah 2006 is really easy as well. 2014 was perhaps even easier. I mean the last question, the integral could be done in two steps.
The last question of 2014 is quite easy, I agree, but I found part ii of the circle geo problem to be a bit tricky, but once you see the angle of revolution it is quite simple. Also question 10 is a joke compared to that of other papers. Still, I would put it as harder than 2017 and 2006 overall. 2009 was also relatively easy imo, but the last question was a bit tough.

Nice, 2016 was quite hard iirc. Do you know what raw mark you got?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
FYI person who topped the state in the 2006 paper did not get full marks

TheOnePheeph

HSC
I believe it was 118/120
Damn only losing two marks is quite impressive, even in an easier paper. I always lose a few to ridiculously stupid mistakes - in my trial I did stuff like drawing a force diagram wrong and forgetting to square root for the modulus of a complex number, which stopped me from getting 100.

If the thing about all the top 10 in 2017 getting 100 raw is true, that is a huge jump from 2006, especially since the 2006 paper is easier than or as easy as 2017 imo.

sharky564

HSC
The only mark I lost in 2017 was the very last q because I made an arithmetic error ffs :(

TheOnePheeph

HSC
The only mark I lost in 2017 was the very last q because I made an arithmetic error ffs :(
Damn that sucks. Hopefully this year the top 10 don't all get 100 again, because I guarantee I will make at least 1 stupid arithmetic error or some other dumb mistake. Btw I noticed that you did extension 2 in 2017 but are doing your other subjects this year, did you accelerate extension 2 in year 10? If so it is extremely impressive that you were able to get everything in the paper our, even if that one dumb mistake cost you a state rank:)

sharky564

HSC
Damn that sucks. Hopefully this year the top 10 don't all get 100 again, because I guarantee I will make at least 1 stupid arithmetic error or some other dumb mistake. Btw I noticed that you did extension 2 in 2017 but are doing your other subjects this year, did you accelerate extension 2 in year 10? If so it is extremely impressive that you were able to get everything in the paper our, even if that one dumb mistake cost you a state rank:)
Yeah, my school let me accelerate 4 unit maths because I was in the Australian competition maths stream.

TheOnePheeph

HSC
Yeah, my school let me accelerate 4 unit maths because I was in the Australian competition maths stream.
Nice, my school barely let me accelerate advanced in year 11 lol. My maths teacher had to argue with the principal for ages. We don't have an Australian maths competition stream or anything though, and I hate doing those comps anyway because I suck at them lol. Still super impressive result for X2, have you moved on to uni stuff now?

sharky564

HSC
Nice, my school barely let me accelerate advanced in year 11 lol. My maths teacher had to argue with the principal for ages. We don't have an Australian maths competition stream or anything though, and I hate doing those comps anyway because I suck at them lol. Still super impressive result for X2, have you moved on to uni stuff now?
Well, I only recently started looking at uni maths because I'm too old for the comps now. Nothing official, but I've done some of my own research work. I haven't done much tho becos rest of HSC cancer (especially with new science and english courses)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)