what should i do? (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
hi,
i was wondering what wld be a good course to do in the future...coz i still have no idea yet...
i was thinking abt doing pharmacy...but then i just read all this stuff abt it being boring and needing a great and natural interest in chem which i dun have unless i force myself...but i read this special in mycareer on smh abt pharmacy and it says that u can travel overseas as a company representative to convince ppl to buy ur companies products or seomthing liek that and i really wanna travel..
and then i thought that if i dun wanna do pharm then ill just do paediatrics but wld u need to do med for that first? and how long wld that take?
and i was gonna continue my study of japanese into uni (wld that be a bachelor in what course?)
but pharm and med both require science and im not a sciencey person so i dunno...im more of a languages and maths person but i wanna earn money too!! and pharm has a more stable job prospect kinda thing...but it seems really boring...i want a fun and interesting job
SO im not really quite sure what direction i shld head into...
i was wondering if anyone can reccomend a course to suit me...?
thank u v. much :D

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
if you're doing pharmacy, you need to do the STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test). idk if it's too late to apply for the STAT though. Go check asap.

edit: oh you graduate in 2008, plenty of time for you to check :D

totallybord

HSC
for yr12, im doing 4 maths, 3 eng, 3 japanese, 2 chemistry
btw, my careers advisor is unhelpful

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if you really wanna travel then do international studies or something, and seeing as youre doing ext jap, then japan seems the perfect option.
if you want to continue jap then do arts....pretty flexible.
and seeing as maths is an enjoyable subject for you, ever considered commerce?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Whoa I just realised it's so hard to read the OP when it's all jumbled up and in small caps etc.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Whoa I just realised it's so hard to read the OP when it's all jumbled up and in small caps etc.
yes..... anywayz.....

lala2

Banned
HSC
Looks like International Studies and something in the Commercy field would be something for you. Or you can do Liberal Studies--it requires a compulsory language study, some sciency units (so in this case, maths would probably count), and probably some other more arty sort of units. I would recommend Liberal Studies (International) if you're confident of getting the UAI for it (recently, has been 98, close to 99)--you get to do a semester or two overseas, I believe.

If you're still interested in pharmacy, or a little more info about med, you can PM me (I'm second year pharmacy) , however, it doesn't seem like it really is for you.

totallybord

HSC
thanks for the suggestions!!
...but the thing is even though maths is one of my strongest subj but i dun wanna pursue it in the future...otherwise i wld have chosen physics instead of chem...and im not like those freaky ppl who solve olympiad maths questions in secs...so i wldnt wanna do it for the future
and i studied commerce for y9 and 10 but it bored the crap out of me...so a career in that field wld be sending myself to hell very quikly...
and whats liberal studies?what do u study? is it like politics? coz im not really into that kinda stuff...
i was considering doing architecture but then...it sounds like u just draw boxes all day or soemthing...but cld someone tell me what it actually invovles?
coz i kinda wanna do an arty/design sorta subject coz it seems more fun but then u dun really earn much do u?
and whats the difference btwn an arts degree and international studies?
hmmm...well if i cant decide before next yr then ill prob just go become a chef:D

HSC
well it seems youre most interested in languages and humanities type careers?

how about....interpreting, translating, teaching, uhm yeah that's all that comes to mind at the moment. :eek:

i know someone who is doing a double degree with arts in a language (french/spanish, cant remember) and a teaching thing as well. so he can teach something overseas. perhaps you could look into that?

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
geez kids are worrying much earlier these days...

yeh do liberal studies. its literally for people who have no idea what they want to do but still wanna turn up to uni. you could do arts, but thats just means you gave up on finding any purpose to your future.

HSC
yeah i have a friend who does liberal studies and she does i think maths, a science (chem), an arts (linguistics/psych, one of them) and a language (indo i think?). weirdest subject combination i think.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Architecture--you make models, plans, and give a lot of presentations. I have two friends doing Architecture (oh, at USYD I should add)--that's all they ever do. Every semester, they are assigned a major project to complete, e.g. I think this semester theirs is social housing, so obviously you want to make something cheap and hopefully, comfortable. Over the course of the semester, they have little assessment tasks consisting of developing plans, prototypes, models, and presentations and speeches to give, which all help in the development process towards that final semester project. So one week might be about layout and structure, while the next week is about amenities, etc.

And, another two friends are doing International Studies/Law (also at USYD), and in their International Studies degree (which isn't a ripoff of a B.A. I can assure you, even though it will appear on their transcript as a B.A. (International Studies)), they really focus on the world. lol, I guess that's obvious, but it's like international geography, (some politics, I think, but don't quote me on that) economics, cultural studies, and some language studies and an exchange opportunity, I believe. I actually turned up to one of their lectures as a joke, and it was quite interesting--it was about how socio, eco, legal, and political constraints all influence the economy and free markets, trading, etc. But it's a bit hard to describe--my two friends were also *kinda* confused about what they're actually studying!

totallybord

HSC
hey, havent been on for couple of days but thanks again
ummm i was gonna do translating and interpreting as a side job not as a career though...maybe i will pursue it in the future bt atm i dun think so...i wanna do the subtitling for movies at sbs though:D
oh for the translating and interpreting jobs, do u still do international studies? coz i think before i researchd it up and theres a holiday course kind of thing...i cant remember which uni but its either usyd or unsw..
and abt teaching...i was thinking if ever i go to japan, i wld teach english to kids to earn some cash but thats all i wanna do with teaching...
what exactly IS liberal studies? it seems so random with the sub choices of watatanks frend...
architecture sounds fun though but the whole presentation thing is just for uni rite? not necessarily for the real industry?
do paediatrics needa do med before going on to do paediatrics? coz i dun wanna be a gp but i dun mind being a paediatrician coz i like children...but im not a paedophile...but ppl say that u needa be extremely careful when u handle them sooo theres that risk too..
sorry for another long post and thanks for continually replying:D

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Liberal Studies, at Sydney at least: a major from the Faculty of Arts, a major from the Faculty of Science, at least two years of a language, and a junior unit in each of Maths and English. It's a pretty broad degree. (Hence 'liberal studies'.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)