what should i get? (1 Viewer)

Aceitachi

HSC
i was wondering how much do i have to get for each of my subjects to get an atar or 95+? i am doing the subjects listed below:

Standard English
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Design And Technology
Studies Of Religion u1

~i might be doing extension his in yr 12

Dylanamali

HSC
Standard English: 88+
Legal Studies: 85+
Business Studies: 90+
Modern History: 90+
Design And Technology: 90+
Studies Of Religion u1: 90+

Beef-it-up

HSC
hey guys i am doing
General mathematics currently equal 1st out of 40
biology 5th out of 15
Physics 4th out of 14
standard english 4th out of 48
industrial technology timber 1st out of 15

i started studying 2 weeks ago about 4hrs a day i wanted to know my outcomes and if i have a chance of earning an atar of 85 i am going to hire a tutor to get extra help in physics because i am behind the teacher is not that great hes allway absent. as i look at the past papers i stress because i have not really done any of it do any of you have any study techniques and tell me what i can do to improve my marks. ohh yea and answer all my questions it would help thank you

Dylanamali

HSC
hey guys i am doing
General mathematics currently equal 1st out of 40
biology 5th out of 15
Physics 4th out of 14
standard english 4th out of 48
industrial technology timber 1st out of 15

i started studying 2 weeks ago about 4hrs a day i wanted to know my outcomes and if i have a chance of earning an atar of 85 i am going to hire a tutor to get extra help in physics because i am behind the teacher is not that great hes allway absent. as i look at the past papers i stress because i have not really done any of it do any of you have any study techniques and tell me what i can do to improve my marks. ohh yea and answer all my questions it would help thank you
your doing fine, your ranks are good.

Beef-it-up

HSC
sweet so if i would achieve high in my internals which is my course mark 80-100 and get ok in my hsc mark around 60-70 and still come in the top 5 in the tests what will happen. thanks bro! =)

Dylanamali

HSC
sweet so if i would achieve high in my internals which is my course mark 80-100 and get ok in my hsc mark around 60-70 and still come in the top 5 in the tests what will happen. thanks bro! =)
read all the articles on the duxcollege website..
The only thing that matters is what your rank is at school - the actual marks you receive in school don't matter. ONLY YOUR POSITION/RANK.

So in saying that, aim for top3 in all your subjects.
Then when it comes to the actual HSC exams, aim to smash them and get really good results - e.g. 80+ and then you'll put yourself in a good position to receive 85+ ATAR, if not 90+ ATAR.

Beef-it-up

HSC
thanks for that p.s when you achieved an atar of 98.75 what study technique did you use?

Dylanamali

HSC
My general guide: (this is an example to how i studied for biology - but I practically used the same methodology across all my subs)

1. It all starts at school.. which means you MUST solidify a solid internal ranking that will be submitted to BOS at the end of the year. In saying that, it doesn't matter what kind of marks you are getting, as long as they are at the upper echelon of your biology cohort - this is especially true for schools with poor ranks. In my case, I went to a school ranked ~280 and it was extremely rare for anyone to get band 6's in courses.. so for me if I did not receive an internal ranking of 1st, I knew that my biology goal of around 94/95 would not be achievable.
So it is essential to work hard throughout the entire year, and not go into it with the mentality that you can fix it all up in the end/HSC exams.

2. BOS notes.. In terms of notes/textbooks/content, I was extremely LAZY. With that said, I always came into the belief during the HSC that it was about how smart you studied rather than how hard you studied. I never had an exercise book during class, I would bring my textbook about once a week, and I would chat to my mate throughout the entire class and would only every now and then write what was being placed on the board on a scrunched up piece of scrap paper that I would usually never look at again.
By looking at my attitude in school, it looks preety bad haha.. but the truth is, that I would have my notes set up that I had downloaded from BOS and edited myself using my textbook on-hand, and even though I wouldn't study them until about 2 weeks prior to the exam.. when I did study them, I studied them very effectively and in a very timely manner and that worked for me very well. I am indeed a crammer .
But in saying all this.. find what works for you.. maybe it's writing your own notes, maybe its vocalising everything, maybe its pretending to teach a class.. whatever works for you is the best thing. For me it was vocalising my notes and teaching people. For you it could be something else, whatever it is, find out what it is and utilise it to its maximum potential.

3. Studyying... I studied about 2 weeks prior to every exam during my HSC year.. I was definitely a major crammer but it worked for me, because I would cram to a point where I knew my notes like the back of my hand and could recall almost everything in there. But in terms of how to study.. specifically for biology, I would recommend hitting your notes HARD. And what I mean by that is, to make sure you completely understand all the content and all the concepts. Biology is a more content driven course in comparison to your Chemistry.. for chemistry I'd recommend hitting past papers ASAP, but for biology which tests more content rather than conceptual ideas and calculations, I'd definitely recommend knowing all your content before hitting past papers. If I was to give a general guideline, I'd say in a 2 week period of study, I'd do 10 days of pure content driven study.. followed by 4 days of past papers. The main use of past papers in Biology is just to understand what kind of questions are usually asked and how to structure your answers.. whenever you do past papers, it is ESSENTIAL to understand where each of your individual marks comes from, and to note them down for each dot point.. by doing that, when you come into the exam you can break down a question immediately into the points that will get you each mark.

In saying that, I'd definitely recommend doing Multiple choice questions ASAP and also doing past paper questions after you finish each module at school. I'd also recommend accelerating through the course if you can, either by yourself or with the aid of a tutor. It's not neccessary.. and it's not something that I did, but if I could go back in time, I would have loved to have down it, as it would have just freed up more time to study on other subjects.

Beef-it-up

HSC
i come from a school which is ranked 300+ last time i checked. i was like that in yr 11 but, changes started to occur when i started yr 12 last year. i really teach myself sometimes because the physics teacher is absent. however their is one major thing on my mind and its been bugging me since i started the last time i sat for a mid course or yearly exam was in year 11 and i really dont do good in them. i done physics last year and came 9/14 in the exam i got 31/100 i blew up then i got my biology test 51/80 i was going to kill myself then industrial technology 26/40 and maths was really bad 51/100 english i think it was out of 40 i acheived 27/40. when it came to assesments i would demolish them. i have not sat for a big test since year 11, i done assessment tasks which i am currently killing right now.
the marks last term the start of year 12
English standard assessment task 1 89%
physics assessment task 1 92%
timber assessment task 1 79%
biology assessment task 1 87%
general maths assessment task 1 89%
compare them to year 11 massive improvement however i have not sat for a test since then

Dylanamali

HSC
work on exam technique.. do practice exams, get them marked/checked by a teacher/tutor, do them in a controlled environment - timed, quiet etc.

Beef-it-up

HSC
dot points are extremely affective my biology teacher tells me to answer in dot points to cover the whole question. she is the only teacher that actually teaches in an effective way

Aceitachi

HSC
yeah, thanks for the info, i wouldve gone to atar calculator if i knew, use common sense before you type.

Bobbo1

HSC
Aim for 90s in all your subjects, never limit your ATAR goal. Imo everyone should AIM for 99.95 and it's just a matter of how close you get to it at the end of the day. Also try playing around with an ATAR calculator online

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)