• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What Subject to Drop? (1 Viewer)

joseph123

HSC
hey guys,

Well it looks like we're already half way through the HSC prelim course so I'm begining to think about my subject options for year 12. I currently am doing 13 units (3U English, 2U maths, legal studies, business studies, economics, modern history). For year 12 i need to drop one subject to take up 4U english and possibly (but unlikely) 3U history.

Initially i thought about dropping maths, since i despise it to the point its unhealthy. But then, i thought i might need it to get into my possible uni courses like commerce/law; or at least to keep my options open if i don't get the UAI i want. So now im looking towards dumping business or modern history.

what do you think i should dump?
is maths really that important to enter certain university courses?
what do u plan on dumping for year 12?
and if you do 3U history... is it any good?

K

khorne

Drop maths...If you don't like it, it's not really required for any subjects (apart from science/math, but then it;s 3U +). If you need math for commerce, just a bridging course at Uni.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
dump business so you can try history extension. 3U history is a good choice. Don't dump maths - not if you want to do business/commerce.

I'm planning to dump one of my subjects for 4 unit maths.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
I would not recommend doing both 3U history and 4U english because both require a major work to be submitted. U will find that of the people who do both 3U history and 4U english, most will drop one because they haven't got enough time to dedicate to two works.

History extension is good if u want 2 know about what history actually is. It is a lot of reading of sources, and the essays r not based on facts (like in a modern history) but they look at how history influences ways of thinking. I enjoyed history extension, but in the long run, it was a lot of research work and it didn't end up counting towards my UAI.

Keep maths of u want 2 do Commerce/Law. If u want 2 try 3U history, it is a requirement 2 keep Modern, so on that basis, drop business studies

fully223

HSC
How bout you just drop the subject you don't enjoy or are not the best at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)