What to expect on the 1st day of Uni... (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
if it happens that often then you need to start setting up some good one-liners to drop on everyone when they say it. Rebel level 11/10
Well, I'm only doing one more Level 2 English course and the tutor there doesn't do icebreakers. And I really hope there's no icebreakers in Level 3 English... <_<

I just hope that they don't have icebreakers. There's none in maths, or economics or any Commerce subject I can recall I've done... just these social Arts-y ones!

But I suppose, I could figure some out... but I wouldn't know what to say anyway as I'm usually panicking or stunned by the announcement of an icebreaker :(

Salehhh

HSC
Well, I'm only doing one more Level 2 English course and the tutor there doesn't do icebreakers. And I really hope there's no icebreakers in Level 3 English... <_<

I just hope that they don't have icebreakers. There's none in maths, or economics or any Commerce subject I can recall I've done... just these social Arts-y ones!

But I suppose, I could figure some out... but I wouldn't know what to say anyway as I'm usually panicking or stunned by the announcement of an icebreaker :(
wtf's an icebreaker?? lol

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
is there anyone who actually enjoys these stupid icebreakers? i just want to learn, friends can be made outside of the classroom.
no one enjoys them, just have fun with them

"Where do you want to visit?"

One place i never want to go is china

instantly 85% of the class hates you if you're at unsw, was pretty awesome

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
You'll find your first lecture of everything interesting and the lecture theatres full. 3 weeks later you'll figure out whether you actually like the subject or not and people will stop turning up to lectures.

And fricken ice breaker activities in your tutes/seminars to get you all friendly and shit to prep you for group assignments.

Elizzy19

HSC
Uni Grad
I had mine today. All I had was one lecture and with the exception of the theatre being packed and our lecturer talking about our online thing for about five minutes I think it was the same as what any other lecture is going to be.

The only ice breaker-ish thing we did was ask the person next to us a question about the topic we were doing and seeing as most people (me included) seemed to already know the person next to them you could hardly call it and ice breaker. I think we pretty much got all that stuff out of the way during o-week (even then we didn't really do any). Haven't had a tute yet though so I can't really comment on that.

It wasn't all that daunting for me but than again I already knew a few people in my course and go to ACU which is tiny compared to universities like Sydney and UNSW.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh I really hate icebreakers. Its just awkward and weird and sounds so forced.
My mentor commented that I have a retarded handshake when meeting people so that was =="
Tips on handshakes anyone?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My mentor commented that I have a retarded handshake when meeting people so that was =="
Strong and firm.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Same strength as the other person. Nice tall posture, look at the hand, aim, direct then when the shake is locked in you lock your eyes on the other person's face.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Same strength as the other person. Nice tall posture, look at the hand, aim, direct then when the shake is locked in you lock your eyes on the other person's face.
Oooh that is great advice, thanks!
Will work on it :)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Oooh that is great advice, thanks!
Will work on it :)
I did this in a program once and it was very useful.

Though there was one time where I got into an awkward handshake because I looked at the person's face too long and I basically joined a previous handshake to make it a 3 person handshake lol.

So yeah it takes a bit of practice. By why not practice at O-week where you can learn at no cost!!!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Plus when I see my friends, it's always a hearty handshake greeting anyway - must be a leftover from my Commerce days.

Except if they're female friends, that is.

Plenty of practice there.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Plus when I see my friends, it's always a hearty handshake greeting anyway - must be a leftover from my Commerce days.

Handshakes with girls are a little awkward though. I would rather give a hug, but they have to initiate it first or else I will just give a handshake.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad

This is especially true. Coming out of high school with predominately female friends, I never got the hang of the whole hand shake thing. And its not just that, high school is heaps more laid back and casual, usually a small wave is sufficient.
Can guarantee there will defs be heaps more awkward handshakes to come during o week! haha

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
lol 42 ppl in my course

easy to make friends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)