What to wear for a scholarship interview (1 Viewer)

mirachael

HSC
For guys, would it be best to wear a suit or just a shirt and tie?

Also, does anyone have some tips for interviews for interviews in general?

trungduong12

HSC
Just curious
Wat interview is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emilios

HSC
probs co-op or med

suits usually not required but preferred

anyway i'd also be curious as to know what q's they ask for co-op. i know it's focused around leadership and co-curricular activities but specifics would be nice. obliviousninja, any insight?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
probs co-op or med

suits usually not required but preferred

anyway i'd also be curious as to know what q's they ask for co-op. i know it's focused around leadership and co-curricular activities but specifics would be nice. obliviousninja, any insight?
Just the usual behavioural questions as you would get with any sort of interview (tell us about a time...leadership...time management...conflict management...etc...etc), and of course a few probing questions on your interests in the co-op program and the field you are applying for, they might ask a curve ball management consulting interview question, eg. how many cars go across the harbour bridge each day (just to get an idea of how you react and respond regardless if you have a correct answer or not).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Also try and engage with the sponsor interviewing you, keep the conservation flowing and display your keen interest

omni16

HSC
Just the usual behavioural questions as you would get with any sort of interview (tell us about a time...leadership...time management...conflict management...etc...etc), and of course a few probing questions on your interests in the co-op program and the field you are applying for, they might ask a curve ball management consulting interview question, eg. how many cars go across the harbour bridge each day (just to get an idea of how you react and respond regardless if you have a correct answer or not).
Would you actually be asked to give an approximate answer? I would have thought they would want more of a thought process and way to reach an answer?

mirachael

HSC
Thanks guys. I have a NICTA (UNSW) scholarship interview. Anyone else got one?

emilios

HSC
Would you actually be asked to give an approximate answer? I would have thought they would want more of a thought process and way to reach an answer?
They definitely want an approximated number/figure, but not just a wild guess. Usually you come up with some sort of 'formula' and make a lot of assumptions. E.g. for "how long would it take to move a mountain 1 kilometre" you'd estimate the height and volume of the mountain, the volume capacity of the truck and the speed your truck would go at

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
They definitely want an approximated number/figure, but not just a wild guess. Usually you come up with some sort of 'formula' and make a lot of assumptions. E.g. for "how long would it take to move a mountain 1 kilometre" you'd estimate the height and volume of the mountain, the volume capacity of the truck and the speed your truck would go at
Usually for these questions its better to think outside the box, than rather go for the mathematical approach, because everyone will do that, literally everyone.

For example, 'how many balloons would fit in this room?'

Your answer instead could be, 'well are they inflated or not? assuming that it is, my response to the question would be zero as a hot air balloon and its expanded size would exceed the dimensions of this room'.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks guys. I have a NICTA (UNSW) scholarship interview. Anyone else got one?
NICTA is pretty rare actually. Good luck with it fellow EE ;)

Just wear dress pants, dress shoes and a good long sleeved shirt. That's all you should require. Tie is optional but if you don't have a suit I guess there isn't much need for a tie. And wearing a suit is a bit overboard, especially in summer.

emilios

HSC
Usually for these questions its better to think outside the box, than rather go for the mathematical approach, because everyone will do that, literally everyone.

For example, 'how many balloons would fit in this room?'

Your answer instead could be, 'well are they inflated or not? assuming that it is, my response to the question would be zero as a hot air balloon and its expanded size would exceed the dimensions of this room'.
i've read the complete opposite from a number of sources, e.g. http://www.caseinterview.com/estimation-question-tips

i guess the point of these questions is to gauge your ability to answer similar styled questions that clients may ask, expecting insight into the initial scaling or sizing of potential projects. its about giving a satisfying solution after thoughtful questioning and analysis. tbh i don't think your answer would fly (heh, no pun intended) too well in an MC interview, it's a little more on the 'look at how creative i am' side and less on the practical side

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Not necessarily. Ask anyone and they will generally be able to perform the core basics of the task. But to develop workarounds and creative solutions, that is a skill which is harder to find in candidates. And it's through this that actual business value is derived.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
dame u went for a scholarship interview? why didnt u tell meeee :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)