What topics in preliminary year 11 Maths Ext 1 (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I was just looking at our schools course book for year 11 and 12. It said that Permutations and combinations and Parametric representation is in the year 11 syllabus for ext 1! is this true, if so, how come its not in the Cambridge Year 11 Ext 1 textbook? (correct me if im wrong)

Thanks

zingerburger

HSC
Technically, it is in the Year 11 course, but the two years sort of mesh together. I didn't have Cambridge so I wouldn't know.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
They are in the Year 12 Extension books. The year 11 Extension book that you have usually has the entire 2U course.

St. Eve

HSC
independantz said:
I know this is old, but parametrics is in the year 11 book, i believe.
Yeah, the Parabola (Locus) chapter covers Parametrics.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Finished sequences and series, geo calculus, now doing integration.

ameher

HSC
Lol integration i'll be starting that some time next week.

ssglain

HSC
The maths syllabus, unlike those for other subjects, isn't clear-cut between Yr 11 and Yr 12 topics. It's actually titled the "Mathematics 2U/3U Year 11-12 Syllabus". You can think of the topics/modules in other subjects as distinct blocks, but in maths you should think of them as layers (and with lots of overlaps, mind you).

Since you mentioned Cambridge Year 11 3U, you've probably noticed that the last 3-4 chapters (from memory: integration, exp/log funtions, trig functions) are not taught in Year 11 in most schools. I think Pender intended for them to be taught in Term 4 of Year 11, by which time we already call ourselves Year 12. So textbooks are only to be used as guides - they are by no means definitive representations of the syllabus. If you've looked at more than one textbook, you'll have seen that each author strucutures the topics in his/her book in a different order. Schools can also choose to teach them in different orders.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
gm.haider3000 said:
can some 1 tell me what topic are you guys on in ext 1 and 2unit please
Ext. 1: Just finished Binomial Theorem, we accidentally did it last year (Year 11) so we just had to go over some stuff that was a bit fuzzy and introduce Binomial Probabilities. Right now, we're just going over some harder 2 Unit work and revising for the Mid-Course exams.

Ext 2: Finished Polynomials (quite easy!) and are now doing Conics. I don't mind Conics but it's just a bit difficult to get your head around what's going on.

Hope that helps. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)