• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What units to choose for year 11? (3 Viewers)

mecramarathon

HSC
hey you should choose subjects that reflect the career you yearn in the end - a 99.95 ATAR doesn't bring all the hapiness in the world (temporarily speaking)

bubbrubb

HSC
First off.

1. Forget about choosing subjects that you think relate to what you want to do unless you are SURE of what you want to do. i.e. you need chemistry to do some things like medicine in uni. Other than prerequisites (not reccommended, i mean ASSUMED) forget about doing them. Only do what will help your atar.

Legal is shit scaling while eco is good... so if you are stuck between the two - choose eco.

Maths 3 is a must.

English Adv is a must - if you do anything less then you are being lazy and you will be given an end result indicative of such. (english standard is shit)

If you know that you hate science then don't do it. I however hated science in year 10 (was my only band 5) and i chose phys and chem in yr 11 neway because my parents forced me to. I hated it until yr 12 midway at which point i started to love chem. Why? year 10 science is too broad and thats why i hated it. Year 11 chem is too broad as well and thats why i hated it. Year 12 starts getting more focused. So you might not actually hate science... be careful... im grateful that i was forced to keep sciences in yr 11. Also they have awesome scaling and are the easiest subjects to revise for as opposed to those essay subjects. REMEMBER THAT.

neways those other subjects i have no idea about.

p.s. i know people say do what you WANT to do and not what you think has best scaling and that is completely right ( i hated modern in yr 12 despite loving it in yr 11 and it ended up being my worst subject) but until ur in yr 12 you don't know what you like and don't like (well in my case anyway). So waht i learnt was that you should lean towards better scaling subjects unless you are CERTAIN of what you like and don't like.

:)

ilikebeeef

HSC
Another thing that i wanted to talk about is english. Standard and advanced scale the same, so should i do standard as it won't give a huge workload and allows me to work harder on other subjects
You should do Advanced if you're aiming for that high an ATAR. It is easier to gain Band 6 from it than Standard.

How come?
Because English Advanced aligns better. If you do Advanced, they tend to assume that you are better than a Standard English student and are more likely to rank you higher among the whole English cohort. This is why my school makes EVERYONE do Advanced.

First off.

1. Forget about choosing subjects that you think relate to what you want to do unless you are SURE of what you want to do. i.e. you need chemistry to do some things like medicine in uni. Other than prerequisites (not reccommended, i mean ASSUMED) forget about doing them. Only do what will help your atar.

Legal is shit scaling while eco is good... so if you are stuck between the two - choose eco.

Maths 3 is a must.

English Adv is a must - if you do anything less then you are being lazy and you will be given an end result indicative of such. (english standard is shit)

If you know that you hate science then don't do it. I however hated science in year 10 (was my only band 5) and i chose phys and chem in yr 11 neway because my parents forced me to. I hated it until yr 12 midway at which point i started to love chem. Why? year 10 science is too broad and thats why i hated it. Year 11 chem is too broad as well and thats why i hated it. Year 12 starts getting more focused. So you might not actually hate science... be careful... im grateful that i was forced to keep sciences in yr 11. Also they have awesome scaling and are the easiest subjects to revise for as opposed to those essay subjects. REMEMBER THAT.

p.s. i know people say do what you WANT to do and not what you think has best scaling and that is completely right ( i hated modern in yr 12 despite loving it in yr 11 and it ended up being my worst subject) but until ur in yr 12 you don't know what you like and don't like (well in my case anyway). So waht i learnt was that you should lean towards better scaling subjects unless you are CERTAIN of what you like and don't like.

+1. Absolutely.

Schoey93

HSC
First off.

Maths 3 is a must.

Legal does not have bad scaling. It has relatively good scaling when compared to several other subjects - Hospitality, Food Technology, General Mathematics, Senior Science, etc.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Legal does not have bad scaling. It has relatively good scaling when compared to several other subjects - Hospitality, Food Technology, General Mathematics, Senior Science, etc.
Which have mediocre scaling.

shamimi95

HSC
Thanks everyone for posting so far... i've taken in a lot from everyones posts especially bubbrubb (thanks a lot). I'll come back to this thread when I get my subject selection forms.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I can answer 3.

Now, I am going to assume you are a P50 student - state average in all your subjects. This will give you a projected ATAR using UAC tables.

Structure 1:

EngAdv 32.1 64.2/100 (2)
Math 31.4 62.8/100 (2)
MathX1 42.1 42.1/50 (1)
Econ 32.5 65.0/100 (2)
Legal 26.2 52.4/100
Account 28.6 57.2/100 (2)
SOR1 27.7 27.7/50 (1)
Agg: 319/500
ATAR: 80.80

Structure 2:

EngAdv 32.1 64.2/100 (2)
Math 31.4 62.8/100 (2)
Econ 32.5 65.0/100 (2)
BusStud 23.8 47.6/100
Legal 26.2 52.4/100 (2)
Account 28.6 57.6/100 (2)
Agg: 302/500
ATAR: 77.10

Now I'm not sure if Accounting is 2 units or not, if not, revise it down a bit. Remember, the ATAR's I give is for P50 in all subjects, so a baseline ATAR.

shamimi95

HSC
Wow thats so cool shadowdude, but can u do that for me in these subjects

AdvEnglish
4u Maths
Physics
Accounting
Economics

Could you do it in a more reasonable percentile such as P90

And accounting is a 2 unit course otherwise i cant do prelims XP

Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Obviously you don't know how good you are so I did the P75 as well, unless you are ranked 1st in the class and acing everything it'd be naive to think you would be in the P90 range. Still, I did them both:

P75

AdvEng 37.8 75.6/100 (2)
MX1 45.6 91.2/100 (2)
MX2 47.6 95.2/100 (2)
Physics 38.0 76.0/100 (2)
Acc. 37.6 75.2/100
Econ 38.4 76.8/100 (2)
Agg: 414.8/500
ATAR: 96.35

And P90

AdvEng 42.3 84.6/100 (2)
MX1 47.7 95.4/100 (2)
MX2 48.5 97.0/100 (2)
Physics 42.1 84.2/100
Acc. 43.4 86.8/100 (2)
Econ 42.4 84.8/100 (2)
Agg: 448.6/500
ATAR: 99.10

winonaaa

HSC
okay, well I think I'll post here too. Umm, well I'm thinking of doing the following for Year 11. Any help or comments appreciated.

Maths
Maths Ext. 1
English
English Adv
Physics
Chemistry
Business

winonaaa

HSC
Most of the maths involves substitution (this starts in Year 11) and/or manipulating formulas (this starts in Year 12). The hardest maths I've encountered in Physics (so far, I've done 2 out of 4 topics, doing 3rd one now) is to find the gradient of a straight line graph. Being good at maths would kind of help, yes.

If you will be doing 4U maths in Year 12, you will find that the irony is that there is a harder degree of Physics in 4U than in "Physics" itself.
Damn, well, at my school, only the top 18 students in year 11 actually get to do 4U maths. But I hope I can. Atm, I'm top of my grade, but don't know if that will continue --'

ilikebeeef

HSC
Damn, well, at my school, only the top 18 students in year 11 actually get to do 4U maths. But I hope I can. Atm, I'm top of my grade, but don't know if that will continue --'
Well not everyone in my school are allowed to do 4U maths either - students have to get a signature of approval from the Head Teacher first.

ilikebeeef

HSC
okay, well I think I'll post here too. Umm, well I'm thinking of doing the following for Year 11. Any help or comments appreciated.

Maths
Maths Ext. 1
English
English Adv
Physics
Chemistry
Business
Well before I say anything about this, I should ask you:

What are your favourite junior subjects?
What are your best subjects?
What are your (academic) strengths and weaknesses?
What is your ATAR aim (or roundabouts)?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well not everyone in my school are allowed to do 4U maths either - students have to get a signature of approval from the Head Teacher first.
My 3u teacher (who is now my 4u teacher) tried to scare us away from the subject by showing us the syllabus and stuff like that. Still, nothing could take away my resolve to do the subject!

Unfortunately, this means mornings and late afternoons. But the free lunch will take away all that pain... or, if nothing else, the satisfaction of getting a higher ATAR than everyone else will suffice, and if that doesn't happen - the only other option? Epic crying sessions!

ilikebeeef

HSC
My 3u teacher (who is now my 4u teacher) tried to scare us away from the subject by showing us the syllabus and stuff like that. Still, nothing could take away my resolve to do the subject!
Wtf lol. Well the Head Teacher wasn't my Year 11 teacher, but she said that you have to have very strong 3U skills. Upon my application, she was like "Hmmm you didn't do so well in the Yearly... but your Half Yearly rank was high. *signs the paper*" Lol the Half Yearly saved my ass... and I believe I fluked the Half Yearly. :rofl:

Unfortunately, this means mornings and late afternoons. But the free lunch will take away all that pain... or, if nothing else, the satisfaction of getting a higher ATAR than everyone else will suffice, and if that doesn't happen - the only other option? Epic crying sessions!
Free lunch? You mean, 99.95 ATAR free lunch? :)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
He may be a bit eccentric but he makes maths fun with jokes and the like - usually at the expense of General Maths or students who make smart comments against him. I believe he once had this conversation with a General Maths student during class:

GM Student: "What?! She beat me in the test?"
*teacher looks at her result and her friends result*
Teacher: Yes, because 67 is a bigger number than 49.

It's even more funny because he's the maths co-ordinator =P

And yes, the 99.95 ATAR free lunch - the holy grail of study!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)