• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What units to choose for year 11? (2 Viewers)

ilikebeeef

HSC
He may be a bit eccentric but he makes maths fun with jokes and the like - usually at the expense of General Maths or students who make smart comments against him. I believe he once had this conversation with a General Maths student during class:

GM Student: "What?! She beat me in the test?"
*teacher looks at her result and her friends result*
Teacher: Yes, because 67 is a bigger number than 49.
It's even more funny because he's the maths co-ordinator =P
Lol I feel sorry for the GM student.

And yes, the 99.95 ATAR free lunch - the holy grail of study!
Lol.

NoFaceValue

HSC
"hey you should choose subjects that reflect the career you yearn in the end - a 99.95 ATAR doesn't bring all the hapiness in the world (temporarily speaking)"

+rep.

Two years after graduation, who really cares what your ATAR was?
ATAR = A good goal, but in the long run, it's just a nice finish to a 13 year hell... I aim for a decent ATAR too, but it's funny to think that we all work so hard for something that only brings temporary happiness.
Passion= affects you forever. Do something you love? And you'll enjoy your life. Do something you hate? A little less enjoyable.

Choosing subjects should consider; what you enjoy, what you're good at AND how well it scales. A friend of mine got a 99.? ATAR (You're all probably looking down on her cause' it isn't 95 :p) doing pure humanities and subjects which she enjoyed.

I'm not trying to sound brutal here, but regardless of what subjects you do.. You're going to need to do well to get that 99.95 ATAR. I find it strange that one minute you're saying that you hate science, but later you say you're taking Physics. You need to ask yourself this... If you don't like science-- then can you do better than the majority of the state? Isn't it better to do subjects that you're good at and you enjoy, where you'll want to work to get to the top?

My advice is this, so structure 1-- you enjoy maths and commerce, and this structure should be extremely enjoyable for you... However, you'll need to work on your skills in essays and interpretation.

Feel free to completely ignore this post, it's just an opinion... Most people would probably think I'm a complete idiot for choosing EX1 over MX1.. But I know I can get near the top in EX1, and ATAR calculators tell me that's better than dragging along weith MX1 :)... Hopefully you can apply this example to your subjects...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
99.95 can bring all the happiness in the world - especially if the chicks dig it!

The jury is still out on whether they do though =P

But yes, take what you like although take some heed to scaling if you want super super high ATARs. By that I mean, don't expect it.

Villa94

HSC
1) 1
2) Because you said you like maths and it also has an extension course which scales well. Also your other subjects scale alright and would also help you in the future eg. accounting.
3) 1 Has better scaled subjects overall.

HSC
I think you should definitely take structure 1! it will give you a better chance of acheieving your atar of 99 because youll be doing extension maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)