• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what was the first song you learnt on the guitar? (1 Viewer)

nikilily

HSC
ahhh Yemen. Should of known. The land of milk and honey.

nikilily

HSC
yeah your right but Yemen ese (?) milk is really good, none of that pasteurised crap at woolies you know?

Arctopus

HSC
I don't mind pasteurised milk, actually. I'ma stop derailing this thread now and try to post something slightly on topic.

Eric Clapton's Tears In Heaven comes to mind.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmu5QXn41JU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nmu5QXn41JU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

kcqn93

HSC
classical gas - mason williams

worked out that song for 3 months straight and didnt play any other songs... afterwards i never picked up a classical/acoustic guitar again....

but for beginner acoustic songs, try:

time after time - eva cassidy
save tonight - eagle eye cherry
time of your life - greenday
i'm yours - jason mraz

and if you want to learn the typical beginner guitarist anthem, go here

Stairway To Heaven tab by Led Zeppelin @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

lololol :guitar:

nikilily

HSC
nice song but the first time i played it on my first ashton untuned excuse of a guitar, it sounded horrible wonder why

Arctopus

HSC
nice song but the first time i played it on my first ashton untuned excuse of a guitar, it sounded horrible wonder why
Yeah, my first bass was an Ashton, it was horrible and I got a new bass as soon as I could. For instruments aimed at beginners, they give the worst playing experience. I mean, half the time people give up learning is because their instrument sounds needlessly shit.

Another song I thought of...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLYiIEvqaBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nLYiIEvqaBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
first song for me was Man-Size by PJ Harvey. I started teaching myself it as soon as I got my guitar.

3 chords, so easy, and sounds pretty good with me singing.

kcqn93

HSC
i've tried an ashton once.. i lol'd... might aswell have gotten a squier...

i played a crappy classical for a few months, save up money and bought a mim fender strat. no regrets lol

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
i've tried an ashton once.. i lol'd... might aswell have gotten a squier...

i played a crappy classical for a few months, save up money and bought a mim fender strat. no regrets lol
some jap squiers are actually good so shut up

Arctopus

HSC
some jap squiers are actually good so shut up
Yeah, my main bass is a MII Squier and it rips the shit outta any MIM Fender I've played, both feel and tone wise. That being said, the cheap Squiers are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
yeah a standard MIM strat sounds rather bad but they make good guitars to make easy mods on

HSC
.. or if you're left handed and mexican models are the only thing fender will give you .. unless you can be fucked importing something from overseas, pretty much everything sold here is mim, lame

pretty sure the first song i learned was mmmbop by hanson. i was 11 so that's a fairly good excuse (although i still like the song tbh, i know i know)

dan2452

HSC
Sitting Waiting Wishing - Jack Johnson

Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Alive - Pearl Jam

Best of you - Foo Fighters

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard

All fairly easy to play, and fun. Try youtubing for video lessons as well, that really makes it easier to understand than tab (in some cases)

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
For chords and basic strumming it was Don McLean's 'American Pie'

Fingerpicking I started off with Green Day's 'Time of Your Life' (doesn't everyone?)

kcqn93

HSC
yeah a standard MIM strat sounds rather bad but they make good guitars to make easy mods on
mods yes. but my choice of mods were quite stupid..... i put EMGs on it for some reason... routed the wood and slapped on a floyd rose... kinda kills the whole strat image and tone...

and my bad if i offended the squiers... i was just saying that there were better than ashtons....:uhoh:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
edit.. oops, guitar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)