What was your parents & family reaction to your UAI? (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
sinist4 said:
to make ur parents put less pressure on u to get into uni or get high marks... get a 2/50 in maths like i did in yr 10 hahahaha
hahaha i know what you mean there...my parents reaction to my maths mark (79 in general) was along the lines of "Wait, you mean you passed it?!...ahem, I mean, congratulations, darling." lol. i don't think they were expecting much out of me as far as maths goes.

congrats to everyone :) and have a great christmas/new year :p

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
i'm asian... and i was dead surprised when my parents were actually... SUPPORTIVE when i got the shocking marks back... (i probably overdosed on weird drugs during my HSC and never knew).

They were disappointed... but they did see how hard i worked during the HSC and kinda said "well u can't do much now..." (never heard that) although mum did complain about me being online and watching movies on youtube.... and said maybe if i stopped i would have got a better mark....

But she knew i was never a great maths/science student... better at the english/history (but doesn't enjoy it)

I cried for days... depressed but parents actually told me to get over it, and see that there are great options out there (weird...) so i guess I was realli realli lucki this time (maybe they gave up thinking I mite be bright.........)

They even convinced themselves dat it was due to my subjects dat dragged me down and maybe i should have done 4 unit maths instead of 2.... (i just managed to pass 3 U =S dropped it) oh wellz... it is OVER!!!!! I'm now happy with my result, i tried... i can still get into some damn good course....

merry Xmas to all BOS peepz!! and congrats to all those who passed the HSC and is now ready to move into the big world =D

dudes and dudettes of class 06... we made it!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
pritnep said:
Hmmm right you cannot get a 97 and put 'NO effort in' I'm sorry but it isn't possible and your sister deserves more credit then that. I am assuming you both attend top selective\private schools to have this opinion. She beat 97% of the state that takes effort.

At the end of the day she did her best effort in the HSC and her best was a 97 a very, very respectable result that opens so many options. If she really wanted to do law there are plenty of university right around the country that would of accepted 97 so maybe she didn't really want that perhaps your parents did and she just said that to make them happy. After all if it was what she wanted then she would of spent the year after doing whatever it took to make sure she would get into that course.

I'm one of the lucky ones by this thread. My parents were very supportive and understanding. They saw how hard I worked throughout the year and have left all decisions about future studies up to myself. If anything I had my own expectations placed on myself and I meet and went above and beyond those making myself and my parents very pleased.

The fact of the matter remains she got a 97 again as I said before you can't get that without putting in a considerable amount of effort and learning the knowledge so there is no doubt she put effort in to achieve it and was still able to have a social life so if anything it is to her credit.

And how would you know? I have friends from various schools that have gotten 97+ who study the bare minimum, eg. cramming two days before. It's just everyone has been given different abilities.

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
cramming still takes effort so my argument still stands. Besides the agument has been through and resolved so :p.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Damn, a lot of people (especially some of those from non-immigrant background families) are 'bach chee.' Many such people simply have no grasp of the context of the situation of a significant number of asian kids and their parents.

It's about the effort and not the score, that's just a number so get that through that thick skull of yours. Many people are very adept at absorbing material and quite often have extra resources at their disposal depending on their circumstances. As such, apart from the extremely high scores, UAIs are only considered to be magnificent by many asian parents if their child has put in a significant amount of effort.

It's not a case of "z0mG a 90+ UAI! It must be judged as being excellent because it's a higher number!" That kind of score will probably get them into their desired course so good for them. But from the point of view of many asian parents, that is by no means a good score unless their child has worked their ass off. I mean, they might not show it but I'm sure that deep down inside, most asian parents would be much more proud of their child if they had worked very hard for an 80 than if they did nothing and obtained 92.

Basically(for many asians), it comes down to whether or not the kid shows their appreciation for their parents hard work by knuckling down and working their ass off. If they do so, then the end result is a minor issue. I wish people would get that through their thick heads before letting out all of this garbage in their accusations of other people's parents being 'douchebags.'

Last edited:

ane_st

HSC
OK to everyone going on about this good UAI and bad UAI crap.. Lets just see, the whole point is to get into uni.. If you achieve a results to get into the course who shall be happy, if not then i can see why some others are dissapointed..

Lets just say someone needed 60, and they got 52, obviously that would be dissapointing cause they didnt get into the course they wanted to.. I like to see that as the same thing as if someone needs 98 and got 90, although that is exceptional - it can be dissapointing cause you may miss out on your course (unless the uai lowers :))

HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Damn, a lot of people (especially some of those from non-immigrant background families) are 'bach chee.' Many such people simply have no grasp of the context of the situation of a significant number of asian kids and their parents.

It's about the effort and not the score, that's just a number so get that through that thick skull of yours. Many people are very adept at absorbing material and quite often have extra resources at their disposal depending on their circumstances. As such, apart from the extremely high scores, UAIs are only considered to be magnificent by many asian parents if their child has put in a significant amount of effort.

It's not a case of "z0mG a 90+ UAI! It must be judged as being excellent because it's a higher number!" That kind of score will probably get them into their desired course so good for them. But from the point of view of many asian parents, that is by no means a good score unless their child has worked their ass off. I mean, they might not show it but I'm sure that deep down inside, most asian parents would be much more proud of their child if they had worked very hard for an 80 than if they did nothing and obtained 92.

Basically(for many asians), it comes down to whether or not the kid shows their appreciation for their parents hard work by knuckling down and working their ass off. If they do so, then the end result is a minor issue. I wish people would get that through their thick heads before letting out all of this garbage in their accusations of other people's parents being 'douchebags.'
Agreed. You have to understand the situation those people are in. Asian immigrants (and not just them) have had to put so much work in to get a better life, a kind of lifestyle they never had the opportunity to have as children. Some have had to start pretty much from scratch, as they have not been able to use the degrees or other qualifications they may have had in their old country. They expect their children to understand the hard work and sacrifice and to not take that for granted. It's just the way the parents themselves were brought up, they have hard work instilled into them, because they have had to, in a way work their way up. The children have never had to experience that, because their parents have provided a good life already for them. So when a child takes that for granted, when they don't put in the work there is bound to be disappointment, because it says they dont appreciate the life their parents have worked so hard to provide for. It's all about context.

HSC
Hahaha... When I first got my marks back, my Mum was really happy - but Dad says "Well... they're not really top shelf, are they?"

:uhoh:

Then the UAI came out the next day (93.65) and everyone was over the moon. The end. :)

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
luscious-llama said:
LIAR!
I got 83.55 and my parents who are Asian are stoked... but they're new age Asian parents..... oh and yeah I got into Art Express, lol.​

god damn, sucks that i don't have the new age asian parents.

i ended up getting 86.8 and my parents went psycho at me. i ended up having a 3 hour lecture about how i'm the worse son anyone could ever get and that me being school captain didn't mean shit to ur academic abilities. but that was only the beginning, its been like 2 weeks now and they're still going on about it. i think i'm about to go nuts

some parents can be really harsh to you, u just need to forget it i would think, how else could i be sane right now... right? o_O.

Last edited:

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
watatank said:
Agreed. You have to understand the situation those people are in. Asian immigrants (and not just them) have had to put so much work in to get a better life, a kind of lifestyle they never had the opportunity to have as children. Some have had to start pretty much from scratch, as they have not been able to use the degrees or other qualifications they may have had in their old country. They expect their children to understand the hard work and sacrifice and to not take that for granted. It's just the way the parents themselves were brought up, they have hard work instilled into them, because they have had to, in a way work their way up. The children have never had to experience that, because their parents have provided a good life already for them. So when a child takes that for granted, when they don't put in the work there is bound to be disappointment, because it says they dont appreciate the life their parents have worked so hard to provide for. It's all about context.
+1 thats the shizz

youd be surpised at the occupations that some asian parents do with no skills, like wash dishes... just walk into a chinese restaurant or buffet place at the RSL and BAM, your in the centre of it

i got 94.5 and my mum was ecstatic then yeah... all she knows is im gointo sydney and shes happy, cos she has no idea what UAI or the HSC means XD

to the above poster, at least your parents care, the opposite of love isnt hate, its indifference (well it sounded cool and my legal studies teacher said it XD looks like peter griffin)

if all else fails give em the back hand, with an open palm, youre prolly bigger than them anyway, think of it as retribution for when you were a kid

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
NeoKyo said:
+1 thats the shizz
NeoKyo said:
youd be surpised at the occupations that some asian parents do with no skills, like wash dishes... just walk into a chinese restaurant or buffet place at the RSL and BAM, your in the centre of it

i got 94.5 and my mum was ecstatic then yeah... all she knows is im gointo sydney and shes happy, cos she has no idea what UAI or the HSC means XD

to the above poster, at least your parents care, the opposite of love isnt hate, its indifference (well it sounded cool and my legal studies teacher said it XD looks like peter griffin)

if all else fails give em the back hand, with an open palm, youre prolly bigger than them anyway, think of it as retribution for when you were a kid
lol i wouldn't think backhanding them would be the solution to the problem. although my parents are harsh , i still grow to respect them.

and lottox yeah ur right, using the captain for my resume ended up giving me a cadetship, only difference is that my parents just doesn't have the bragging power compared to their other friends who have 90+ uai

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bukwow said:
god damn, sucks that i don't have the new age asian parents.

i ended up getting 86.8 and my parents went psycho at me. i ended up having a 3 hour lecture about how i'm the worse son anyone could ever get and that me being school captain didn't mean shit to ur academic abilities. but that was only the beginning, its been like 2 weeks now and they're still going on about it. i think i'm about to go nuts

some parents can be really harsh to you, u just need to forget it i would think, how else could i be sane right now... right? o_O.
[/LEFT]
well hey, if you got into your course then it's all good :) ... your academic ability doesn't mean jack unless you can actually utilise it in the area YOU want to work in.
Has anyone else's parents kinda pressured them a bit into looking at higher UAI courses just because they got a higher score than they expected? I only needed 83.25 for my course...i got 94.55 and for quite a while i got the feeling that they really wanted me to do a 'higher' course. hah, not happening, coz the only course i really liked the sound of with a higher UAI than the one I've chosen, had a UAI of like 98 point something.

Monstar

HSC
lololol asian parents ftl. Srsly unfair expectations heaved upon there kids

HSC
Unfair or not thats just how it is with Asian parents (and I don't want to generalise too much, but the vast majority of all Asian parents i know have these dreams for their children. You have to understand where they are coming from. If you had a shit life before you worked your way up to a decent life you probably wouldnt want your kids to go through the same as well, if you care that is.

NeoKyo said:
+1 thats the shizz

youd be surpised at the occupations that some asian parents do with no skills

Cheers for that. It's not actually like that for me, well it is but not to a great extent. I got 80.90 UAI and my parents knew as well as I did that I could have gone much better, but didnt lecture me too much, they were happy because it was enough and it got me into uni...where im pretty much guaranteed a better salary then they have when I leave (yes yes I know you can go to TAFE or apprenticeship and earn more, but im just saying how my parents thought about it).

Also there was something I heard which was quite sad. these Asian people my parents know had a daughter who apparently was a exceedingly brilliant student. Her parents were set on her doing medicine and becoming a doctor. So she got into medicine, did the medicine course, finished the degree, gave the certificate thing to her parents and went back to uni and did an arts degree...

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
watatank said:
Unfair or not thats just how it is with Asian parents (and I don't want to generalise too much, but the vast majority of all Asian parents i know have these dreams for their children. You have to understand where they are coming from. If you had a shit life before you worked your way up to a decent life you probably wouldnt want your kids to go through the same as well, if you care that is.

Cheers for that. It's not actually like that for me, well it is but not to a great extent. I got 80.90 UAI and my parents knew as well as I did that I could have gone much better, but didnt lecture me too much, they were happy because it was enough and it got me into uni...where im pretty much guaranteed a better salary then they have when I leave (yes yes I know you can go to TAFE or apprenticeship and earn more, but im just saying how my parents thought about it).
It's not really fair when Asian parents place such huge expectations on their children to succeed. I think it is actually achieving the opposite of what the parents are intending for their child. I myself have an Asian parent whom is my father (my mother is Fijian) who came from nothing and was able to go to uni through a scholarship and earn a better lifestyle for our family. As such, its only natural that I wanted to live up to my parents expectations and get a high UAI. I ended up with 87.95 and while I was dissappointed, my parents were fairly pleased. The thing with my parents is that they are very practical and know that a UAI is nothing more than a number which can either increase/decrease my chances of doing whatever degree at university. My parents only cared that my UAI was enough to do what I wanted and since it was, they were satisfied and haven't mentioned it again. On a final note, I can't say I experienced the high level of pressure that some parents (regardless of whether they're Asian or not) place on their children to succeed academically as my parents pressure me on something else. This 'something else' being that I simply get into uni, graduate with a degree and then find a job. Or in other words, just that I support myself in the future.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
Yeah, it does =( Not as much as 0.05 though.
that happened to me. it got me at first but then you dont really regret it because it all turns out alright for the most part.

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
ohoho, thats quite cool, playing the spite card with the arts degree

But seriously, all the effort to end up doing a *farts* degree....I guess she would just have to turn up to the exams and burrow lectures off cassette tapes to grab it

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
sando said:
if u dont mind me asking.. how did u get a scholarship with a 87.95 ?
That sentence may have been a little misleading. I didnt get a scholarship, it was my father who did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)