What would you choose?? (1 Viewer)

lind27

HSC
Hey everyone,

I can't decide between majoring in marketing, hr, property, management and sports management and was just wondering what other peoples thoughts were.

Any feedback would be awesome thanks

Lou283

HSC
Hey everyone,

I can't decide between majoring in marketing, hr, property, management and sports management and was just wondering what other peoples thoughts were.

I am perhaps a little biased because i am going to do marketing but here is my opinion.

Marketing - Great general major which will benefit you in many roles, not just marketing specific jobs. Is thought to be one of the easier majors to pass but fairly hard to get high distinctions. It can be a hard market to get a decent job in sometimes and you need to be confident talking to people and giving your opinion.

HR - A career in HR will normally pay very well and you can work in every sector you can think of as well as the air force, navy and other government organisations should you want to. Personally I would probably find it a rather monotonous job after a while but it depends what keeps you motivated. You also have to really be a people person - lots of hiring and firing.

Property - I think this would be an interesting major and you have the potential to use the skills learned to start your own company or buy and sell for profit. Keep in mind though that property is often the worst affected in any financial slump for people.

Management - I think it would be good as a second major but I wouldn't only major in management personally. I heard its an ok major but that good management comes from experience.

Sports Management - If you are interested in sports it may be a good line however jobs may be limited. Would perhaps be better as a second major with something else to support you should a job in this field not be available when you first need work. Perhaps do this a second major and marketing as your first and get into the sports industry that way ??

These are just my opinions, what I also do is go on somewhere like seek and look at 'dream' jobs. See what looks interesting and look at the experience needed and work backwards.

Goodluck!

Wingstroke

Banned
HSC
all lead to terrible office jobs, unless you get a kick out of petty office politics, stay away from all of these (easily self-taught) majors

robb3d

HSC
all lead to terrible office jobs, unless you get a kick out of petty office politics, stay away from all of these (easily self-taught) majors
Haters :p

Hey everyone,

Sports management sounds awesome, especially in this culture. I know of some government spots and sports organisation positions that need someone to fix it up on administrative.

Otherwise marketing - broad discipline.

Foodie

HSC
N/A
Those majors won't help you much in scoring a job in a related field, as the principles and concepts taught in such subjects are easily acquired working in an office and working your way up. That said, if you excel in these majors and acquire a strong business acumen, you can get places. The point of contention is whether you really need a degree in XYZ if you were that bright to begin with.

Bananaberry

HSC
Sports management and property are too narrow, if you want to keep your options open.
Management is something you can work your way into within many fields - your not going to go straight from being a graduate to a manager.

HR and Marketing are kind of related. HR you are working internally and marketing exteranlly - both involve working with people (employees/customers) and marketing the business/product to others. Depends what your interests are really. I'm in marketing and part of my job is HR (I wright job ad's, do internal marketing etc, basically all but interviewing people). Marketing is broad and you can get into things like advertising, communicaitons, PR etc.

Gmac_0

HSC
I'd choose Marketing/Management.

Apparently sports management has little on offer in terms of jobs. It sounds ok, but really, how many sports managers/ administrators are there in Australia? Probably not a lot. As for HR, I wouldn't do that as I really couldn't be bothered dealing with people's problems in the workplace. HR used to be a basic administrative job but has now turned into a degree. It would be better the way it was imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)