What Would You Get For Under 20K? (1 Viewer)

BeeemER

HSC
I think you'll need more than $1.5k to fix the interior of a 20 year old car. Fitment issues, electrical, new retrim, etc... would def cost more.

This also presumes you do alot of the labour and no guarantee of reliability.
By fix up I mean re-trimming the 2 front seats. Believe it or not thats all it needs, interior that is.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
By fix up I mean re-trimming the 2 front seats. Believe it or not thats all it needs, interior that is.
I'm inclined to think alot of the plastics and fitment would've warped by then with significant gaps showing... not to mention the numerous electrical and other miscellaneous faults likely to have started showing their heads by the 20 year mark (I'm basing this on our 10+ year old Bimmer).

Although all the above depends on what you deem as being decent/sufficient. Remember we are comparing to other brand new cars in the $20k bracket.

BeeemER

HSC
I'm inclined to think alot of the plastics and fitment would've warped by then with significant gaps showing... not to mention the numerous electrical and other miscellaneous faults likely to have started showing their heads by the 20 year mark (I'm basing this on our 10+ year old Bimmer).

Although all the above depends on what you deem as being decent/sufficient. Remember we are comparing to other brand new cars in the $20k bracket.

electrically the car is fine, the battery, radio, windows etc. The beauty with this car is that it is largely mechanical. The soft top is mechanical, the engine is a fairly simple compared to newer models.

but tbh the plastics within the car are fine too. I know the plastic around the door handle has a crack in it but you can barely see it.

Personally I would prefer restoring an e30 that would look and run great by the 8-9k range than buying a brand new car for 20k

Shrewmy

HSC
A manual Toyota Soarer if I could find one.

Unfortunately the youth of today love taking quality cars like Skylines, Supras etc. and thrashing them to kingdom come and slapping on gaudy spoilers and fart cannons (usually bought from Ebay and installed themselves) BECUZ IT ADDZ MORE HOARSPOWA MAAATE.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
A manual Toyota Soarer if I could find one.

Unfortunately the youth of today love taking quality cars like Skylines, Supras etc. and thrashing them to kingdom come and slapping on gaudy spoilers and fart cannons (usually bought from Ebay and installed themselves) BECUZ IT ADDZ MORE HOARSPOWA MAAATE.
That's why I like the no turbos rule. It means that kids have 3 years to get the angstiness out of their system before they can touch any decent (and dangerous) hi performance cars.

ps. I used to have a beautiful wing on my Civic FD (along with the full Mugen kit). I know the car isn't fast but it looked nice to me. Lasted me until I got fulls.

Phantomeureka

HSC
That's why I like the no turbos rule. It means that kids have 3 years to get the angstiness out of their system before they can touch any decent (and dangerous) hi performance cars.

ps. I used to have a beautiful wing on my Civic FD (along with the full Mugen kit). I know the car isn't fast but it looked nice to me. Lasted me until I got fulls.
Not really, the cars i learnt to drive on was my dads R33 skyline w/ 350rwkw and a mates R33 with a more modest 240rwkw.

My dad constantly showed me what i can and cant do and THAT made me a better driver then i would have been. He's been driving for 30-odd years and has driven porsche 944 turbos, a sierra cosworth, High end beemers and merc's and until recently his r33 skyline.

In saying that i find my 300ZX to be more then adequate in day to day driving and in my personal opinion even my car is something i wouldn't let a P plater touch, i have a mate who crashed 5 cars in 1 year while 80% of people who went to my school in year12 either crashed or damaged their cars in a big way i've never put a scratch on mine and thats something im proud of :). Dickheads will always be dickheads on the road and thats something that you can't stop.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Dickheads will always be dickheads on the road and thats something that you can't stop.
Exactly. A little common sense goes a long way to keeping your ride in one piece no matter how powerful it is.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, the cars i learnt to drive on was my dads R33 skyline w/ 350rwkw and a mates R33 with a more modest 240rwkw.

My dad constantly showed me what i can and cant do and THAT made me a better driver then i would have been. He's been driving for 30-odd years and has driven porsche 944 turbos, a sierra cosworth, High end beemers and merc's and until recently his r33 skyline.

In saying that i find my 300ZX to be more then adequate in day to day driving and in my personal opinion even my car is something i wouldn't let a P plater touch, i have a mate who crashed 5 cars in 1 year while 80% of people who went to my school in year12 either crashed or damaged their cars in a big way i've never put a scratch on mine and thats something im proud of :). Dickheads will always be dickheads on the road and thats something that you can't stop.
I believe you would probably be a rarity/exception. Majority of guys I know who bought hi-po cars had parents who drove normal cars and didn't care for (or know much about) driving beyond getting from point A to B. You're fortunate in that your father clearly appreciates cars and also wants to ensure you learn things the right way. Unfortunately for a lot of kids out there, you put an R32 GTR in front of them and the first thing they do is thrash it or try and do a fully sick burnout. I know this is a stereotype but I've seen it first time many times (I organise small 'street meets'). Anyway despite all this, whilst I drove a few hipo cars along the way I'm glad I waited until fulls before I had my own.

Agreed with your final remark.

Phantomeureka

HSC
I believe you would probably be a rarity/exception. Majority of guys I know who bought hi-po cars had parents who drove normal cars and didn't care for (or know much about) driving beyond getting from point A to B. You're fortunate in that your father clearly appreciates cars and also wants to ensure you learn things the right way. Unfortunately for a lot of kids out there, you put an R32 GTR in front of them and the first thing they do is thrash it or try and do a fully sick burnout. I know this is a stereotype but I've seen it first time many times (I organise small 'street meets'). Anyway despite all this, whilst I drove a few hipo cars along the way I'm glad I waited until fulls before I had my own.

Agreed with your final remark.
Where at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)