• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What would you like to see on BOS 2005? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
glitterfairy said:
Sub-sectioning in the Ancient History forum. PLEASE!!!

Just into cultures... It's so difficult to find a specific Roman time period when a) it's jumbled with not only different time periods, but b) DIFFERENT CULTURES!

Oh - and can we ban 2/3/4U Maths trolls from the General Maths forum?

And in the Uni forums: an idea might be to sub-section them off into Humanties/Sciences etc

If you wanna know how much I petitioned for Anc Hist subforums just ask any of the other mods ... aiiya. Ian's done them (YAY FATMUSCLE! WE ALL LOVE YOU!)

If you report the posts of trolls it will assist us in banning them.

I forget if I've answered this post already, but yeah.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Xayma said:
FAQ's in forums, like Einstein and Planck in physics, that has to be asked at least 3 times a month.
I have set this sort of idea up in ME2 and EE1. Hopefully other mods will follow suit ...

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
a faster server or something would be good, because i find that this continually tells me it cannot load the pages and it takes me twice as long to do something on these forums.

I don't know how well this will go down, but perhaps mini forum/forum supervisors?

like, slightly more rep power than normal people but not as much as mods.... answering questions on forums (bigger forums, more supervisors) more direct links with moderators etc.

i say this cos there are some sections of the forum which i notice could do with some more helpers -- English Extension 1 the subforums (although McLake does a great job!!) English Extension 2, Music, and I'm sure there are a lot of others too.

I say this cos there are alot of people out there who help a lot, but they don't really get any credit for it. To name a few: chepas in French, glitterfairy and Komaticom in Extension 1 English, jhakka and glycerine in Extension 2 English.... it would be good if they all got to wield a little more power in the sections which they frequent, thats all.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Faster server is probably only important around the HSC time - I don't think I've ever seen it clunk as much as it does from the end of October -> beginning of Nov.

I think we've discussed (what you've termed!) forum supervisors (must be too much HSC) in the mod arena before.

I guess I am biased against sub sub moderators because things just get messy - it is pretty bad with supermods and admins and mods all doing everything at the moment (and non supermods are begging supermods and admins to do things that they could have handled straight away). However I understand the problem of things not getting stickied early and that sort of thing.

I do believe users should interact more with mods themselves - I check my PMs and my email more frequently than I will sift through a 78 post thread - and alert us (I know you have!) of anything which they consider needs being done. This goes for any forum and any moderator - if the person you address cannot help you then they can pass the message onto other mods (we talk. a lot. too much.)

I suppose one of the reasons it takes a while for things to get through to me from all the forums I'm moderating is that there are many, many threads and I don't read all of them through email or I'd do nothing else all day - whereas reported posts and PMs get priority :)

2c from the other side of the fence.

btw - mod applications are always welcome. Usually they're only rejected on the basis of poor reputation in the past or a forum which has enough mods.

ujuphleg said:
a faster server or something would be good, because i find that this continually tells me it cannot load the pages and it takes me twice as long to do something on these forums.

I don't know how well this will go down, but perhaps mini forum/forum supervisors?

like, slightly more rep power than normal people but not as much as mods.... answering questions on forums (bigger forums, more supervisors) more direct links with moderators etc.

i say this cos there are some sections of the forum which i notice could do with some more helpers -- English Extension 1 the subforums (although McLake does a great job!!) English Extension 2, Music, and I'm sure there are a lot of others too.

I say this cos there are alot of people out there who help a lot, but they don't really get any credit for it. To name a few: chepas in French, glitterfairy and Komaticom in Extension 1 English, jhakka and glycerine in Extension 2 English.... it would be good if they all got to wield a little more power in the sections which they frequent, thats all.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
well i applied for mod-ship but i never got a reply from Laz. Should i send off an e-mail to Minai or someone else?

It could be that i haven't been around for very long - only since the beginning of January - but I think that what you guys have done is really really really good and would just really like to help out... but i guess i gotta take that up with the people who count :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
the idea of active mods sounds promising.

J

jhakka

I PMd an application for modship in Ext 2 to anti, but I'm not sure if that was the correct. Hopefully anti can forward it to the right people if I got it wrong.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
ujuphleg said:
well i applied for mod-ship but i never got a reply from Laz. Should i send off an e-mail to Minai or someone else?

It could be that i haven't been around for very long - only since the beginning of January - but I think that what you guys have done is really really really good and would just really like to help out... but i guess i gotta take that up with the people who count :)

I've done a search for your app and it wasn't posted on the mod forum. Could you send it through to me and I'll put it up for discussion?

fantasia

HSC
hmm how about an ability to rate notes which have been submitted to BOS..

some notes are pretty crappy while others are fantastic. how about some forum games or something... i think theres hacks for vbulletin.

sunny

meh.
HSC
mervvyn said:
i'd do german if you wanted one... who do i talk to...
PM the admins/supermods with your application and they'll put it up for discussion in the mod section of the forum.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
obvious improvement: deletion of NS = 200% faster and less lag server.

maybe we should have more active sticky-ing (as a subforum of a forum), so that all important threads/quotes are easily found (so people don't have to search (and waste server time).

more uni stuff? like law.boredofstudies.org, med.boredofstudies.org etc... we have enough members in many courses who can volunteer to write a breakdown of what each course is like, what are the options of studying, links to faculty websites etc. because it's not a questionnaire, imo it'll be better than the good unis guide.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
if NS was deleted, everyone would just spam in entertainment or something.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
anti said:
I've done a search for your app and it wasn't posted on the mod forum. Could you send it through to me and I'll put it up for discussion?

done n done! :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Just looking at the BOS site help forum, maybe you should post up an updated FAQ, especially for things like reputation points, position (e.g. moderator, admin, etc), post count not changing/inability to start threads, why the server stuffs up, things like that, so that people don't have to wade through tons of posts for one answer.

Also, do the mods just 'monitor' and 'censor' the content of the forum they're moderating or do they actually sift through all those threads and relocate them and join them and stuff like that? Because if they do (meaning actually doing something other than just 'monitoring'), maybe a good tidy up would be in order? there are many threads on many forums that have the same topic in mind, but the separate page thing means that two almost identical threads could be on pages 1 and 12, let's say. Won't this just clog up the server, i.e. it would make more sense to group similar threads together?

But other than that, I think BOS is probably the best thing that ever happened to me during the course of Year 11 this year, so thanks to all for your answers and help. Go the class of 2005!

sunny

meh.
HSC
lala2 said:
Also, do the mods just 'monitor' and 'censor' the content of the forum they're moderating
Both :)

lala2 said:
or do they actually sift through all those threads and relocate them and join them and stuff like that? Because if they do (meaning actually doing something other than just 'monitoring'), maybe a good tidy up would be in order? there are many threads on many forums that have the same topic in mind, but the separate page thing means that two almost identical threads could be on pages 1 and 12
If we're talking about things that are 12 pages apart thats quite extreme to be joining them - for starters, the thread on page 12 would be very old. Its probably not very nice to be constantly bringing up dead threads.

If there are two threads asking the same question, possibly on the same page, the mod would either join the thread or point one of the threads to the other. Similarly if all threads with similar topics a joined, you'll get one very disjoint thread since the question asked won't match up with the answers and it'll look like theres 10 separate conversations going on over a dozen pages.

fantasia

HSC
get rid of 'please click on one of the quick reply icons above to activate quick reply'

doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of quick reply. The quick reply should just be like this and we dont have to click the icon. it annoys me sometimes.. especially when i forget to click the icon and i've started typing in the quick reply box already.. then the message just gets wiped then i just give up on typing.

Melody

HSC
N/A
I agree with the idea to be able to rate sources (though it would mean more replication in use of particular ones --> more likely to have same ones plagiarised/HSCers using same notes with same examples etc). Lol, being dedicated and going through all of them often means you find some gems, particularly with larger resource areas, that many others wouldn't get as fair as finding :D

As far as resources go I think it would be good if we had another column with date posted so that it would be easier to keep a track of resources the user has already checked out instead of trawling through trying to figure out if there are any resoources one hasn't got.

Another idea: you should be able to click on the latest resources bit on the front page to get to a longer list going back the past month or two weeks --> never miss a new resource :D

Just some things that have been bothering me :)

*jumps up and down* Ooh! I want bored merchandise! :D
Would be good if we could buy/chances to win merch. I like the idea of attempting HSC exam with a bored pen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)