What would you like to see on BOS? (1 Viewer)

enyap

HSC
N/A
Re: What would you like to see on BOS 2008?

Resources listed that one can actually access rather than constantly being asked to log in (despite being logged in already).

jazzbaby

HSC

a way to change your username would be good.

sweir

HSC

can you please make a forum for Earth and environmental science students... we do exist out there.
thanks

P

pLuvia

There already exists a forum for the subject in the HSC Science section

tau281290

HSC
Re: What would you like to see on BOS 2007?

I think I want the site to be 99.9% up and host it on a better server, it seems like its down quite a number of times during the year.

We should have monthly competition of some sort. =P

tau281290

HSC

Hey, how about a face lift for this forum? It has been like this ever since it started?

HSC

jazzbaby said:
a way to change your username would be good.
yeah i agree, that would be cool. It might make things confusing though

jsbithy

HSC
N/A

religion and politics section.

BackCountrySnow

HSC

A sub forum for philosophy rather than just a thread.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A

a "General Discussion on the 2009 HSC" link thing on the first page? would be quicker for the no doubt increasing amount of people who will use it =]

Lukybear

HSC

I want answers for HSC externals!!! 2010

Peteage

HSC

gdt said:
There are two issues with university notes and plagiarism and they are worthwhile distinguishing.

Firstly, a uni student goes to a lecture, takes word-for-word notes and posts them to BOS. That is both plagiarism (it is not the student's own work) and a breach of the Copyright Act (the "word-for-word" aspect of the notes).

Secondly, a student uses content from BOS in submitted work, without acknowledging the source. That's plagiarism.

I wouldn't let fear of the second class of plagiarism stop you extending into aiding people at university. All instructional materials run this risk. In that way the media attacks on BOS are most unfair -- textbooks don't get criticised for encouraging plagiarism, despite being the source of most of it.

Where I would be cautious is with the deeper depth of knowledge required for university. One of the reasons BOS is successful is that there are many people that can help -- from professionals in a field like me, to students that did the subject in previous years, to fellow struggling students. But there isn't the same number of people attached to BOS that know about "CPU scheduling techniques for non-uniform memory access", or many of the other arcana university teaches students.

I also wonder if using BOS would be a good first tactic for uni students struggling with a particular topic. You are paying massively to be at uni. Take advantage of what you have purchased and attend the consulting session for your subject to get your understanding ironed out one-on-one with an expert. If there is no consulting session with staff then that would be interesting to hear about on BOS. "Ease of access to staff" is one of those things vital to the quality of your education which doesn't appear in any university course guide.
posting up your lectures notes isn't a violation of copywrite (even if it is word-for-word). To be copywrited, your work needs to be tangable to be copywrited. Also I dont really understand the issue with plagorism; if students post up their past assignments or notes wont they allready be quoted and cited correctly?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC

There should be subforum for the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources faculties within the University of Sydney forum.

As a student wishing to pursue a degree within that faculty, it is disappointing there's no support here on the BoS Forums.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

AussieVesti said:
There should be subforum for the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources faculties within the University of Sydney forum.

As a student wishing to pursue a degree within that faculty, it is disappointing there's no support here on the BoS Forums.
You are welcome to seek support by posting threads in the General section of the University of Sydney forum. The faculty subforums have been set up on the basis of demand. A Faculty of Agriculture section would be sparsely utilised. If however sufficent demand becomes evident down the track, i'll be happy to consider it.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC

Rafy said:
You are welcome to seek support by posting threads in the General section of the University of Sydney forum. The faculty subforums have been set up on the basis of demand. A Faculty of Agriculture section would be sparsely utilised. If however sufficent demand becomes evident down the track, i'll be happy to consider it.
As disappointing as that is, thanks for the response. I'll make sure to use the General sub-forum in the future. Thanks!

Brontecat

HSC

more opportunities to become a premium member without paying e.g. when reach a certain amount of rep points or something

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

more opportunities to become a premium member without paying e.g. when reach a certain amount of rep points or something
Nah, that's a bad idea.

Then people will be making rep system as some kind of competition.

Brontecat

HSC

yeh i wasn't thinking of exactly that but maybe something else but i couldnt think of any ideas :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)