What you hate about UNSW (1 Viewer)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i heard they kidnap first years and prod them with the modstick

xtinctdodo

HSC
I joined this forum like 2 minutes ago just to get this off my chest.

I'm an international student. I'm in Australia on a student visa, which gets cancelled if I'm not correctly enrolled in an educational institute or another. I paid for a plane ticket to get here, I paid for a visa, I paid for accommodation, yakity yak. Point is, it's taken a lot for me to get here.

Anyways, so I applied for the Master of Arts in Creative Writing degree. Received a letter from UNSW congratulating me on having successfully been accepted. Rah rah rah. This was sometime in November.

2 weeks ago, TWO fucking WEEKS ago, I receive an email from this prestigious uni, telling me that the program that I had applied for, and had been successfully accepted in, was completely scrapped!!!!

Now, had I not been an INTERNATIONAL student, there wouldn't have been a problem. I could stay in Australia without worrying about DIAC searching for my sorry ass coz I wasn't enrolled in a uni as I should have been.

I can understand that the program was dropped due to unforeseen circumstances, but dude, letting me know 2 weeks before the semester starts is abso-fucking-lutely insane!! I can't go apply at other uni's or anything!!

I haven't had a single second of shut-eye in the past 2 weeks. Seriously, zero regard for students, completely worthless administration, what I'm thinking now is, is it possible to sue the fuck out of these blood-suckers? Hell knows I've suffered mentally and emotionally, and they deserve a major walk of shame. Might be just the wake up call, kick up the ass they've been begging for.

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC

I'm an international student. I'm in Australia on a student visa, which gets cancelled if I'm not correctly enrolled in an educational institute or another. I paid for a plane ticket to get here, I paid for a visa, I paid for accommodation, yakity yak. Point is, it's taken a lot for me to get here.

Anyways, so I applied for the Master of Arts in Creative Writing degree. Received a letter from UNSW congratulating me on having successfully been accepted. Rah rah rah. This was sometime in November.

2 weeks ago, TWO fucking WEEKS ago, I receive an email from this prestigious uni, telling me that the program that I had applied for, and had been successfully accepted in, was completely scrapped!!!!

Now, had I not been an INTERNATIONAL student, there wouldn't have been a problem. I could stay in Australia without worrying about DIAC searching for my sorry ass coz I wasn't enrolled in a uni as I should have been.

I can understand that the program was dropped due to unforeseen circumstances, but dude, letting me know 2 weeks before the semester starts is abso-fucking-lutely insane!! I can't go apply at other uni's or anything!!

I haven't had a single second of shut-eye in the past 2 weeks. Seriously, zero regard for students, completely worthless administration, what I'm thinking now is, is it possible to sue the fuck out of these blood-suckers? Hell knows I've suffered mentally and emotionally, and they deserve a major walk of shame. Might be just the wake up call, kick up the ass they've been begging for.
you joined this forum to ask for legal advice?

HSC

UNSW Arts administration has always been shithole which goes perfectly with the non-existent funding the Federal government pays out to arts and humanities

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Australian unis are generally falling over themselves to get fee paying international students, so I would be surprised if you couldn't work something out with a different uni (like MQ or UTS, maybe).

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

Wow, that sucks.

What did they say when you spoke to them in person?

Didn't they offer your the opportunity to do another course or something ?

xtinctdodo

HSC
Wow, that sucks.

What did they say when you spoke to them in person?

Didn't they offer your the opportunity to do another course or something ?

Yeah they did, told me to look at other programs and see which ones I liked and to get back to them. And when I did that, they either said "oh this program is full" or "oh that program, you don't have enough background in the subject" or "oh you don't have a good enough academic record for this". I'm still waiting for them to put me in ANYTHING.

And even then, it's really unfair to be thrown into some random crap program you aren't interested in, especially as a full fee-paying student. Why am I paying 9k+ per semester, for something I don't want to do?

LordPc

HSC
Why don't you go thursday/friday then?

e.g. thurs
11am-12pm : Lab 0
1-2pm : Maple
im going monday cause there is a comp lecture so i can knock over either maple or lab 0 that day. but i really dont want to go to uni tuesday-friday since there is nothing on during the day so essentially i will spend more time on the train than in the classroom learning stuff

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
im going monday cause there is a comp lecture so i can knock over either maple or lab 0 that day. but i really dont want to go to uni tuesday-friday since there is nothing on during the day so essentially i will spend more time on the train than in the classroom learning stuff
er. Maple ?

As i remember you don't need to do anything for maple in 0-week.

_santa

HSC

Chill, chill, I'm an international student too, and I think we have the right to ask the uni make another offer on another course, or you could always change school, it's quick and easy. I came here from usyd.

LordPc

HSC

xtinctdodo

HSC
Chill, chill, I'm an international student too, and I think we have the right to ask the uni make another offer on another course, or you could always change school, it's quick and easy. I came here from usyd.
yes I would chill if I had been given the opportunity and the time to look at another uni. UNSW semesters start way after everyone else. I highly doubt any other uni's would be willing to take me on board so late. Application deadlines are a month before semester is in session, if not more. In other words, I have to accept any crap offer I get now from UNSW, or miss out on an entire semester if I decide to not accept what they dish out. ie leave Australia, and have a shitload of money I've already spent go down the drain.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
yes I would chill if I had been given the opportunity and the time to look at another uni. UNSW semesters start way after everyone else. I highly doubt any other uni's would be willing to take me on board so late. Application deadlines are a month before semester is in session, if not more. In other words, I have to accept any crap offer I get now from UNSW, or miss out on an entire semester if I decide to not accept what they dish out. ie leave Australia, and have a shitload of money I've already spent go down the drain.
How about if you work and just get to know sydney for a semester ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)