What you NEED to use for the AOS essay. (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
As threads constantly pop up everywhere asking how many stimulus texts and so forth, here is a post to remind everyone.
PRESCRIBED TEXT
You take a prescribed text from the appropriate focus. You need only utilise one from this list. It should also be the focus of your essay as things will need to be constantly linked in with it.(that bit was nice and easy wasn't it?:) )
NOTE: As Kimmeh has stated below, if you are doing poetry such as Coleridge or Stryzynecki then you study that as a whole for your prescribed text and usually analyse 2 poems specifically in your AOS
STIMULUS BOOKLET
You need use only *one* stimulus piece in your AOS essay in paper 1. Many teachers recommend that you study more than one as it may aid you in your understanding of what the Board of Studies means by Journeys. Here is a statement from the Board of Studies to exemplify this:
the NSW Board of Studies said:
This booklet is a prescribed text. In the HSC examination
students may be asked to refer to at least one text that
they have selected from the stimulus booklet.
This would be taken to mean that one text of your own choosing from the stimulus booklet is to be included in the HSC essay. This however does not place any parameters on what may be asked in your trials and assessments.
SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL
You are to take two texts of your own choosing which link into your chosen focus and your main prescribed text. They should preferrably be from different mediums. While you may take for related material the texts that are on the prescribed list for the english course, it is in general not recommended as you have to analyse them in a way that is separate from what is taught on them ie you really have to know your stuff - it still is perfectly legal though. Also in essays, many teachers have stated that if you have trouble with 2 pieces of related material then focus on the one as it is better to have one solid piece than two weak ones.
PS: This has also been verified by the HSC Advice Line which is staffed by HSC markers as shown here

EDIT: The Stimulus Booklet is no longer a mandatory text.

Last edited by a moderator:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Another thing worth noting is that your prescribed text is the most important, make sure that you write the most on your set text because they are testing your understanding of the text

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
"supplementary material" is additional texts of your own choosing.
"prescribed text" is the set text that you study at school.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
for the SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL do we get our text from what we study at school or our own choosings that relates to journeys?

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
bitchgirl said:
for the SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIAL do we get our text from what we study at school or our own choosings that relates to journeys?

Born Dancer said:
"supplementary material" is additional texts of your own choosing.
"prescribed text" is the set text that you study at school.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

elsi

HSC
If we have 2 or more poems from Immigrant chronicles, do we need more then than related text?

blonde_squad

HSC
language allowed

Im using a hilltop hoods song for my related material....do you think i could describe the language as colloquial and very "street" or would that not be appropraite. COnsidereing i hav included context and explained the pop culture behind the group and the "aussie battler" notion of the aussie rap scene. just wodnering.... So yeah what do you think about the word "street"??

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
MuffinMan said:
buttttttttttt, the 2004 hsc specifically said: ONE text of your own choosing
Incorrect - it said at LEAST one - ie one is the minumum amount required, which is what I said in my post.:)

sambo_rambo

HSC
blonde_squad said:
Im using a hilltop hoods song for my related material....do you think i could describe the language as colloquial and very "street" or would that not be appropraite. COnsidereing i hav included context and explained the pop culture behind the group and the "aussie battler" notion of the aussie rap scene. just wodnering.... So yeah what do you think about the word "street"??
Maybe you could use the words "slang specific to context" or something

blonde_squad

HSC
Personification

Can I regrad personification to animals... say the composer uses personification with the cat as the cat has human attributes. Or is personification only for objects?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
blonde_squad said:
Can I regrad personification to animals... say the composer uses personification with the cat as the cat has human attributes. Or is personification only for objects?
What you mention is called anthropomorphism and is something that is particularly relevant to Wind in the Willows where animals have been given a degree of human attributes.
MuffinMan said:
would two be fine?
Yes. Two supplementary texts is fine.

dalew777

HSC
Hi people (ie. Kami) just wanted to check the answers to these questions

1. Can they specify which Peter Skryznecki poems we have to talk about, ie. can the question say "You must refer to Migrant Hostel and Post Card"?

2. Can they specify which text(s) from the Stimulus booklet we have to talk about, ie. "you must refer to The Road Not Taken" ?

3. As someone asked before, if we are doing 2 or 3 poems as our prescribed text, will one additional text be enough, even if the question says "at LEAST ONE text of your own choosing"?

Thanks
Dale

Dr_Doom

HSC
dalew777 said:
Hi people (ie. Kami) just wanted to check the answers to these questions

1. Can they specify which Peter Skryznecki poems we have to talk about, ie. can the question say "You must refer to Migrant Hostel and Post Card"?

2. Can they specify which text(s) from the Stimulus booklet we have to talk about, ie. "you must refer to The Road Not Taken" ?

3. As someone asked before, if we are doing 2 or 3 poems as our prescribed text, will one additional text be enough, even if the question says "at LEAST ONE text of your own choosing"?

Thanks
Dale
1. Yes they can but they have never done it in the past. It's best just to have little knowledge of all the poems and know 2 really well.

2. No

3. Yes one will be enough. You only want to write about 4 or 5 texts.

dalew777

HSC
Thank you very much :):):)

2 days of study to go, eeek where did my tuesday morning go????

Dr. Doom, just saw you were a Christian - right on! God bless for your exams ;) Peaceout

Last edited:

linnyhyde

HSC
hey guys im having trouble with english, with all of our journeys stuff do we only use one text from our stimulus booklet, another prescribed text like peter skrzynecki poetry and 1 of our own texts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)