• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What's a friend? (1 Viewer)

~untitled~

HSC
A friend is far more than just sharing the same interests or whatever. When you get older a friend becomes someone that should be able to support and comfort you as well as offer you truths and advice, when your friends cant offer any of these things they just seem to fade away because they cease to have a significant impact in your life.

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A
A friend is someone with whom you can comfortably and honestly speak to about most things, and where you pretty much appreciate each other's company, offer support when things are low and talk at least weekly.

Having said that, I have no real friends in this country. Acquantainces to me are not really friends since we hardly speak, never meet and it's usually just brief if we ever do meet. The only people I go to cinemas or other social functions with are either my sister or my cousin. I used to have best friends, but a lot of things happened and we fought and it ended, so I'm a pretty lonely person but I don't really let it get to me since I have lots of hobbies.

I have many friends overseas though, and in fact, I'd say if I had to choose best friends, it'll be those overseas ones as odd as that is but that's the reality of my life. Been a horrible year to be honest, ugh. :burn:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles
From your nice warm bed
Just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you've got a friend in me
You've got troubles, well I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and we see it through

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
So no one told you life was going to be this way.
Your job's a joke, you're broke, you're love life's DOA.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear,
Well, it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year.

But, I'll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour.
I'll be there for you, like I've been there before.
I'll be there for you, cause you're there for me too.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so no one told you life was going to be this way.
Your job's a joke, you're broke, you're love life's doa.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear,
well, it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year.

But, i'll be there for you, when the rain starts to pour.
I'll be there for you, like i've been there before.
I'll be there for you, cause you're there for me too.
f.r.i.e.n.d.s

lala2

Banned
HSC
I don't have any really close friends to be honest. I had one best friend in high school--but in retrospect she was just a very good friend (and the only friend, actually). We no longer keep in contact--our interests are simply too different.

Now I have a lot of acquaintances. Some friends, but there's the group I sit with at uni (there's 4 of us in total), and then there are some non-pharmacy friends, but there's not many. One thing you learn very fast at uni is that your friendship circles are very fluid and people drift in and out of your life all the time, and that you learn just to be grateful that someone was nice enough to respond to your "how's it going?" msg via FB (or MySpace or whatever your preferred social networking website is)

Admit I'm a fairly lonely person, but I like my own company and have hobbies aplenty to keep me company.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I don't have any really close friends to be honest. I had one best friend in high school--but in retrospect she was just a very good friend (and the only friend, actually). We no longer keep in contact--our interests are simply too different.

Now I have a lot of acquaintances. Some friends, but there's the group I sit with at uni (there's 4 of us in total), and then there are some non-pharmacy friends, but there's not many. One thing you learn very fast at uni is that your friendship circles are very fluid and people drift in and out of your life all the time, and that you learn just to be grateful that someone was nice enough to respond to your "how's it going?" msg via FB (or MySpace or whatever your preferred social networking website is)

Admit I'm a fairly lonely person, but I like my own company and have hobbies aplenty to keep me company.
mmm
an introverted person.

that's pretty cool
do you like jigsaw puzzles?

if you feel lonely and want some friends with similar interests you should try joining those societies/clubs at uni that fit your hobbies

lala2

Banned
HSC
mmm
an introverted person.

that's pretty cool
do you like jigsaw puzzles?

if you feel lonely and want some friends with similar interests you should try joining those societies/clubs at uni that fit your hobbies
I suspect there's more introverted people out there than those who admit it, and I guess my admission is an act of extroversion. Don't even get me started on how Western societies in particular prize extroversion over introversion.

lol, jigsaw puzzles? Yeah, I guess they're pretty cool but I haven't touched one in a while. As for societies and clubs--wish I could, but no time :( [do pharmacy btw] probably will have to wait after registration which hopefully I will be end of next year.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I suspect there's more introverted people out there than those who admit it, and I guess my admission is an act of extroversion. Don't even get me started on how Western societies in particular prize extroversion over introversion.

lol, jigsaw puzzles? Yeah, I guess they're pretty cool but I haven't touched one in a while. As for societies and clubs--wish I could, but no time :( [do pharmacy btw] probably will have to wait after registration which hopefully I will be end of next year.
I don't think introvertion is something to be ashamed of,
as is extroverted people..

well i see all the law folk with their sailing/debating/fencing/wine tasting clubs

so pssh posh for 'no time ' xD

lala2

Banned
HSC
I don't think introvertion is something to be ashamed of,
as is extroverted people..

well i see all the law folk with their sailing/debating/fencing/wine tasting clubs

so pssh posh for 'no time ' xD
I agree there's always time if you make it, but I get tired very easily. I attended choir rehearsals for half a semeser back in 2007 and it just left me no time (or energy) at all. I was having 9am-9pm Wednesdays.

Law is very easy on the contact hours. I still do other things at uni, but only during non-semester time, e.g. today marks my third time volunteering with the international students' unit for their OWeek.

autumn-bird

HSC
oooh, i would define friend as someone you share a mutual respect for, someone you talk and laugh easily with, someone you would trust (with most things...) in a heartbeat, someone with which you can be yourself... yeah. a friend does not need to have the exact same interests as you, i feel, as having different interests can spark some really interesting and fun conversations...

friends make life interesting... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)