What's so great about USYD law? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Besides which, it's highly unlikely that Dean of UNCLE Law is going to go up on stage and give a: "USyd and UNSW Law kids will beat the crap out of you, but don't worry, be happy". Of course he/she's going to say that.

Just as how us USyders get told we're on par with Harvard and Cambridge etc. None of us ever believe it (right?)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
if the USyd law graduate certificate was K-Mart, then the UNCLE one would probably be a T-Shirt on the ground. transfer, it will b the best choice u'll ever make.

NewiJapper

HSC
Our dean used to be a lecturer for USYD law, he believes that we still get just a good of a tertiary education as USYD does. :p

But I would like to transfer mainly because the science program doesn't offer much of a variety of subjects and major areas that Sydney does.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Easy. The law building in USYD is very nice.

The lecture rooms are fab. I want to listen when I sit their, in Carslaw my ass hurts for a week.

compare this to Bosch, Chem and Carslaw lecture rooms which are just wooden planks

izzy88

HSC

The lecture rooms are fab. I want to listen when I sit their, in Carslaw my ass hurts for a week.

compare this to Bosch, Chem and Carslaw lecture rooms which are just wooden planks
yeah the law building is nice- however for half of my law classes this year i'm in quad/carslaw/mereweather :( so its not like if you do law, your guaranteed to have all your law classes there.

i think i had more classes in law building as an arts student in third year, then for my law classes that year.

the library is very nice though, if not completely functional...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

lol USyd

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Our dean used to be a lecturer for USYD law, he believes that we still get just a good of a tertiary education as USYD does. :p

But I would like to transfer mainly because the science program doesn't offer much of a variety of subjects and major areas that Sydney does.
it may very well be the same, but do you get "University of Sydney" on your certificate when you graduate? that makes all the difference.

soporific

HSC
If you *can* transfer, I think you should =)
I know that if you want to transfer to UNSW law, there's an entry pathway where you do a year of commerce and if you get a high credit average/distinction and above, along with a 97+ ATAR, you can transfer (but the requirements vary from year to year depending on the level of competition obviously).

For USYD, I think you do actually need a 97+ ATAR if you want to get into the undergraduate scheme (if I remember correctly from the information day they held not so long ago), along with a pretty decent GPA (distinction+ ?)...if you get a lower ATAR but you get a fabulous GPA (high distinctions) I think there are special circumstances where they consider you... but I remember the lecturer saying that the chances are slim.

But there's always graduate law at both USYD and UNSW, in which case they take solely your GPA.

Another good law school is ANU ... but because it's in Canberra the demand for it is lower and hence the lower ATAR requirement. If you do want to transfer law schools, you should consider ANU too, I'm not sure about the requirements for non-standard/transfer applicants.

From what I've heard, what law school you graduate from *does* matter... because apparently law is a subject heavily based on your "connections" and social networks after you graduate... and USYD/UNSW tend to have great relationships with some of the top firms in Sydney (there's more info about this on the law faculty website of both universities). This is what others have told me anyway.

However, with all this being said, if you graduate from Newcastle Uni with great results, you probably will be considered equally among the USYD/UNSW graduates. I'm pretty sure ranking top of your law cohort will look impressive to employers regardless of what university you attend.

Good luck with everything ^_^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)